Return of the living Dead 2 appreciation

Discussion in 'General' started by Horrorphilly, Mar 18, 2008.

1. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I have always liked part 2. Obviously not as good as ROTLD but it is hard for me to find many movies that are as good as the original.

2. Dave

Dave Pimp

Monsters HD just started showing it and I'm afraid it has the altered soundtrack. I think it's even more altered than the DVD, but I'm not sure.

I swear one day I'm going to rip the LD soundtrack and make my own custom DVD, or maybe a HD-DVD from a MonstersHD transfer. Ugh. So depressing.

3. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

Dave what was the deal that they had to change the music anyhow? Its not that much a of a chore to switch to the french soundtrack for the original score at that certain scene.I do say it is aggravating that they changed it in the first place.

Sean

4. Dave

Dave Pimp

Rights issues, I'm sure. But was that cemetery sequence the only place in which there was different music on the US DVD? Because on the Monsters HD presentation, there were a lot more musical changes.

5. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

part 2 is in HD on xbox live but dunno if it is still the crappy alternate audio version

6. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I'm a huge fan of 2. It's one of my favorite horror sequels of all time.

When I heard of the altered DVD audio my heart dropped to my stomach.

I managed to snag a copy of Fleshwound Video's version (DVD picture, original audio) before they closed shop.

fceurich39 likes this.
  7. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I haven't seen this in ages but I am a big fan of the director's earlier films,the Nazi zombie favorite SHOCK WAVES and the underrated slasher EYES OF A STRANGER.

8. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

One of my most hated films, i watched it at the cinema and was disgusted by it, i gave it another go a few years ago, but still hated it, just don't get the love this movie has.

9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I think a big part of the appeal is the recurring actors in the movie. It's just fun to see those two again.

10. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

I also think a big part of the appeal is it's no longer the "worst" sequel in this franchise. That position is filled by either part 4 or 5 depending on what kind of mood you're in.

I also think it has a lot to do with that even as a bad zombie film goes, it's one of the better made ones in terms of special effects, acting and such. There are more than a handful of truly awful zombie films that make this one pale in comparison in terms of being a bad film.

I personally love this film, the first three ROTLD films are where it's at for me, as hokey and slapstick as part 2 is - it still is a lot of fun and part 3 makes up for that with it's dread filled and serious tone, so it's balances itself out.

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I too always loved this film. I remember recording it (on VHS) after getting the okay from my parents to rent it through whatever On-Demand service our cable company offered back then. I watched it constantly. Now that I think of it, I believe that I saw Part 2 before the original. Good times. :)

12. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I get a kick out of it. My wife groans when I put it on though :p

13. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I love the original but don't get the love for 2. Karen is still a likeable presence. But the effortless and brilliantly staged comedy of the original gives way to shameless mugging in part 2. The gags aren't as good, everyone is trying way too hard, and there's not much going on aside from the failed attempts at humor. It covers exactly the same ground as the original--but not nearly as well.

Horror comedy is a tough tightrope to walk. For me ROTLD 2 is a really uninspired and tiresome movie.

14. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i hate to say it, but based on a single viewing about 6 years ago, i do agree with you. the actors i found so enjoyable in the first one i found really annoying in the second. it just seemed like a poor imitation of the first. i'd be more than willing to revisit it, give it a second chance, but not while the only dvd available to me has an incorrect audio track. i'm waiting for an eventual re-release. if it never comes, well...then it never comes.

15. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Has anyone heard anything about a potential Blu-ray release for this movie anywhere in the world? I know it's not a title in high demand, but I've always enjoyed it despite its stupidity and I've got a gap on my shelf between part 1 and 3 that I'd like to fill.

Harry Warden likes this.
  16. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The odds aren't good. Warner has the rights and couldn't care less about the film.

17. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it's still stuck with Warner Bros, unfortunately. They usually dump a couple horror titles onto blu-ray every September in preparation for Halloween (last year it was the batch of Stephen King titles they released), so it could possibly turn up this September. Other than that, our best bet would be the Warner Archive collection, which occasionally dabbles in horror (Body Snatchers, The Hunger, Wolfen, etc).

Either way, I guarantee the only extras will be the commentary and trailer from the DVD. No new retrospectives. At least there's a decent segment on the making-of on the More Brains DVD.

18. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

If it contained the original theatrical audio, that would be enough of an extra.

19. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Me too. My OCD makes me want to fill that damn gap too. Cmon Shout, or anybody.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Angelman likes this.
  20. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

If it's going to get released, it will probably be via Warner Archives. WB rarely license out their films. I think it would sell well on blu-ray despite the film's obvious shortcomings.

Harry Warden likes this.