Return to Sleepaway Camp

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Agent Z, Nov 17, 2001.

1. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I want to get this, but I'll wait until I find it very cheap!! I've heard very mixed things about it. A lot of people think it is a fun movie, but a bad one!!

2. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Finally watched this last night. Well, it was better than I had expected, but man the first 15 minutes are really annoying. It's like over the top spastic dialog and such. If you can get past that, it becomes more enjoyable.

Basically, after the assistant cook's death

I liked the return of some characters too.

Although, I'm not sure what up with Ricky - gay?

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

4. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

LOL - you just like the theme song.

5. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

gay?

I agree with mutilated prey

"I liked the return of some characters too."

Although, I'm not sure what up with Ricky - gay?
    [/QUOTE]

I got the same vibe from Ricky I was wondering the exact same thing.

6. Luki

Luki New Member

What a let down... I expected something in the vein of teh first movie but this one just had nothing... the acting was even worse, atmosphere was gone and everything went more and more dull as the movie went on to a highly predictable end. I enjoyed some parts but as a whole -and I am sorry to say that- this movie was simply bad.

7. This was awesome and a lot of fun. I'd like to mention something about the movie, so how do I post a spoiler? I have no clue lol

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

[ spoiler ]enter the spoiler text here...[ /spoiler ]

just remove the spaces in front/back of the [ and ] shown above in bold and it'll work correctly here, and then look like this:

enter the spoiler text here...

9. The fat kid saying "Your ass smells" was pretty funny at least and the movie itself was good, but having no commentary sucked

10. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

i really want to see this!! im a HUGE fan of the whole series, (especially the first one) all of them are great!!

i really want to see this one!!

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

LOL me and a couple of my buddies rented this the other night, got high and watched it. This movie's a fucking riot! I mean it's really cheesy, and it's CLEARLY B-Movie material, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

That fat kid, though. I wanted to kill that fucker. Best part of the movie though:

Fat kid: "I hate you all! I hope you fucking die!"
    Chef: "What a douche!"

~Matt

12. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

Watched this for the second time last night, and it was a lot of fun. Just as cheesy as the original, with some of the same charm. There are some great death scenes as well. Good stuff, and worthwhile viewing.

13. I just wish the friggin' price would go down. And I'm still puzzled as to why there isn't a commentary. Supposedly the production has quite a history and maybe the director didn't want to step on any toes, perhaps.....

14. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Hoping that I will be unwrapping this in two days, if not I'll be buying it immediately thereafter. Shopping for me can be an embarrassing experience, as my girlfriend and poor mother have seen...doesn't stop me from putting Pieces, Sleepaway, and Poultrygeist on this year's want list, though.

15. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I received this as a gift. What a great gift.

16. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

dang! i didnt get this for x-mas!! it was on my list...
    oh well! thank god for gift cards! ;)

(instead of RTSC i got An American werewolf in london...finally)

17. Bad_Ronald_1983

Bad_Ronald_1983 New Member

Awesome! Not as good as the original, but really good, and I liked it better than 2 and 3. It was cool to see some of the old cast as well. Did anybody notice a small line across the picture on the DVD?? Looks like a faint tracking line.

-MATT-

18. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

"Return" was ultimately an entertaining little camp slasher endeavor,but what I saw on the DVD certainly didn't explain the release lag.As for the specific delay for "improved effects",stoner weed's(Adam Wylie)demise was the only truly disturbing gag in the flick.That boy paid for his substance-abusing ways-in full.The scene did harken back to the beloved Pam Sprinsteen sequels,with the drug-free admonition over the taped mouth,but even that made me smile. I found Bella the foodhound's end to be hysterical,as well as satisfying.Good to see a little diversity character-wise,and the one thing that girl did bring to camp was attitude(not to mention every snack cake in existence).Nice blood flow from the nail-embedded body,the MPAA usually would be all over that . Most everyone else(head in a birdcage,for Chris's sake?!)should have approved his/her death before signing on.Really,they should've.

The campers were effectively mean-spirited,(antagonistic,at the very least).TC (Chris Shand)was a decent jerk,though he could've gone farther to torment Alan..the look was right,but he seemed too nice at times,almost like his real personality was bleeding through.Petey seemed like a caricature to me.Worst of all-ALAN!!Is he a frightened fatboy-wimp,or a secret bunkmate bully?I get that he was constantly being picked on by the older,tougher staff and peers,and transferred the mistreatment right back to the younger ones..but something didn't gel.The whole"Your ass stinks" line was just..yeah.Was it the actors?The lines handed to them?(Both?)Call me nuts,but I believed in every one of the original actors' portrayals.M-E-G was a bitch of the highest order.

On the other hand,I doubt I'm alone when I admit to preferring the "every camp has asshole kids,not everyone deserves messy death " approach of the first.In Hiltzik's original,even cool kids like Paul eventually found their asses mutilated.Granted,he fucked up royally involving himself with Judy the scumbag for twenty minutes of the movie,but he seemed like a good guy who sort of wandered off the main camp trail and found himself at the slut's doorstep without really knowing how he got there.Angela's confused sexuality thang also played into the ultra-creepy waterfront climax(bringing me to another sorely missed element in the new installment,the twisted bi-sexuality of the original),but the guy just didn't deserve to end up with his smiling face resting against crazy boy's junk."Return had no sympathetic characters,no one to identify with.Even would-be Final Girl Karen's status as a follower made her unlikable,and therefore fair game.

Also,why did so many deserving of graphic disfigurement live through the massacre?The blonde bimbo lifeguard with inflatable hoo-ha's?Ugly panties-on-the-head boy(a panty-raid themed slaying ,which the trailer lead me to believe would befall him,would've been super)Karen the skank?Marie?The annoying kitchen assistant who called Alan "Fatty-fat-fat"?..need I go on?Lets raise that body count!

The bastard camp employees got off too easy,too.. who the hell edited that dick-ripping scene?Fifteen minutes of build-up,then nah-thing?No prosthetic weenie dragging and bumping along the ground behind the jeep?Linda,still alive and gurgling with nary a drop of gore,aside from the red paint application under the rubber barbed wire?

Lovely Felissa Rose was a welcome addition to the cast,but wasn't she like,way over the top,screaming her lines?And that freeze-frame in mid-laugh?It was..spoofy,dammit!Jonathan Tiersten,you've never been a great thespian,its true..but your "homage" cry of "ANGELLLLAAAA!" was unnecessary and ridiculous.Worked better when you were twelve.The current bleach/dye job should earn you a nice place as bitch of the week at the local S&M club.Hiltzik,what happened?Two or three gruesome deaths do not a great slasher make.

Lastly in my rant,where was the sex?The skinny-dip scenes?I don't recall so much as a bra shot,and these chicks were endowed.Give me extra meat and cheese on my tacos,or don't give them to me at all.

Bottom-line-I'd rather have it than not.Its a fun,mediocre slasher that brings back old favorites,and introduces a few new ones.Enjoy it for what it is.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  19. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

FINALLY got around to watching this just now, I thought it was HILARIOUS! That one gag with the spear and the whole in the floor and then the dude screaming with panties on his head? PRICELESS.

My wife laughed even more than I did, it was ridiculously funny and the kills were REALLY good.

I expected a piece of garbage after all the posts on here, so finding something so fun was neat.

20. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I really like it.:banana: