Return to Sleepaway Camp

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Agent Z, Nov 17, 2001.

1. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I liked it as well. On par with Part III for me. Though the original beats the hell out of all of them.

I think people were just not fans of this before it came out, what with the delays and such. That could be it, since it turned out better than most slasher of the 2000s. Not that that's saying anything.

2. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Just watched this for the first time and I'd say it's the best of the sequels, but is still a terrible movie. They really should've just stopped after the classic original.

3. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

I finally got around to checking this out a few weeks back and I actually really enjoyed it. Completely fun and outrageous. "Your Ass Stinks!" is probably going to be my new "King Insult" for awhile. :D

That said, I actually prefer part 2 to the original, so mayhap I'm not the best person to ask about their opinion on the movie, lol.

4. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I saw this about two weeks ago.

While I did crack up a bunch of times during this movie, seeing Alan on screen after about 20 minutes made me cringe. Such a "nails on a chalkboard" performance that just annoyed the living shit out of me. Reminded me of my little brother when we were kids, which didn't help at all.

The kills were fun (when they actually happened) and I'm glad they brought some old cast members back, but overall the constant torment and whining of Alan really turned me off to this movie. It seemed like it never ended.

5. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

Is this even out in the U.K.? I can't find it anywhere!

6. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Your ass stinks! I've watched it probably fifteen times, but I need to watch it again soon.

7. CaptHowdy

CaptHowdy Guest

The fat kid was probably the most annoying character I have ever seen. The 2nd and 3rd sequels are far superior, IMHO.

8. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

I just got done watching this and I have to say overall, it was all right.

I don't think it's any worse than the other films in the series, aside from the first film, the sequels are pretty much what this is...with some few minor differences.

You can say whatever you want about this film but it does feel closer to the first film than any of the original sequels do. Unfortunately, it's made about 20 years too late and feels almost half assed.

The biggest qualm for me about this movie was you didn't like ANYONE, not even the poor tortured Alan. He's just as much of an instigator as the rest of them are and everytime he opens his mouth, you know someone's going to do something to him. That's the other thing, something's ALWAYS happening to him. I don't think there is one frame of this film where this kid isn't being picked on by someone including the counselors who are supposed to be caring for him.

Now I've never been to summer camp before, but I can almost bet counselors don't take pleasure in watching a kid nearly drown or get stripped down in front of everyone so they can all gawk at him. I know it's supposed to be this great big thing where Alan "snaps" after so much, but I mean come on - it's every other scene for crying out loud. Not that I was expecting any bit of character development but jeez the only reason you know anyone in this film is because their name may be mentioned more than once or they've returned from the original film. Not to mention there is not a single character you feel an iota of sympathy for with maybe the exception of one or two of the counselors - the one accused of being Angela, I can't remember her name because her part is so brief or Ronnie who I think can handle his own, but you can't help yourself. Everyone else is just slasher fare which although is pretty typical, you can usually find at least ONE main character who you can stick to. That's the whole idea isn't it?

The other thing this film lacked was any bit of a story - I know I'm beating a dead horse here - but all we're subjected to is a scene with someone or multiple people picking on Alan, someone dying, Alan getting picked on, someone dying, rinse, repeat until done. That's the entire film in a nutshell.

With that said, I still didn't mind it. It's your basic run of the mill slasher, nothing worse or better than the sequels or the original film in this series or any of the other FRIDAY THE 13TH knock offs that followed.

I really was expecting the worst when I saw this, judging by all the negative reviews I read when it came out I'm sure everyone can understand why, but I just decided to give it a shot and I'm not thrilled I did, but I'm not disappointed either.

9. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

I simply cannot get hold of this film :( :( :(

10. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I bought it like 6 months ago. I probably should watch it. Maybe by 2018.

11. Korngold

Korngold New Member

I know I rented the film on my 360. If I could ever wish to get two hours of my life back, it would be for this film.

12. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Return to Sleepaway Camp comes out tomorrow on DVD. I watched it over the weekend. Within the first five minutes it convinced me that it was written and directed by Robert Hiltzik, the genius behind the original. This is one of the most fulfilling horror film sequels I've ever seen. If you love the original, you'll love this. Go buy it tomorrow!

13. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Return to Sleepaway Camp has been out on DVD since November 2008...

14. rhett

rhett Administrator

In Canada they have this sucker at The Real Canadian Superstore for like $5 new. It's in the bargain bin. Best $5 you'll ever spend if you like the old skool. Your ass stinks.

15. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

REally? Shit. Amazon was telling me it comes out tomorrow. Ah well I will hit the Superstore for sure. This one flew under my radar I guess. Man my ass stinks...

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I'm going to have to check out their DVD bin this week.

17. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

The kid spouting your ass stinks every few minutes at least gave this flick something memorable like it or not.

18. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Well, while we're at it, any news on the Michael Simpson SC sequel?

19. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

It's in the "3 for $10" bin at the ones here, such a great deal for such a ridiculously funny movie.

20. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Cheaper still I saw it at zellers last week in a 6 for $6 previously viewed pack. Autopsy and Jack Brooks Monster Slayer where also in different packs.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010