Return to Sleepaway Camp

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Agent Z, Nov 17, 2001.

1. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I've noticed Wal-Mart getting a lot of the DTV horror and titles like this in general, but you may be safer ordering it online.

2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i guess target stores will carry it says at http://sleepawaycampmovies.com/ and i called them and they said it should be sundays ad and they are definitly going to carry it

3. Mitbox

Mitbox Member

Oh my God, I can't wait to see Return to Sleepaway. I love the franchise and hope the guys that brought it back do well with this one.
    Where did the people saw this if the release date is 11-4?? I guess it leaked or something?

4. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    Alright, I am about to head out to Target and call them on their bluff. Their website shows no evidence of the DVD. If they don't have it, I checked Best Buy and it is in stock. *fingers crossed*

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The local Target here "unfortunately did not get any in stock", and it wasn't in their weekly newspaper flyer or the one posted on their website.

I picked it up at Hastings earlier.

6. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    My Target had a few copies left (it looked like it was selling pretty well for 10am) but the 19.99 price tag was too steep.

7. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Found this used(!) at an indie record store. It kept me amused and the kills were fun. Not bad, but a step down from the other sequels. Stick around after the end credits for another kill.

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I had a blast watching it! Completely goofy and a ton of cheesy fun. I can see this one getting a lot of replay value in my abode. :evil:

Is it anything like the original? No, not really. This one is more of a slapstick, which reminded me somewhat of Camp Slaughter.

The DVD is nicely done. The 16x9 progressive-encoded transfer looks quite good, and there's plenty of extras. A commentary track with Robert Hiltzik would have been nice to listen in on, but oh well.

9. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Ugh, I have to disagree with a lot of you on this one. I didn't have high expectations for "Return" seeing how long it took for it to get released, but holy hell this was painful. After about three scenes with that damn Alan shit, I glanced towards my liquor cabinet thinking it's contents could help dull my criticisms but noticed it was only 1:30 in the afternoon and decided otherwise. Being a big fan of the first film, I wanted to like this, but found none of the humor remotely funny or unique.

Sure, I know this was made all in good fun and for the fans, but could they have made the "surprise ending" any more obvious?

10. gore

gore Guest

Is it at least better than Hatchet?

11. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Blasphemy ...

12. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I'm with this guy. I've been seeing some praise for this here and on some other sites but I thought it absolutely sucked. And I thoroughly enjoyed Part 2 and 3. Apart from a slightly clever joke calling Big Pussy a Big Pussy I didn't find any of the intentional humor humorous. The sub-Salute Your Shorts acting didn't help. And that kid who kept saying "Your ass stinks", My god, I haven't wanted to harm a movie character this badly since RENT.

I'm glad you guys liked it and all, but this one is not for me apparently.

13. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Yeah, but Salute Your Shorts was inspired by Sleepaway Camp so it's all good.

14. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

"Hey, can you play Intergalactic on that thing?"
    I watched this one last night with my semi-delinquent nephew, we both laughed our asses off. I got enough enjoyment out of this one to be happy with it. Some scenes were painful. What a mess it is, but that's what you get when you ignore everything important and spend all your time making fun of people, slacking ass, smoking pot and raising hell...which perfectly describes my own childhood experience, lol.
    The gestures and expressions on the faces of the kids were just priceless, every one of them...I felt like smacking a whole bunch of characters, not just Alan. The style is so unusual with a dash of The 3 Stooges. Great fun.

15. gore

gore Guest

Hehe, you watched RENT :D just kidding.....but seriously..

I just shelled out a 20 for this (BB). I havent watched it yet but I really do have high hopes. Gunna make it a friday night viewing so I REALLY hope it doesnt, well, suck. I just have a good feeling after watching the trailers that it has that 80's charm to it. Even the sets and characters look like they catch that 80's vibe and it doesnt look too sci-fi originalish. Fingers Crossed!

16. MrVess

MrVess Guest

It is, actually (but what isn't?). Instead of the "ha-ha, I'm a self-conscious copy of a bad Z-grade slasher from the 80s, see me attempt to spoof them in what I think are witty ways!" attitude of "Hatchet" and other similarly awful films of recent years, this one has a "I am a resurrected, bad Z-grade slasher from the 80s, and I'm proud of it" attitude, which actually works for it. It's still a terrible film, but an amusing one, unlike "Hatchet" and its ilk.

17. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

Such an amazing film. With it's so-bad it's good attitude I was transported right back to the 80's.

18. gore

gore Guest

I agree. I dont get why its getting such bad reviews everywhere. I had a great time watching it. A lot of people are saying how much they hated the fat kid and how annoying he was but I think that was the whole point. This movie worked on so many levels, it is a so bad its good movie. I will definetly watch it again sometime, unlike hatchet, decent, and all the other hyped up garbage I have wasted my money on. Recommended.

edit. Apparently I am the only dumbass who didnt realize who the killer was. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2008
  19. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

I just checked out Blockbuster and Jumbo Video here with no luck, anyone know if this is even released in Canada?

20. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

It's available (for a steep price) from Amazon.ca. I've ordered it from the States and should have it before the end of next week.

But I don't think retail locations are stocking it. Had checked Best Buy, Blockbuster, HMV, and Wal-Mart. Nothing. Same goes with Poultrygeist.