Revelations of hi def viewing

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Fistfuck, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

In a conversation with Grim the other day, I mentioned how in a recent viewing of Friday the 13th (upconverted from SD) I noticed things that I had never seen before. Grim enthusiastically stated the he noticed the same things I had. This got me thinking of hi definition, the era we are moving into, and what it means for older viewer such as ourselves, who grew up accustomed to TV, VHS, and DVD copies of films, and are now experiencing them in a different way for the first time. Of course, there are some who had scene the original F13 theatrically, but if they're anything like me, their memory draws more from repeat viewings at home. Over the summer, I remarked to myself and anyone who would listen about how watching Halloween II upconverted felt like an entirely new experience. I think this is a positive for an era of people who feel like they've lost something with extinguishing of video rental stores and the instant gratification of Netflix and video streams.. Perhaps nothing will take the place of being a child or adolescent, peeling off from your mother at the supermarket to go stand in the video rental section, and turning over box after box in wonderment of the potential all these films held. But I think this is an acceptable replacement.

I'm interested in hearing everybody's revelations upon viewing much-loved classics for the first time in high definition. Here are a few of my own.

Halloween
    -When Annie, Laurie, and Linda are walking home and Michael drives past in the car, I never realized you could actually make his mask out.

Friday the 13th
    -When Ned goes to meet his doom, for the first time I saw Mrs. Voorhees in all her glory, look at him, and turn to go inside the cabin. This actually adds a creepiness to a scene I never thought much of.
    -Titles of books, signs in the background.
    -Confirmation of when Brenda thinks she sees something in the woods from the dock, there's nothing there. I always thought I was missing out on something I just couldn't see.

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Watching Dawn of the Dead (1978) on blu made the leap to high definition worth it for me. There isn't even a single moment that I can single out. The entire movie is so beautifully restored. I can't even watch DVD's on my upconverted DVD player anymore.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The Boys from Brazil is perhaps the single finest upgrade on Blu I've seen, compared to the crappy old non-anamorphic DVD releases.

Not only is it a giant leap in colors, contrast and visible details, there is also more picture information on all four sides of the transfer.

Reviews:
    http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Boys-From-Brazil-Blu-ray-Review/1141/
    http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/34060/boys-from-brazil-the/

DVD Beaver review and screen comparisons: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/boysfrombrazil.htm

The revelations are really too many to name. You could hardly see any background detail in the old DVD, where now you can see a ton of details otherwise never seen before on a home format of the film.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  4. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    Dawn of the Dead - When the bikers are running amok through Jc Pennys, and a biker leaves a squeal-out trail on the floor, if you look to the far right of the frame, you can see two people rolling around on the carpet samples, making out.

5. Fistfuck

Great find, ekent. I'm going to pop in my UE disc and look for that myself.

6. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I really need to buy Dawn of the Dead.

I can say that Blu Ray has made me excited about watching movies again. Not that I ever lost enthusiasm, but I feel like a little kid watching films. I bought and watched the new Star Trek yesterday and loved it even more than I did watching it in the theatre. I watched Dark Knight twice in the same week on Blu and again, liked it more than I did in the theatre. I recently got Hardware (one of my favorite Blus so far, since I have a lot to compare it to) and it was like watching it again for the first time, when I ran (I was a projectionist) and saw it in 35mm, bought the original VHS release, then a Hong Kong VCD of the uncut version and the recent Region 2 DVD which wasn't very impressive. I'm loving Blu Ray. I just have to stop myself from blowing a fortune running out and buying everything from the past year (which I specifically didn't buy because I knew I'd go Blu) and upgrading all my older films! I definitely read the reviews before I upgrade anything, unless it is a film I've never owned on DVD and want to rewatch it. I've done this with a couple I've found for under $10.

7. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

The big purple curtains with the golden scribblings on them on Suspiria. It's the scene that follows Harper's discovering of the secret crypt. The movement of the curtains, and the glister of the drawings created a magical blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment that was totally lost on the letterboxed VHS I owned.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  8. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Hi Def viewing is indead nearly jawdropping for me in some cases. The first Blu disc that I bought was The Shining. It blew me away. I always loved this film in all of its glory. The beautiful scenery, the isolated location and the claustrophobic feeling that the film conveys, but even though the scenic beauty of this film is awesome, what stood out the most for me was the colors and the detail. The carpeting in the hotel. The sunlight cast throught the windows. The color of the walls. The detail in the draperies. It was an entirely new viewing experience for me. I saw The Shining in the theater and yet watching it in Hi-Def was like never having seen it before. Simple items like utensils in the hotel kitchen or lighted exit signs in the stairwells are small details that jump out at you. Normally, they would be like ambiant noise in the background and you wouldn't notice these small things. Now, since items are brought out with so much vibrant color and depth, it makes the viewing of this film so much more natural and believable in some strange way..almost like being there next to these characters. The Shining was different for me on Blu, because with the vibrant colors, it almost gives you a false sense of security. The hotel is portrayed as being warm and welcoming in a way, only to appear that much more menacing in the end.

I cannot wait to view Friday the 13th and Dawn of the Dead in Hi-Def. It sounds like they are really well done on Blu.

9. kcgaidin

kcgaidin New Member

How about the stuff that you can see on blu-ray that wasn't meant to be be seen? Boogers in Sean Connerys nose in The Rock after they swim/fireball scene...or some other movie where there was an action seen and after the actor is breathing very hard and you get to watch his giant nose hair blow in and out with each breath :)

10. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I just picked up Twilight Zone the movie used for $10. Didn't buy the DVD when it came out, so this will be a major upgrade from my DVD-R I made from the VHS tape. Can't wait to watch it!

11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yeah the Shining Blu-Ray is a big step up from the DVD. Same with Poltergeist. I love Halloween on Blu-Ray as well.

12. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

The Shining, Romero's Dawn of the Dead, and the first 3 Connery Bond films were all jaw droppers for me. I've seen all of them countless times--which really made it easy to recognize the astounding leap in quality.

For me, the format really isn't about moments so much as the kind of constant child-like exhilaration that several people have already described. The background clarity in the Goldfinger Miami scenes finally made me realize the tremendous limitations of DVD. It just isn't capable of rendering anywhere near the same depth of field as film. Done right, Blu-ray is a huge upgrade.

Fabric patterns and facial textures are consistently amazing on BD. A lot of actors must be unhappy about how pock-marked their skin appears in hi-def.

13. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

Watched Carpenter's The Thing countless times but didn't realise Doc had a nose ring till I watched it on Blu.

14. Fistfuck

what!?

15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, the blu-ray of The Boys From Brazil looks fucking INSANE. Oh my God, that has to be one of the greatest leaps in image quality I've ever seen. Holy hell. I'm ordering this off amazon UK. I've only seen about half of it when it was on TV one time and liked it, but held off on buying the DVD because it was non-anamorphic. Didn't even know there was a blu-ray release. Fucking awesome.

~Matt

16. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Yes, that's another thing I noticed as well. A really quirky touch to the usually really reserved Richard Dysart.

17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'll have to see if that shows up in the 35mm print

(yes, that was my passive-aggressive way of bragging that i'm gonna get to see The Thing in two weeks)

18. HoldenMcNeil

HoldenMcNeil Member

I personally loved the An American Werewolf in London Blu-Ray. The make up for zombie Jack looked amazing in 1080p.

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Wise choice! ;) You won't be disappointed in the Blu-ray.

I also grabbed the 2-CD Jerry Goldsmith Soundtrack put out by Intrada last year, which is a beautiful presentation.

20. rhett

rhett Administrator

I saw that the big old black lady tenant in THE TOOLBOX MURDERS has a mustache. Why, Bluray, why???