Revelations of hi def viewing

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Fistfuck, Jan 23, 2010.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

You live in Cali and this will be your first time with it? Christ, it's already been up here in the midwest! The print we watched was very red in hue - I'd be interested to know if yours had similar emulsion breakdown. And yes, you can see the nose ring. :)

2. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Holy Shit Matt. I didn't know there was a Blu-Ray release of The Boys From Brazil either? Is this region 1? Who released this? This is one film I held off buying on DVD as well. All I could ever find was a piece of crap full-screen release on Artisan.

3. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

It's a British release, I believe, but the Blu-ray has been confirmed as all regions.

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yes, the Blu-ray is coded for all regions...it will play anywhere.

ITV released it. And even though it's a UK released Blu-ray, it comes packaged in a standard HD Slim Case, and not the thicker HD Keep Case as most from the UK do.

5. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

as already mentioned here, Doc's nose ring in THE THING. I have seen this movie in every format (except theatrical), and never noticed this before. wow! that Blu Ray looks incredible.

and....

while watching Friday the 13th part 2 during the opening flashback scene, right before Jason jumps from the water and tips over the canoe, you can see what looks like possibly a straw used for breathing right in the area Jason jumps from. I' have never noticed this before.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

It's played in LA, yes, but not here in San Diego. I've had friends who've gone to LA to see it and said they got a real good print. Hopefully with none of that red you speak of.

7. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

I noticed the nose ring on the second DVD release, but not until I saw it on my new, giant widescreen television. Haven't gotten the Blu yet, was planning on getting it from Amazon when they had it for $9.99, but it went off sale before I got around to picking it up.

Nose rings were very rare in the early 80s, and would have been almost unheard of on a 50-60 year old man. For a little context, most people thought it was unusual when Izzy Stradlin of Guns and Roses had a nose ring back in 1987.

8. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I just picked up Batman Begins for $8 used. I popped it in and wasn't as blown away as other releases, so I started to get unhappy that I bought it. Then I put the DVD into my DVD player and sunk it up with the Blu Ray and went back and forth. There are scenes where background details are so mind blowing compared to the DVD, that now I'm happy I picked it up. There are cityscapes whereas in the DVD the buildings in the background are just smudges. On the Blu Ray, you can see the windows!

9. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Yeah, I noticed that too and thought it was pretty amusing.

10. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

For me, it's not so much things I've noticed that I hadn't noticed before, but more the revelation of how good so many of the older, low budget films really do look.
    Take, for instance, the Blu-Ray release of "My Bloody Valentine." Most of us probably only saw this film on VHS. I, for one, always felt like this film, and others like it, were done justice by their VHS presentation. However, on Blu-Ray, we can see the film essentially as it was presented theatrically- probably better in a good home theatre. A picture that I always assumed was soft, fuzzy and nearly free of fine-detail is now gorgeous- sharp, fine-grained, and full of detail. It has completely changed my opinion of the production values of many of these older low-budget films.
    Blu-Ray displays several obvious improvements over DVD- sharpness, fine detail, and depth of color. All of these factors lend themselves to a more pleasant and accurate presentation. The biggest improvement I see comes from the increased fine detail- grain. Film grain is now, in many cases, presented accurately and, in my opinion, adds so much character to many films- especially horror films.

11. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Watching the Halloween 35th Anniversary blu. Just noticed the rake leaning up against a tree in Laurie's walk toward the Wallace house.

12. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Chris Lemon's tight jeans/bulge is now become too obvious in the "Just Before Dawn" Blu. Very distracting actually :)

13. zombiehorror

zombiehorror Member

You could always see that....well maybe not on vhs....it is a twig that is on Jason's head! He was not completely submerged but only hiding behind the canoe waiting for the director's cue!

Personally I've found that anything I've ever heard someone say is "now visible because of Blu-ray" could always be fou d on a great dvd release! I think a lot of folks are watching Blu-rays looking for the smallest details whereas before they were just watching the movie! I find that a high quality print or better yet a down converted HD print on dvd is just as enjoyable as a Blu-ray for my viewing pleasure!

Some "only on Blu-ray" stuff that I've heard; TCM, all the dents, dings and scratches on the vanand you can read the signs at the gas station....all this is visible on dvd!

Frankenstein, Baron Frankenstein has a huge bump on his neck...this is visible even in the first dvd release!

The Scarecrows make up actually has a burlap sack pattern....also clearly visible on older dvds!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  14. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I noticed that. (And I still have never seen a Blu Ray film. Ever.)

15. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Same here. Hell I noticed it on the VHS version.

16. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Why is that?

17. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Poor Person.

18. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I see. Blu-ray's are the reason I'm poor. :D Drives my wife nuts.