Rhett's Halloween Top Ten 2011

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

This list is nuts--I have not seen the majority on here.

You are so well-versed in these lesser-known films; really speaks to your knowledge of the Slasher subgenre.

I hear ya about how the times they are a-changin'--fewer evenings free to watch films, etc. But hey, it sounds like you are putting your time to good use, Rhett. Keep us posted on your film project!

2. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Interesting list! I love reading your reviews and thoughts on films as your passion always shines through your excellent writing. I am embarrassed to say that I haven't seen a lot of them, and I consider my self a slasher fan. Glad to see Halloween 5 make the list though, it too is a favourite of mine, and agree it has one of the best October atmospheres. I don't know if I would say it's my favourite sequel (I would put part 3 and 2 over this) but I do think it is better then the overrated part 4.

3. MarkWarner

MarkWarner New Member

The part where you talk about Girard letting Pleasance go into full batshit crazy mode is exactly what I don't like about H5. Girard doesn't seem to know what restraint means. Loomis becomes almost as psychotic as Michael, especially near the end of the film. The kills are all done to excess (and would have been even worse had the MPAA not come in with the scissors) and what little atmosphere the film has doesn't show up until two-thirds of the way through the film. I'm glad people like it (someone has to), but it's a mediocre slasher film, and it only manages to be mediocre because of all the truly awful slasher films in the 80s.

With that said, the laundry chute scene kicks ass. :D

4. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Interesting list. Still don't view H5 as anything more than just "watchable" but perhaps, its time I gave it a fresh look.

Oh, and 4's mask > 5's mask, bigtime. 5 has probably my least favorite mask of the series. Something about the massive neck area just seems awkward.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011