Rhett's Top Ten Discs of 2008

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Dec 31, 2008.

1. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

:fire:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  2. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

After watching FINAL EXAM a few days ago, I would color myself a fan of the film. Yes it's slow and there's barely any blood (gasp!) but I liked the characters. Radish and Wildman are stereotypes, sure, but they had me interested in what happened to them. I had fun with it and plan on picking it up soon.

EDIT: I also like Human Beasts. Am I going to spontaneously combust now?

3. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Pieces is probably my top DVD release of the year. BCI is definitely the company of the year, too bad they're now gone.

4. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Damn you Rhett!! I've been going back on forth as to whether to order White Dog and Faces of Death for about 2 months now. Time to just fucking do it.

5. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

No doubt about it, Poultrygeist is my DVD of the year. Awesome movie, awesome extras.

I can't believe I just said that, but Poultrygeist is just magnificent.

6. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

My top DVD'S
    10.Sweet Sixteen
    9.The Mist
    8.The Beyond
    7.Tenebre
    6.The Unseen
    5.Final Exam
    4.Beyond the Door
    3.Bloody Moon
    2.Savage Streets
    1.Pieces

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  7. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Vampyr's dvd release was awesome, great extras.

8. Enutz666

Enutz666 Member

10. Final Exam
    9. Night of the Livng Dead(one of the best making of docs)
    8. The Unseen
    7. Salo
    6. Savage Streets
    5. The Mist
    4. Beyond the Door
    3. Poultrygiest
    2. Pieces
    1. Faces of Death

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Why do you think I never post any of my own. :D

The Argento transfers were polished up versions of the decade old LD transfers, nothing more. So they digitally removed some black bars, put it through a comb filter and tossed some sharpening tools at it. Yeah... that's a lot more impressive than say the chemical restoration work done on Vampyr which spanned years and vaults across the globe.

As for The Mist, I'm well aware of how the Coens shot Man Who Wasn't. And if you look at the color footage you can clearly see they shot it only with B&W in mind. The Mist is the opposite situation. The director specifically stated they finally decided to do a B&W version after the movie was shot. They may have thrown some contrast boosting on the B&W transfer, but that'll only make the blacks blacker and the white whiter. It doesn't change the bigger problems of color values that are roughly the same. This is what I'm talking about. If the background is the same value as the foreground it does matter how black your blacks are, you're not going to get separation. It's most apparent at the beginning when they're outside in the day light, everything kind blends together. Also when the father and son are laying in the aisle on the first night and they're trying to coax him to sleep. Everything's the same shade of gray. It's a gimmick at best, hardly one of the best features of the year.

10. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

It's nice to see some love for Code Red's release of The Unseen. It's a great little pseudo-slasher, and I really enjoyed the interviews. Code Red discs, with their makeshift interview locations, may not have the polished appeal of big company releases, but they are obvious labours of love.

For pretty much the same reasons, I love the release of Final Exam - another underrated slasher which is definitely not one of the best, but remains enjoyable thanks to its own unique atmosphere and minor technical triumphs (with a couple of cleverly shot sequences in the final chase).

11. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Loved the Savage Streets dvd, Final Exam was great too but not as loved as a whole film. Haven't picked up Mausoleum yet since hearing it's cut, although it's still very tempting and I'll break down sooner or later.
    Let me just say THANK YOU for giving these films the respect due. I hadn't seen S.S. in so long it's practically new to me, then to see all those extras is just amazing. Keep up the great work!

Rhett: Pumpkinhead SE should be on the list, I'd even put it on in Child's Play's spot if I had too. Haven't seen a couple on the list, but agree with most of it despite Pumpkinhead not being there.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  12. rhett

rhett Administrator

The way I approached it was this: I tried to give each company who put out great product a slot this year. I didn't want to crowd it with a single company. We all know Criterion puts out great movies, so I didn't want to put both White Dog and Vampyr if it meant taking off Love Me Deadly or The Mist. Same goes with MGM - it was one or the other for me, and I went with Child's Play, since I thought it did a better job with the extras, packaging and overall product. Maybe I should include an Honorable Mention?

13. Great list, as always rhett.

Especialyl since I own most all of the movies on this list in these versions (thank you Amazon). So yeah, great one ...
    ;)