Rights to Halloween up for sale?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mok, Jun 15, 2015.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Halloween 4 in a long time. But when you put it like this, yet another sequel, it looks like even more of a bad idea.

It's like the people in charge just don't get Halloween. Or don't care since they know people will watch just about anything with the Halloween name, I'm specifically talking about those terrible reboots or remakes. I've said it before but one of the best parts in Halloween, and many critics understand this too, is the ending. All these stupid sequels ruin that.

2. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Yes, exactly. I love the original (or course) and I really Love the second one in that it feels like the same night just doom-ier. And the final scenes of part 2 are not ambiguous.

If you wanted to do something with it, do a Netflix or Amazon limited series covering the period from when Michael kills his sister to when he escapes. It could be a character study of Loomis (and Michael) and could fill in the blanks of how Michael knows about Laurie and how he learned to drive (maybe someone around there was giving him lessons!). I think in a series format that could be compelling because it would fill in the timeline rather than just trying to be yet another tacky stalk-n-slash sequel while creating story lines where there really aren't story lines.

3. Stebob1984

Stebob1984 New Member

New info from Halloween Daily News

Halloween Returns writer/director Marcus Dunstan recently gave an interview to reader Darnell Weeks (aka "The Myers Fan"), in which he was incredibly candid and forthcoming about the current status of the film and his high hopes for it, likening it to both this year's Star Wars: The Force Awakens and The Dark Knightin describing his vision for the ultimate comeback of Michael Myers.
    [​IMG]
    Though it is stated in that most of the interview was lost due to "technical difficulties", what remains is still pretty great, and I have to admit that I feel better the more I hear and read Dunstan's comments and intentions regarding the new movie.
    When asked about how the Michael Myers mask will look, Dunstan says it has to resemble the classic profile from the Johon Carpenter's 1978 original Halloween. Of the mask's reveal, likely in an early teaser trailer, the director cites the recent Star Wars: The Force Awakensteaser featuring a familiar yet aged Harrison Ford at the end, stating, "Our goal is to have that Han and Chewie moment." Later, when asked if he wants to make more sequels after Halloween returns, Dunstan, says, "I want to make The Dark Knight." He also says he wants the new film to stand on its own, Aliens and The Dark Knight are fully satisfying films in their own right, but still continue a story and set up plenty of others to come.
    He also seems to confirm that Gillian Jacobs could be joining the cast(?)!
    Other highlights from the interview:
    "Halloween, if you have a semicolon, Returns, I think I put it in an email as a subtitle, but I think it was registered as Halloween Returns, which is fine. I like that, and it works, it does function as what it means to say. But if you commit a violent act, sometimes you get returns. What are the repercussions of being a violent entity? In that case, Halloween Returnscould mean a number of things."
    "I hope, I mean ideally, and this is just the fanboy in me talking, there's some Comic Con or something, and there's this asterisk in the panel or this untitled movie or something. Then when people don't know what it is, and a lot of people are like 'Well, I'm gonna go to the bathroom', it just hits. And no one sees it coming."

"The coolest thing we've done so far is a couple motion tests of potential Michaels."

"I want to see a film shot on film. I want it to be one that stands on its own."

"I really like this actress Gillian Jacobs. She's known for all this comedy on Community, and yet I didn't know her from Community first, I knew her from a movie called Gardens of the Night, which is one of the most wrenching dramas, and she's excellent. I thought, 'I wonder if this great performer would do that again, would like to go there, and I think so."

"Embracing social media, I think one of the first key images has got to be that carefully set up Instagram photo of the mask in profile with that border edge lighting, so you know right away what the intent is. If it looks anything at all disparaging to anybody, than we've failed. Our goal is really to have that Han and Chewie moment."

"We went back to the original screenplay too and just read it, John Carpenter's draft, and timed it with watching the movie, and line for line it keeps the same clock as watching the movie, so if you're reading the pages, it's almost like a shot list."

"Suspense isn't expensive. A karate fight in a burning room is expensive."

"Michael Myers is subtlety and suspense."

You can hear lots more good stuff in the two videos below, and then please sound off in the comments!

As I said, these comments, along with recent Tweets, have me more excited than ever that Marcus Dunstan is in fact the right choice to bring Halloween and Michael Myers back to the big screen. What do you think? Does hearing Marcus talk about the film change your opinion at all?

4. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

New info:

Halloween Returns writer/director Marcus Dunstan recently gave an interview to reader Darnell Weeks (aka "The Myers Fan"), in which he was incredibly candid and forthcoming about the current status of the film and his high hopes for it, likening it to both this year's Star Wars: The Force Awakens and The Dark Knight in describing his vision for the ultimate comeback of Michael Myers.

Though it is stated in that most of the interview was lost due to "technical difficulties", what remains is still pretty great, and I have to admit that I feel better the more I hear and read Dunstan's comments and intentions regarding the new movie.
    When asked about how the Michael Myers mask will look, Dunstan says it has to resemble the classic profile from the John Carpenter's 1978 original Halloween. Of the mask's reveal, likely in an early teaser trailer, the director cites the recent Star Wars: The Force Awakens Teaser featuring a familiar yet aged Harrison Ford at the end, stating, "Our goal is to have that Han and Chewie moment." Later, when asked if he wants to make more sequels after Halloween returns, Dunstan, says, "I want to make The Dark Knight." He also says he wants the new film to stand on its own, Aliens and The Dark Knight are fully satisfying films in their own right, but still continue a story and set up plenty of others to come.
    He also seems to confirm that Gillian Jacobs could be joining the cast(?)!
    Other highlights from the interview:
    "Halloween, if you have a semicolon, Returns, I think I put it in an email as a subtitle, but I think it was registered as Halloween Returns, which is fine. I like that, and it works, it does function as what it means to say. But if you commit a violent act, sometimes you get returns. What are the repercussions of being a violent entity? In that case, Halloween Returnscould mean a number of things."
    "I hope, I mean ideally, and this is just the fanboy in me talking, there's some Comic Con or something, and there's this asterisk in the panel or this untitled movie or something. Then when people don't know what it is, and a lot of people are like 'Well, I'm gonna go to the bathroom', it just hits. And no one sees it coming."

"The coolest thing we've done so far is a couple motion tests of potential Michaels."

"I want to see a film shot on film. I want it to be one that stands on its own."

"I really like this actress Gillian Jacobs. She's known for all this comedy on Community, and yet I didn't know her from Community first, I knew her from a movie called Gardens of the Night, which is one of the most wrenching dramas, and she's excellent. I thought, 'I wonder if this great performer would do that again, would like to go there, and I think so."

"Embracing social media, I think one of the first key images has got to be that carefully set up Instagram photo of the mask in profile with that border edge lighting, so you know right away what the intent is. If it looks anything at all disparaging to anybody, than we've failed. Our goal is really to have that Han and Chewie moment."

"We went back to the original screenplay too and just read it, John Carpenter's draft, and timed it with watching the movie, and line for line it keeps the same clock as watching the movie, so if you're reading the pages, it's almost like a shot list."

"Suspense isn't expensive. A karate fight in a burning room is expensive."

"Michael Myers is subtlety and suspense."

You can hear lots more good stuff in the two videos below, and then please sound off in the comments!

As I said, these comments, along with recent Tweets, have me more excited than ever that Marcus Dunstan is in fact the right choice to bring Halloween and Michael Myers back to the big screen. What do you think? Does hearing Marcus talk about the film change your opinion at all?
    Source: http://www.halloweendailynews.com/2015/09/marcus-dunstan-halloween-returns.html?m=1

5. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

He should be in a Shriners hospital learning Braille.

6. Bobbywoodhogan

7. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

:D ^^^--that's great.

Bobbywoodhogan likes this.
  8. Bobbywoodhogan

From this Twitter response seems the script has definitely had some reworking compared to the one that's been read by others.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

zbinks likes this.
  10. MPC

MPC New Member

It's official. The Weinstein Company (via their Dimension Films label) no longer possess the rights to Halloween, which have reverted to Malek Akkad. Allegedly, Miramax is now shopping the franchise and seeking a new distributor.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/exclus...o-longer-controlling-michael-myers-exclusive/

This can only be a good thing. Maybe Universal, Paramount or WB/New Line will pick this up and give the franchise better treatment than the Weinsteins have.

11. Dave

Dave Pimp

Freddy vs Jason Vs Michael here we come.

Anyway, I was disappointed with what Dimension did with the franchise. I enjoyed H20 - saw it in the theater back in 1998 - but that was when I thought they actually did something ballsy and killed off Michael for good. Silly me.

MPC likes this.
  12. MPC

MPC New Member

Worst case scenario would be if Universal handed over production duties to Blumhouse. Hell no to that.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  13. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I'm cautiously optimistic about Dimension losing the rights to add more films to the franchise. I can't say that I'm heartbroken that we may lose the "Prison Mike" sequel to Halloween II. I really hope we don't get a Platinum Dunes remake of Halloween or Michael Myers vs. ______, either.

I'd like to see a partial reboot that picks up where the original Halloween left off, but severs the biological connection between Michael Myers and Laurie Strode. The sequels / remakes have zeroed in on the extended family of Michael Myers to such an extent, that it's easy to forget just how ambiguous the original film was about the motives of Michael Myers and whether kinship played any role in those motives. We know that he killed Judith Myers, but by the time the credits roll we really don't know why he killed her or that he killed her because she was a blood relative.

othervoice1 likes this.
  14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

This is surprising. Seems like more good should come of this than bad as the Weinstein's have a tendency of getting too involved and fucking films up. Hopefully this ends up in the right hands and we can get some more sequels.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Weinsteins have been on a downward slope for about a decade now right? And the fact that they decided to relinquish this franchise is rather telling.

At this point in my life, I'm kinda OK with a remake. My biggest problems with Rob Zombie's take was the extended opening and all that Hillbilly nonsense. But once it got down to it the Halloween night stuff was pretty good. I could see them taking this forward in a new direction with positive results.

And any sequel is dragging things out 40+ years. And Freddy Vs Jason Vs Myers would only mean two straight men for Freddy instead of one. Plus now that Robert Englund has tapped out the novelty of these legendary fixtures butting heads becomes pure hogwash without a franchise face. At best the new Evil Dead TV series may give Raimi enough clout to try throwing Ash into that mix again.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  16. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I think Halloween's time has come and gone. Same with Friday the 13th. The same with Elm St. I don't doubt that they'll keep pinching these loaves as long as there's a willing audience, but they'll never recapture the magic.

17. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Halloween would be difficult to continue in a present day setting. Friday the 13th is still plausible by sticking teenagers in the woods (especially nowadays if the ability to utilize technology is removed). I think the possibilities with A Nightmare on Elm Street will always be endless.

Steel76, othervoice1 and Zombie Dude like this.
  18. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Imagine if Universal got the rights. Chucky vs. Michael anyone? ;)

19. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I kinda wish that they would have continued on the same track as Season of the Witch, by having new stories set during the holiday.
    Michael Myers will never be as scary again, as in the first two.

maybrick likes this.
  20. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Let it go, dude.

Zillamon51 likes this.