Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (Merged Threads)

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by DVD Connoisseur, May 6, 2002.

1. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Asian Film of the Month - May - Story of Ricky

I've picked Riki-Oh (Story of Ricky) for this month's selection as I think it's a film that crosses barriers. It's part martial arts, part prison drama, part horror....all washed down with OTT action and violence, delivered with a comic twist.

The film is based on a Manga comic and tells the tale of the incarcerated Ricky, imprisoned for taking revenge on the killers of his girlfriend. In prison, Ricky fights for survival and justice against a number of unusual enemies. It's a simple enough tale but one that is delivered in a very entertaining way - I watched it with a very big grin!

Although it appears to have been made on a shoe-string budget, this Hong Kong produced film is high on originality and is a great beer and popcorn movie. Invite some friends over - this film is best enjoyed with company. It's great fun and well worth a rental. I bought blind and certainly don't regret it.

There are a few options to choose from when it comes to purchasing this DVD - there's the Media Blasters version or the less expensive HK release (which I myself purchased). Either purchase is thoroughly recommended as this film has to be seen to be believed!

2. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

SO very ironic since my friends and i just watched this again on Saturday night (i hadn't watched it in months). Such a great movie. I keep it up there with Dead Alive for movies to watch to laugh and be disgusted at at the same time :)

3. Maupin

Maupin Guest

I agree 100%. This is a great movie. The first time I watched it, I knew I was in for something special when the first bully fell onto the broken toy. Get some friends together and enjoy this one. It's one of those movies that is improved by the English-dubbed track, in my opinion. (Not that the Chinese tracks aren't pretty corny, either.)

4. Karm

Karm Guest

If anyone wants to watch this movie then i'd have to say wait for the far superior HKL disc thats due out in the UK in the next few months.

5. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

I already have the DVD< what's this version have to offer that we don't already have?

6. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Guest

Where did you hear this? There is no listing for Story of Ricky on play.com, bensonsworld, or even HKL's own website. And they do list upcoming titles.

7. Karm

Karm Guest

HKL's will restore/remaster it and have a dual language option plus a commentary and maybe interviews. It's actually mentioned on the HKL website under the news headline Three Cheers for the BBFC because they passed it uncut.

8. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I LOVE this movie. It ranks up there with Battle Royale for me. I got this disc based solely on the cover and I cant say how pleased I was with the purchase. The atmosphere of the flick, the death scenes, everything about this movie I loved. I would love to see a full-on SE of this in R1, but i wont hold my breath. I'm just happy that this even GOT a R1 release. Does anyone know what extra scenes are in the uncut version, or is the version out on R1 now uncut? All this talk has made me want to watch it again right now. Off I go........

9. Karm

Karm Guest

Just a quick update - HKL will release The Story of Ricky-Oh in October, not in the next couple of months as i previously said. I can't wait to get my mitts on this one!

10. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky

Based on hype I heard on this forum, I bought a copy of Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky. I got a HK all-region dvd at a collectibles show cheap and I watched it last night. Well, typically I hate kung-fu movies. They always seem ridiculous and unwatchable to me. Riki on the other hand, though of that genre of film, was unintentionally hilarious and very enjoyable. The gore effects are so over the top and made it so entertaining. Now, these effects, mind you, are very fake looking at times, but it's what probably makes this a cult classic. I read that it was based on a Japanese manga series, and the trailer to the film has comparisons to the comic characters, and the film actors, and they were very close. This film definitely had a live-action anime feel to it, though even though it was taking place in the future, it didn't seem futuristic and really didn't have any scifi elements to it. There was a fake but entertaining transformation sequence near the end. All in all this film was a load of fun, and I would highly recommend it, especially as a party film. You could make it into a drinking game. Every time blood flies, take a shot. You'll be drunk in 20 minutes. Check it out!!

11. dolemite

dolemite New Member

I was at a local Suncoast b.s.ing with the mananger and he said that the Tokyo Shock DVD is cut. I can't imagine it since it is extremely violent but he said it was. I really don't want to buy another copy but I hate having censored versions. Anyone know anything or was he just full of shit?

12. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

13. Shannafey

I feel like a salesman, but I got mine through www.yumyumanime.com when they were at the show this past weekend. No, I am not affiliated with them, but they seem to have region 0 dvds of all the stuff we've been looking for. I would think my copy is uncut, but I don't know for sure. I wouldn't think the other version was, but, again, couldn't tell you. One thing I can say, is that the HK version is 86 min. Don't know if this gives any clue or not.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2002
  14. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

that must be the cut version then, the uncut version (atleast the tokyo shock version I have..) is 91 min. long. dunno if there is an even longer verison out there?

15. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

The film is great, and it is suppose to be funny!

16. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

How great is Story of Ricky?

I have heard alot about this movie over the past couple of years. It sounds fun and all. I found this DVD over at xploited cinema but I want some opinions from my fellow dvd nuts around here. Is it awesome? gore? Spoil stuff for me, I don't care. Make me want to buy this or make me stay away from it. :) :)
    Opinions people!

Nick

17. Luna

Luna Guest

It's a great movie. I don't think my explanation would do it justice, so I'll just say it's a movie you absolutely HAVE to see, especially if you love gore
    (for instance: split/crushed heads with brains coming out, a guy using his own intestines to strangle Ricky with, eye gore, meat grinder action, organs everywhere and naturally, disembowelment... woohoo!)
    and kung-fu in large helpings.

Seriously, it's just an amazing movie!

18. Shannafey

I had a fun time watching it, and agree with what Luna had to say.

19. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Prison, kung fu, and a lot of gore. A perfect combination.

20. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

If you have the capabilities, I recomend getting the HKL version. It's R2, but it's the best the movie will ever look and sound. I have it now, and got it from Bensons for about half the price I paid for my R1 disc.