Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by WrongTurnLover, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Kick-Ass Hong Kong/Japanese horror/Sci-fi/fantasy based on a manga! it's gory as hell for it nearly rivals "Dead Alive" for goriest movie of the 90's. I can describe this movie with words for it must be seen to believed, this movie almost blows away such asian gore flicks like "Tokyo Gore Police", "Men Behind The Sun", "Guiena Pig", "Ichi The Killer", "The Untold Story" and "Versus".

A must see!

2. Xtro_13

Xtro_13 Guest

I couldn't agree more. Riki-Oh is one kick ass movie.

3. Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee Member

Riki-Oh is a masterpiece.

4. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I 1st saw this film in the mid 90's when clips were shown on The Daily Show, I then tracked down the film, back in the Craig Kilborn days. Anyone remember that?

5. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I show this one to people who think Re-Animator is an obscure cult classic. Their jaws usually hit the floor within the first 10 minutes.

Hilarious movie.

6. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Yep, this is a true classic, and my personal favorite bad film of all time.

7. Anyone thinks this movie blows away any of those Asian gore flicks i mentioned?

8. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I've seen the film a few times and showed it to some friends. Well worth watching.

Attached Files:

9. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Don't know if you know this or not but there were 3 other films. I don't think they were ever release in the US or Europe.

10. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

For real? I'd love to see those even without any subtitles. But I've never heard anything about that.

I think the films you listed all are different kinds of gore flicks and tough to compare, some being based off comics, some being based off actual events, some just trying to be as over the top as possible. Though for me Riki-Oh has gotten more repeat viewings than any of the others you listed, so in terms of pure entertainment value I think it blows them away, but it might not measure if we're talking about gore only.

11. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

From WikiPedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riki-Oh:_The_Story_of_Ricky

A sequel, titled Dint King, Inside King (aka, Story of Ricky 2 or Super Powerful Man) was allegedly released on video in Hong Kong around 2003-2005. The film was never released in the United States or in Europe, but is available on DVD (without English subtitles) through Panorama Entertainment. The film follows the events that take place in the manga after Ricky breaks out of prison, though apparently no mention is made of this. Oddly, and possibly due to rights issues, the film is built as a stand alone project despite casting Terry Fan Sui Wong in the title role. Even the characters have different names (Ricky's name is He Shen in this film). Fan even sports the camouflage poncho seen in flashbacks and in the manga.

The other two films were anime based on the comics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riki-Oh

Riki-oh was released as two OAVs. The first anime was called Riki-oh: The Wall of Hell (1989). The second one was titled Riki-oh: Child of Destruction (1990). The first one is a retelling of the first few manga and the second is Riki's adventure to find his brother, and stop his devilish cult following.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riki-Oh

BTW, the two animated flicks are on YouTube, I did a search but found nothing but a DVD cover for Dint King, Inside King.

12. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Saw the original in the 90's,a fun,over the top picture,certainly different from your average import.

13. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

:lol: Best movie title ever.

Haha, I didn't think the 2 animated entries were considered part of the 3 other films, I actually own one of them on bootleg VCD, and its...not so great. I would really love to be able to see that other live action one though. Thanks for that info

14. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

If you want it, they sell it here for $6.99

http://www.yesasia.com/us/dint-king-inside-king-hong-kong-version/1004077218-0-0-0-en/info.html

Please note that it's budget was way smaller than the 1st one. I have never seen it so it might suck or you might discover a new classic.

15. Funktion

Funktion Member

Anyone who enjoys this film should seek out the director's other works, the guy (Nam Lai-Choi) is quite frankly totally insane! :p
    I've been collecting his work on dvd (well, actually I have 2 or 3 different releases of some of his films), his films never failed to give me an enjoyable time watching them. He did all: from having a CGI martial arts fight between a cat and a dog, flying dead fetuses, a chick cutting part of her breast to give to a guy to delay a blood curse, and many more classics.
    It's a shame the guy pretty much vanished: no known work since the early 90's, and very little information about a director who managed to work for the legendary Shaw Brothers studios.

I seriously advise everyone to check out, at the very least, The Seventh Curse. The film is a blast: it's an adventure/action/martial arts/gore/... film, with a chain smoking, bazooka wielding Chow Yun Fat in a small but memorable role.
    The films trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjLRY6kH9vQ
    And a couple of reviews with plenty of screenshots:
    http://www.stomptokyo.com/badmoviereport/reviews/S/7curse.html
    http://teleport-city.com/wordpress/?p=859

Other films from the same director worth checking out:
    -Erotic Ghost Story: basically a nudity & CGI filled Witches of Eastwick remake...
    A clip of the film (NSFW):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2iGjNC0_So
    -The Cat (aka The 1000 Years Cat)
    -Ghost Snatchers
    -Her Vengeance

These films cost 8-9 bucks from stores like Yesasia (which has free shipping for orders of $39 or over), so it won't cost you more than a trip to the cinema for each.

And another HK gore film not to be missed, for fans of Story of Ricky, from a different director: Robotrix.
    Imagine a cross between Robocop + martial arts + a bit of comedy, plenty of nudity and sex scenes and crazy gore scenes (like a decapitation using a suitcase!).
    Trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLkJRCCe7Ew

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  16. AndresG

AndresG Member

Incredible movie, totally love it, one of my personal faves!

17. Spacevis

Spacevis There's some Dettol in the jeep!

Haha, that looks awesome! This one went straight into my wish list. Thanks for the recommendation!

18. Sinister Ash

Sinister Ash New Member

Riki-Oh's one of the best gore cult classics to come out of HK. I've seen it many times, and can't wait for a blu-ray release.

Robotrix is also an excellent recommendation, cheesy fun.

19. Juggalo Jeff

Juggalo Jeff Guest

Yes Riki-oh is awesome and like Funktion said Defintely check out the Seventh Curse it is awesome as well.

20. Odin

Odin Guest

Does anyone have the Joy Sales remastered version from 2008? How's the picture quality compared to the Media Blasters NTSC Region 1 release?