Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by WrongTurnLover, Jan 20, 2009.

1. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Your shoe's untied.

2. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

That is what I did a double take on. I'm sincerely baffled at the term.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. Natas

Natas Theres no such thing as the boogyman

Bro gore, Bro. Bro gore.

[​IMG]

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  4. DVD-fanatic-9

Or:

and

and

and

and

5. DVD-fanatic-9

and

and

and a billion other copycats.

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

So it felt home made then? I don't think "bro-gore" is an actual term.

7. DVD-fanatic-9

Well, no- I might not describe Story of Ricky as home-made. But, other than that sole factor (budget and aesthetic), I'd say the film is in the same boat as these other films. General phony outrageousness, overtly goofy story, impossibility to take seriously, and the actual feeling of watching it. Which is: exhausting after the first 20 minutes.

If I want to watch this kind of thing done with passion, creativity, and some sense of culture, I'll just watch El Mariachi again.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  8. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I've seen Story of Ricky 4 times and think it is a very entertaining film. I'm a big fan of Hong Kong cinema especially from this time period. Seeing actors I enjoy helps with my viewing experience. I think it's great that Yukari Oshima portrays a man in the film. When I watched the UK blu-ray it had been many years since my previous viewing and the quality was so much better than I could have expected. The gore is over the top and some of it isn't exactly realistic but that is just part of the charm of this film. I've seen Fist of Jesus and to me the two are nothing alike with the exception of the violence.

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  9. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

So to understand the term "bro-gore" I am supposed to wade through over an hour's worth of video? Isn't there a concise one-sentence explanation?

10. Zombie Dude

It's not really a term so I suppose not. My understanding is that it means the gore feels homemade or possibly Troma-like.

11. Natas

Natas Theres no such thing as the boogyman

Aka: low budget. LOL I looked up Bro-gore in the dictionary. Saw this:

[​IMG]

12. DVD-fanatic-9

Put Entourage and Big Bang Theory together in a blender, then have all the characters die like they're in Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead.

Whether that formula takes place in someone's backyard or in a prison, the principles are exactly the same.

I forgot about her. I did enjoy her performance.

That's fair. And, to be honest, I didn't hate it just because it was so absurd. I'm just so unbelievably tired of these things. I'll admit this has nothing to do with anyone here: but, because of Letterboxd, I keep having to join the group on these viewings and no one gets how ridiculously one-dimensional the trend is. I need something more creative than new body parts exploding or a new reason a guy slaps a woman around in an overly comical fashion or the same thing taking place in a new country.

Tell the bros to stop making these things and I'll gladly concede my usage of the term. Until then, I'm using it. Sorry not sorry.

13. Zombie Dude

@DVD-fanatic-9
    Lol, keep using it but just be prepared to utterly confuse most people as to what you're on about...

Steel76 likes this.
  14. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Count me still utterly confused how the term and explanation of "bro-gore" using the analogy of "Put Entourage and Big Bang Theory together in a blender, then have all the characters die like they're in Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead" and all the visual references directly applies to a film from 1991 based off of a bloody and comedic manga? Especially to reference material that all comes decades AFTER the film in question? To make your term appear to make sense, why not just say it's a movie filled with men [in a prison] (BROS) and has lots of blood (GORE)? Posting a bunch of short films that were made after 2005 and clearly geared towards being entered into the Tromadance Film Fest or similar markets really has no tangible connection to The Story of Ricky, a comic book adaptation, other than you could say all contain excessive gore used to comedic effect... Is Dead Alive the ultimate bro-gore (bro as in the lead character is a male) movie? Does Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 fit the cannon?

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  15. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

No. DVD Fanatic is rarely concise and usually has to give a college length thesis explanation on everything, even the mundane.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  16. DVD-fanatic-9

Dead Alive is part satire of melodrama plotlines (since it takes place in-period, I can't say it's a riff on soap operas) and the Evil Dead franchise is intelligent, artful deconstruction of the horror genre. (With the exception of Army of Darkness and the remake. In the case of the former, it's not gory enough and it's way too kiddie-friendly; it's largely Ernest Scared Stupid for adults.)

The Story of Ricky is goofy trash. Like I said in a previous reply, you can't take it seriously as anything other than people's torsos and heads exploding in ridiculous ways.

17. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I still defend Story of Ricky as being an entertaining (if you don't mind violence) martial arts/monster/prison movie. It has a lot of off the wall scenes and really should cater to the type of people that would frequent a site called horrordvds.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  18. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Bro-gore is a stupid as fuck term.

Riki-Oh is amazing though. I remember getting a bootleg of it in the early 2000's and being blown away by the gore and cheese.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  19. DVD-fanatic-9

Didn't really claim it wasn't entertaining. Just that it didn't entertain me because I've seen this kind of thing too many times now. This was made intentionally to shock people but the tone - especially of the imagery - is too goofy.

I don't mind being shocked- filmmakers with talent such as Takashi Miike or Sion Sono didn't pull any punches in their films I've seen, nor did they aim for cartoon stomachs. I even hated Battle Royale, but at least that was a valid attempt to be an adult story. Story of Ricky is a joke in comparison. And the proof is right on the screen.

Here's a pic of Story of Ricky compared to the most juvenile moment in Look Who's Talking Too:

[​IMG]
    Adult Movie / Kids' Movie

Big difference.

No, really. (No...I MEAN it, really.) (Damn- my subtle internet sarcasm app is not working.)

Fixed it for you.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  20. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

No doubt. It's hilarious and criminally underexposed. And although it's not a movie you'd show grandma, I think general audiences would actually get more enjoyment out of it than many of the films we champion here. People who cite Re-Animator as an "obscure but enjoyable" cult classic would probably love Story of Ricky.

Steel76 likes this.