RIP Actor John Heard (1945-2017)

Discussion in 'General' started by cgay2, Jul 22, 2017.

1. cgay2

cgay2 Member

2. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Well that sucks. I watch "Home Alone" religiously every year around Christmas. Defiantly an unsung character actor. RIP

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

John Heard was awesome in C.H.U.D., Cat People, and The Sopranos. Sad news to wake up to this morning. Rest in peace.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I was watching Home Alone on ABCFamily (or Freeform, as they call it now) when I saw the news.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

First thing I said to my wife when she told me the news was "John Hurt? Yeah, he's been dead since like January."

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

R.I.P. :(

I guess he was the third one of the recent celebrity deaths.

7. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Sad to hear this, I'd admired his work since CUTTER'S WAY. Rest In Peace.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  8. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Such a solid performer - he was great with comedy, drama, thrillers, horror. One of my favorites of his is Heaven Help Us, a really underrated comedy-drama from the 80s. Very sad to read this today. RIP

9. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Sad news. :( Time to whip out my C.H.U.D. Blu-ray.

10. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you've already listened to the commentary, Kim, but, if not, you need to do so immediately. Heard and Daniel Stern share great chemistry, and the two of them are hilarious together. It's my favorite commentary of all-time.

For all of his obvious talent, Heard seemed like a very modest, self-deprecating guy who didn't take himself too seriously. I'm really getting tired of so many special performers leaving us in 2017. Someone needs to immediately sacrifice Jonah Hill, Seth Rogen, and James Franco to transfer their youth to Sean Connery, Michael Caine, Ian McShane, and Clint Eastwood.

11. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

To be honest, commentaries are the extras I watch the least. I much prefer interviews and documentaries.

I just always dug Heard's presence in the film. :)

12. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Understood. You might want to make an exception and skip ahead to where Stern and Heard enter the sewer and get locked in. The two of them offer some unbelievably irreverent comments on the action, particularly when they're falling all over each other.

Erick H. and Kim Bruun like this.
  13. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

via Facebook:

Illeana Douglas

Yesterday at 2:20pm ยท
    I am of course devastated to hear of the passing of John Heard. We spoke on Tuesday. I had been trying to make this interview happen for a long time. John was hesitant. I convinced him that there was real interest in him. That people loved him, and wanted to hear from him. So much of of what I wanted to do on the podcast is shine a light on artists who have inspired me and made these huge contributions to film that seem to go unnoticed. We did the interview--it was a bit of a wild ride. He was nervous as to how folks would react. As I said, I was reading him all the beautiful comments that folks had said about him after our interview. He was so touched. Often actors feel they have been forgotten, or that no one cares about them any more. I am at least happy that we were able to interview him, and talk about his career, he contributed so much to cinema. He felt the love people had for him. He was filled with optimism and hope that he would get this back surgery and begin to start working again! That's where he was happiest. Like any actor, he just wanted a job. He just wanted to work. Thats what he said to me, I hope all this interest will get me a job.He was a great, great actor, that solidly gave great performances for years in theatre, films, and on TV. He so proud of his work on the Soprano's. We spoke at length about that. He had such pride in being an actor. It's a shame in the fame game, we neglect to celebrate all artists while they are still alive. Goodbye Johnny. You are all heart. I'm sure you will be some raising hell upstairs. I hope to god there's a theatre there, because you lived and died to be an actor.

Erick H. likes this.
  14. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

To me, he was always Rosanna Arquette's boyfriend in After Hours. Don't get me wrong, Home Alone is pretty awesome and a holiday classic, but I hesitate to remember him for a film in which the star was a 10-year old.

A great and commanding actor. RIP

15. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

He had a small role in one of my favorite movies of all time.......Gladiator. No, not that Russell Crowe pile of dog shit.......the boxing flick from the early 90s with Cuba Gooding Jr.

The Joker likes this.
  16. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

Yesssss I remember that film!