RIP Dick Miller

Discussion in 'General' started by rxfiend, Jan 31, 2019.

1. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie...I3o1QPTCc5LOznYHeRkrl9WP8e7F8RKzyEaodVF4LXKV4

Dick Miller, the prolific screen actor best known for his role as Murray Futterman in Joe Dante’s 1984 classic horror film Gremlins, and its sequel Gremlins 2: The New Batch, has died, reports Variety. He was 90.

With a career spanning more than 60 years, Miller has made hundreds of on screen appearances, beginning in the 1950s with legendary director and producer Roger Corman. It was then that he starred as Walter Paisley in the cult classic A Bucket of Blood, before going on to land roles on projects such as Fame and even James Cameron’s The Terminator.

Us horror fans celebrate his genre work that also included Joe Dante’s The ‘Burbs, The Howling, Piranha and The Hole, as well as Roger Corman’s 1959 A Bucket of Blood, the 1960 Little Shop of Horrors, The Terror (1963), Death Race 2000, Twilight Zone” The Movie, Explorers, Chopping Mall, Night of the Creeps, Amityville 1992: It’s About Time, and Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight!

As the site noted, Miller reprised the role of Walter Paisely for a final time as a rabbi in Eben McGarr’s horror film Hanukkah.

He is quite simply a legend.

2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

What a career, great man, great innings, RIP. Gremlins viewing this week in your honour sir.

Steel76 and buck135 like this.
  3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

R.I.P. to a great man. :(:(

If you haven't seen the documentary That Guy Dick Miller, it's quite good about his life.

4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

This hit me hard. He was in my favorite flicks as a kid. He made a tremendous mark on this world, at least for "people like us."

RIP

5. Spacevis

Spacevis Well-Known Member

Indeed, he was one of those "people you know" when I was a kid. Appeared in a lot of movies I love. A great loss. There's an easter egg on the Gremlins DVD with a little documentary on Dick Miller called "Dick Miller: Thespian".

Steel76 likes this.
  6. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

The ultimate "Hey, it's THAT guy !" actor. A very talented and able performer,Miller was also great fun to listen to in interviews.Man, that guy had stories, he worked with everybody ! I especially cherish his work with Corman and A.I.P but his cult favorites are legion. Rest In Peace Sir, God Bless .

7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

R.I.P. A Dick Miller appearance made any movie just that much better. A true character and a Hollywood (both inside and out) legend.

8. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Ah, damn. ONE OF THE GREATS.

Steel76 likes this.
  9. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

RIP, a true staple of independent cinema. A giant piece of early D.I.Y. film making has gone with him.

Steel76 likes this.
  10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Years ago, I met Joe Dante before a film screening. He was very cool. When I brought up Dick Miller's name, he perked up even more and told us some great stories about him. Dick Miller was such a great character actor who turned up in countless movies. He will always live on in our movie collection.

Steel76, Myron Breck and Katatonia like this.
  11. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Agreed with everything that's been said. A welcome familiar face in many great movies.

Steel76 and Katatonia like this.
  12. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Another legend is gone :(
    Love his character in Gremlins.

RIP Mr Miller

hots4 and Katatonia like this.
  13. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

The word that comes to mind with this actor is 'memorable' and yet when I looked at the list of movies he was in I found so many that I'd seen and didn't remember him in. Regardless I've always enjoyed his performances. RIP.

"God damn foreign cars!"

dave13 and Spacevis like this.
  14. studio1

studio1 Member

Sad news indeed
    RIP Dick
    because YOU are a garbage man. :)
    [​IMG]

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Wow I just watched A Bucket of Blood again in early December along with Little Shop of Horrors and The Terror. Not only was it a great uncharacteristic lead performance for him in Bucket of Blood the man could steal scenes from Jack Nicholson and Boris Karloff! Now THAT takes talent!

Just heard about the documentary That Guy Dick Miller after his death and having watched it now it's clear how filled with talent he was. Not just an actor but a writer and great sketch artist too. But a big take away for me was the relationship he had with his wife. Those two were great together and it's sad to know that he'll now be apart from her. He also did an interview with AV Club that covered a lot of the same anecdotes: https://film.avclub.com/dick-miller-talks-working-with-corman-scorsese-and-ge-1798231345

Joe Dante posted these on Facebook: "Here's a crash course on Dick Miller's long career as put together for Texas Nightmare Weekend a few seasons ago."

Now cracks a noble heart.—Good night, sweet prince, And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!—

satans-sadists likes this.