RIP: Friday the 13th Part 2 (remake)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Dave, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Dave

Dave Pimp

Hated the remake so I'm not too upset by the news.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/16965/-friday-the-13th-sequel-slaughtered

2. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I'm sad because Jason is resting again. Hopefully, not for as long a time.

But I'm also excited because making "Friday the 13th Part 2, Part II" is stupid and another stab at creative thievery. Add a subtitle, fine, but leave the Part II out of it.
    Plus if it turned out anything like the remake, I'd be a bit sad to see another boring Friday the 13th entry added to the franchise.

3. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Just read this. I enjoyed the first one and was down with a sequel as they promised to up the ante on the kills which was really my only problem with the remake. Really disappointing!

Doesn't make much sense considering the remake made three times its money back, almost five times if you include international box office. Add that with rentals and sales and it was a pretty big success!

4. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Thank god.

5. Dave

Dave Pimp

It was a success; no arguing that. But does anyone remember the dropoff from week one to two? It was like 65-70%, which is crazy.

6. Queen B

Queen B Guest

It's being put on the figurative "back-burner" for now. This is quite common for sequels, especially from a relatively small production outfitter that has their plate full at the moment. Here's to betting that news of the sequel's sudden revival will come out of left field, ala Zombie's H2 (which, btw, was less of a commercial success than Friday).

7. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I'd rather have Friday the 13th part 11, but can we just omit anything that happened in Space :D

8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah, im disappointed. say what you will about the remake, im of the opinion that low-tier friday is better than no friday at all. and come on, it may not have been great, but at least it wasn't an outright insult a-la "zombie-ween"

9. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Too bad. The remake was good, not great, and I'd like to see more. Kind of defeats the purpose of rebooting a dormant franchise to not make sequels, doesn't it? Hopefully this will eventually happen, with the extra time devoted to coming up with a better story / script.

10. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Even though I pretty much didn't like the remake, especially the second time I watched it, I'm kind of disappointed they're not doing a sequel. Or at least not yet. I was kind of hoping the next movie would just go back to the proper formula of stalk and slash at a camp ground and lose all the stupid side story crap about the sister....I'm sure they would just add some torture and have another convoluted plot with a new girl who looks like Jason's long lost cousin's aunt's roommate....but I had hope that maybe things would be better the second time around. Apparently I'm a dreamer or something when it comes to horror flicks but I still hope they make the sequel.

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I'm pissed because this means parts 4-8 might not make their way to blu-ray now. Fuck. I wanted the remake so the older titles would come out on blu. Would I see the remake? Fuck no. I just want it for the blu-rays of parts 4-8. Shit.

~Matt

12. rhett

rhett Administrator

Reboot the franchise again I say. We can forget that whole bit about Jason running a generator-powered mile long underground catacomb.

13. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Took the words right out of my mouth. Just as I am anticipating the Nightmare on Elm Street reboot to get the originals on blu. They'll reboot this franchise again.

14. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

or they could do that. yeah, that would be much better actually.

15. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Friday the 13th (2011)

"How do you twitpic a snake?"

16. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I liked the remake. It wasn't great or anything, but it was better than most of the other remakes we've been getting the past decade. I was looking forward to part 2 just because it wouldn't be rehashing anything like the remake did, it would've just been a sequel with Jason doing his thing.

17. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Oh boy, did NOT like this remake so I'm glad the sequel is getting canned. If it would've been like Halloween and Halloween 2 (Zombie versions), I think I would've just given up on modern horror films period.

18. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

The only way one could like the old F13s and hate the new one is if you're an insane, crazy fanboy.

AN INSANE, CRAZY FANBOY, I SAY!

19. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Or if when you look at slasher films, you look at the true nature of how it's made naturally, artistically, and kill-wise...effectively.

Then there are some, like those who enjoy Parts 1-4 and the remake on the same page, who look at slashers as simply 'gore and tits' films. It's ok to look at them like that for some folks, but simply saying that the remake had a human Jason, varying weapons and Crystal Lake does not mean that it's the same thing as what was shown in 1-4.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  20. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Once again, I bring up Part 2 and Jason finding Alice's address and going through town (and possibly across states) to kill her. Everyone seems to forget the implausibility of this, though, because it's one of the classics. Hate the remake for the acting, characters, plot, pacing, etc., but coherence and plausibility has never been this series' strongest points.

I'm bummed about this for the same reason Matt is. I was hoping for blu's of the later films. Who knows, Paramount may still release them despite all of this.