RIP: Friday the 13th Part 2 (remake)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Dave, Apr 22, 2010.

1. mlock

mlock Member

Here here!!!!!! I was thinkin' the exact same thing. Now that the potential cross-marketing option is dead, who the fuck knows when the other sequels will be released on blu. What a pain-in-the-ass! :mad:

2. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

That was my thought too. Damn Paramount, What really annoys me is that they didn't release Part 4 like they did the last time then you had the human Jason story arch all together instead they released 3 out of 4.

3. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

I loved the remake so there not been a sequel is an awful thing to me, No Jason, Michael or Freddy is this the end of the 80s icons? :(

4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I also loved the remake!

I mean, come on, do you guys REALLY think it´s worse than part 7 or 8??? Or those HORRIBLE Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X movies???

It´s basically the same damn thing as the original series. Stupid teens being slaughtered i fun ways by Jason in Crystal Lake, except the remake actually was more suspenseful and brutal. The new Jason actually felt real and scary, instead of that silly Zombie version that Kane Hodder did. Yeah I LOVED those original movies when I was a teenager, but today, they don´t work for me anymore, at all.

And really, the originals are just as "stupid" and isn´t any more high art than the new one ;)

5. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

i think The New Blood is a million times better than the soul-less remake and pulls off the fun and badass qualities the remake tries at. I didt hate the remake actually i enjoyed it quite a bit but it was no Vii or Hatchet for that matter.

6. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I really like the remake as well as the New Blood - would love an uncut/original ending of that!

7. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

That's what I've been saying. I love the original series dearly and will defend its merits in any movie debate, but they weren't smart films. Glaring plots holes, HUGE lapses of logic, etc.

The remake, likewise, had similar characteristics, but since it wasn't released in 1983, it's idiotic.

8. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the remake too. Aside from the dodgy setting (Jason's woods sure don't look the same) and the MacGyver elements I think it's a fairly decent jump-off for a new series. As others have stated, it has the same strengths and weaknesses as most of the films in the original series. The characters are dumb. The kills are amusing. And the nudity raises the bar for the genre. Julianna Guill's big scene is proof that God loves us. Surely the remake has value for that alone?

That said, I despise the Zombie Halloween films and what he did with the character of Michael Myers. I also understand that a lot of people don't consider Myers a serious character. But as a rabid fan of the original series, I can't abide Zombie's vision of Myers at all. So I completely understand why F13th purists don't like the new Jason.

This is one of those cases where the most devoted fans have a legitimate reason to be more disappointed with the film than the general public.

9. Steel76

The problem with Zombie´s Halloween isn´t only that he fucked up Michael Myers, but that he fucked EVERYTHING up and turned it into a white trash mess.

His style works for "70:s exploitation" stuff like "The Devils Rejects" (which I love), but in Halloween even the "normal" people turned into redneck assholes. Even Loomis.

I think the remake of Friday kept the feel of what a Friday the 13th movie should be like today. But the Halloween remake is one of the worst ever made. It´s up there with the Psycho remake when it comes to pissing me off ;)

Though during the original Halloween series, I think they kept Myers pretty much the same, even though diffrent actors played him, and they kept the overall look (well small changes in mask). But in Friday, Jason have changed so many times when it comes to the look and style of masks etc., I didn´t feel the new Jason was off in anyway, I actually think they went back to the style of him in part 2 and 3, And YES Jason does run in part 3, so that is nothing new. Even though people, even hard core fans, seems to have forgotten that since Kane took over the part and just walks when he hunted down his victims.

I liked the idea that Jason used the old mine under Crystal Lake to pop up and drag down his victims. And people also complained about him kidnapping the girl and not killing her, well that´s because she looks like his mother, which kinda was a new take on when Amy Steel dresses like his mother in part 2 to fool him.

Oh well, this can be discussed til the end of time.
    But I wonder if the hardcore fans would have loved this remake if it was a part of the original series and released in the 80:s just as it is? ;)

10. Steel76

*double post*

11. Franco

Franco Weekender

Hey, can't see any news in the forums regarding this that appeared yesterday (or maybe I need glasses), but it seems they're going for a sequel to the remake of 2009. Check here:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3266498/breaking-jason-voorhees-will-return-on-friday-the-13th/

BREAKING: Jason Voorhees Will Return On 'Friday the 13th'!
    Breaking news Tuesday evening as sources tell Bloody Disgusting that Paramount Pictures’ new Friday the 13th is taking the first Friday the 13th spot of 2015, opening in theaters March 13, 2015.

No word yet on writers, if Derek Mears will return as Jason Voorhees, or what version of the sequel they will use. There are rumors of a potential found footage angle that Paramount might be pursuing.

While there are no official confirmations regarding exactly what form the sequel will come in, Platinum Dunes is rumored to be returning to produce. We hope to have confirmation on that soon. The 2009 Friday the 13th remake, directed by Marcus Nispel, made $90M worldwide. In it, “A group of young adults discover a boarded up Camp Crystal Lake, where they soon encounter Jason Voorhees and his deadly intentions.“

12. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I'm game. I know I'm nearly alone when it comes to the remake, but I had a helluva time with it and found it just as bloody and dumb as most of the F13 films.

edit: Just caught up with the thread and it seems like the tide is turning toward the remake! :banana:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  13. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I'll get excited when they finish shooting.

14. Christy

Christy Member

Derek Mears was awesome even though the remake sucked. I'd welcome him back with open arms for another Friday. Also sense this is technically Part 13 I hope this ends the franchise. This should hopefully be the final film and Jason dies once and for all. Paramount should just ignore part 8 and pick up after part 7. If they insist on doing a found footage film at list place it in a cabin winter setting.

15. Bobbywoodhogan

Remake was great in my opinion, one of the best of the series. I hope the new one is just a stand alone that could fit in as part if the series like the remake did. Please bring back Derek Mears.

16. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

The remake did something slasher films should never do: be boring.

I'll give it this, it was stronger than Hell, X and FvJ. But the first 8 really are stronger films, even Manhattan.

17. Bobbywoodhogan

Boring to you maybe

18. Christy

Christy Member

It was interesting on my end but I understand if it was boring. The problem with the film was that none of the characters were likeable. While the cinematography was awesome the film was pointless. It felt like they just made up lines as the movie went on. By the time the characters were killed off you didn't really care. I myself just watched it for the sake of Jason killing people. Even if the film had no substance it was painful to sit through. So I do understand where your coming from but I don't completely agree or disagree.

19. Bobbywoodhogan

Sorry but is there any point to any Friday the 13th when you get down to it? The remake was no more pointless than the rest of the series.

20. Do you see

Do you see Member

I’m looking forward to another Friday (my favorite franchise). Paramount, if you are listening here are a couple suggestions. If this is a sequel to F13 (2009), Derek Mears back as Jason please. If not, a lot of us would love to see Kane back…just sayin’. And finally I think a nice touch would be to have to have an 80’s era Paramount logo at the start of the movie, kind of a little tip of the hat that F13 is back to where it all started.