RIP: Friday the 13th Part 2 (remake)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Dave, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Good for you maybe

I disagree. Earlier entries had directors with their own touch and bringing something, like a theme to the table that would run through the motions. IMO, the remake tried to capture the earlier films without actually grasping the themes. The (updated) visuals are there, but I don't feel anything like I have with others. The characters didn't make an impression. The kills were generally uninspired and they lacked suspenseful lead ups or crafting of a scene. I didn't get a sense of place.

Sure, this is all just my opinion, but yours is just an opinion also. That's all.

2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

The reboot was completely forgettable. And by that I mean that I honestly have no recollection, good or bad. But it's my favorite series and I will be in line for another shot of Jason.

3. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I don't like the remake. I thought they were going to start over since the movies went back to the original license holder or something? I was looking for a Black Friday discount on the Friday the 13th set and looked at youtube reviews to convince myself on the set. I found this DreadCentral review that understands why the remake is so crappy. And it's a simple reason too. Go to the last minute or so of the video. Even though he mentions the remake a few times during the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PucRL_jmDOc

4. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

The guy who runs DreadCentral is an ass clown.

As for another F13th, sign me up.

5. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

The only negative thing I can really say about the remake was that it didn't really have the original music, otherwise it could easily be called the best in the series. It doesn't exactly have much competition. The entire series isn't meant to be dissected, every single one of them besides the original are completely fucking ludicrous and they're all the same dumb, fun shit. They're meant to watch late at night, have a laugh and see some tits. And most of the F13 movies do that well. It's just unfortunate so many F13 fans get overly butt hurt over the series so easily.

As I always say - bring on the sequel, let's keep these franchises alive.

Steel76 likes this.
  6. Body Boy

But not everyone watches films with the same intent. I don't know how it's the best in the series, but due to your criteria it might be. Some says it's the best looking. I don't agree. I think it's better looking than VII-FvJ, but it lacks atmosphere. I think that the remake had the right ingredients, but it just forgot to stir.

7. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Nah, I think everyone other than fanboys or haters watch F13 with the exact same intent. People don't actually watch F13 movies searching for any emotional connection. If they did, they'd be then drawn to way better movies. They're not often drawn to the better movies, though, so it just goes to show they are watching F13 with the same intent I am, because I too like movies that are made for a certain niche I happen to really enjoy. If one wants to become invested emotionally, one could pop in Wild Strawberries, Blue Valentine, Amadeus and I could go on and on. If one chooses not to expand his film horizons and get on the level of better movies and sticks with F13 movies as what they get invested in, then that's their choice and it's perfectly fine. The same choice I for instance make when I feel like not being analytical and want to watch a dumb, fun movie with a little bit of everything, like any F13, instead of Fitzcarraldo.

One could definitely watch Friday the 13th and feel sad for Jason drowning, but in no way does it have the magnitude of tragedy like in Don't Look Now. A teen sex comedy can make you feel warm inside, but it's not ever going to compete with a classic romance movies. It's apples and oranges.

8. Body Boy

Well, I do. I like feeling emotionally invested in characters, so that point is out the window. "Better" is subjective. I love Persona (1966), 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) and Friday the 13th (1980). They're all very different films. I personally think the filming is more lively in the former two, but there is no fact that they're better than F13, only that they fulfill different criteria than the latter. I don't think that I watch F13 for the same exact reasons as you or many other people, otherwise I would have a different take on it and the remake.

9. Dave

Dave Pimp

So they are rebooting the reboot?

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/33242/producers-talk-friday-the-13th-monster-squad

Why not? Works for me as I hate the remake. I'm starting to think nothing is going to capture the magic of the 80s for me. It's probably just a lost cause getting me to like any of these remakes.

10. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

These remakes are made for today's teenagers, not the ones who grew up with these films. I'll hang on to the original movies, the theater romping teenagers can have all this new shit. I would not be the least bit surprised if the next Friday the 13th movie is rated PG-13.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Unfortunately Hollywood, and Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes in particular, has zero interest in making mainstream movies that appeal to most Americans, they're focused on the world wide market. They've redefined Lowest Common Denominator to be what sells to 20-30% of the Global Audience as opposed to what would sell to 50-60% of the American Audience.

The LCD use to be what got dumb Americans' butts in the seats. Now it means what gets goat herders who can't read or write into the seats. 20-30% of the Global population is after all more than even 100% of the American audience. This explains why "blockbuster" movies that don't do all that well in the box office here get sequel after sequel, they make bank internationally. Even if it's only 30% of any given country, add up all the countries and that's a LOT of money.

And when all you need to do is wait for one full high school class to cycle out before rebooting a franchise, then can keep cashing in on a name brand for as long as there's dumb kids with allowances.

12. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I don't know, this could be good but at the moment the fact Platinum Dunes is associated with this doesn't make it sound all appealing. I think they're very hit and miss with their films. Nothing has really blown me away though.

I didn't mind the remake so this new one might be worth seeing once it gets off the ground.

13. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

They know that remake sucks. But they won't say it. It looked good too but as I've posted before so much was wrong with that movie. I still kind of want to see the Killer Cut but I know that won't help. I really think no modern remake, especially of an 80s movie, will come close to being good. The 80s were just a different time. You had to be there. It's time to make new horror villains. Or give serious thought to how a Jason would work in a modern setting.

Maybe I'm just getting old. But today's teenagers just want quick entertainment. I'm sure this was the same for me when I was young. The only difference was that Friday the 13th, Nightmare, etc. were new. They weren't brand name sequels just trying to cash in. Every exec in Hollywood just wants to cash in now and that means barely in thing new. I can't think of a really good new horror series that I like as much as the iconic Friday, Nightmare, or Halloween movies. There is Saw, Hatchet, maybe a few foreign ones. But nothing like those original three. There are modern horror movies that have elements of those classics. But it's just elements.

14. Body Boy

Maybe the new title will go the way of TCM, and just be called Friday the 3D.

15. rhett

rhett Administrator

We'll find out that when Pamela got her head chopped off there was actually a full family of Voorhees in the cabin beside them watching, ready for a bloody siege with the Crystal Lake PD. From the skirmish was born a child, Jaylene, the bastard cousin of Jason. Years later she decides to go with her friends to Crystal Lake for a fun night of camping and debauchery. Lurking in the basement of her tent is Jason, previously thought dead but fed scraps by an aging family member. Now he's angry and not even the third dimension can stop him.

16. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Back in March Tom Savini mentioned he was being considered as director for the new Friday the 13th film. This was quickly refuted by Bloody-Disgusting who "checked with their sources", but in a recent podcast Sex Machine insists he's still up for the gig, sources be damned!

Well, maybe he wasn't that insistent about things, but he did seem to think he's still got a shot to helm the next movie. Even cooler, he proposes to bring back his buddy Kane Hodder as the man behind the mask.

Obviously this is far from likely to happen, but I'd personally love to see a movie that takes place between Paramount's Jason Takes Manhattan and New Line's Jason Goes to Hell. One which explains exactly how Jason made his way from the sewers of New York back to his wooded abode in NJ.

For those interested the podcast of which I mentioned is Talk is Jericho #63 and can be found here http://podcastone.com/Talk-Is-Jericho

The whole interview is well worth a listen, but the tidbit about the Friday reboot is at the 42:46 mark.

17. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

Personally I think Bloody Disgusting has gone to shit in the last few years. It now seems as if their "sources" aren't at all in the know (Texas Chainsaw 3-D included), and most of the writing on the site reads like it's been written by a child.

18. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I would go see this: