RIP George A. Romero

Discussion in 'General' started by Franco, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

'Night of the Living Dead', 'Dawn of the Dead', and 'Creepshow', the indelible impact of which cannot be overstated as a youngster developing an affinity for the horror genre.
    'Night' in particular elevated the low budget drive in classic to an art form and ushered in a whole new era of more visceral horror. Films with rich subtext and social commentary that will be enjoyed for generations to come.
    R.I.P. George A. Romero.

Steel76, satans-sadists and Franco like this.
  2. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Very sorry to hear this news, RIP.

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I met George Romero twice at horror conventions. The first time was in 2005 when Land of the Dead was new and more recently met him at a show last year where we also got to attend his Q & A panel. Despite looking frail at last year's show, George was in great spirits & gracious to everyone. Rest in peace, Mr. Romero.

4. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

News I was not expecting tonight.

RIP to the King of Zombie Movies. :(

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I had a sense this was coming but it's a real loss. He was a great talent and revolutionized this genre. I caught a screening of NOTLD at an arthouse theater a couple of years ago just prior to Halloween paired with a new DEAD documentary and the large crowd ate it up. I also saw DAWN at the Carolina Theater in Durham a while back with a huge crowd, great fun. One of the greatest audience reactions I ever saw was an opening day screening of CREEPSHOW, the crowd adored it ! Rest In Peace ,Sir.

6. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

RIP George, and thanks for the scares.

Gonna watch Night and Creepshow tonight.

7. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

The first film I ever saw on a VCR was NOTLD. It blew my mind. It's movie that never loses its power for me.

I'm genuinely saddened by the news.

8. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Dawn and Day are among my favorite horror films of all time, like many on here, I am sure. He is such an important voice not only in horror but also independent film-making. He will never be forgotten.

Natas likes this.
  9. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

sade, Steel76 and SilentScreams like this.
  10. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I met George at Horrorfind some years ago. Like a few have already expressed, he comes off as a very genuine man. I've met a lot of celebrities over the years and meeting him was easily the highlight of them all. Day of the Dead has become my favorite film of his although there is no doubt that Night and Dawn are the real classics and had the most influence on the genre. It's sad to know that although I didn't care for his last 3 Dead films that we won't have another chance to see if he could return to form. RIP George.

Workshed likes this.
  11. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

NOTLD is and will always be my favorite film of all time. This is very sad news and really heartbreaking. R.I.P. George A. Romero.

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I consider him no less than the creator of modern horror. And the ripple effect of that has left no genre untouched since. Yes, there are plenty of stepping stones to get us to 1968, but there is a very firm line for all film makers and that was seeing Night of the Living Dead. For Wes Craven. For Tobe Hooper. For John Carpenter. For Sean S. Cunningham. And for countless others. Even Martin Scorsese. There was the way you thought about Horror before seeing NotLD. And there was a way you thought about Horror after seeing NotLD.

It's true that NotLD redefined "zombie" forever, but that undersells the fact that it redefined modern cinema to what it is today. In my mind I literally draw a hard line "those before Night" and "those after Night." But he didn't stop there, his repertoire should be the envy of most any filmmaker even if it the dollars were not always there (not to say he didn't have his hits, he should also be envied for having those hits on his terms).

But not just as a director should he be remembered, but a writer, cinematographer, sound editor and film editor he is probably one of the few who could proudly claim thee mantle of auteur while still being the utmost generous to share the authorship with all his cast and crew members. You can't watch the plethora of interviews he's given without seeing him crediting this idea or that idea as glowingly as he can to his crew. And that crew always gave generously back; I remember a seasoned Adrienne Barbeau, well versed with directors after being married to John Carpenter, in 1991 marveling that George had already framed and edited the movie in his own mind so that when doing the daily setups on Two Evil Eyes he knew exactly what he needed and didn't shoot a frame more from other cameras as coverage. That is a man with vision.

And it's with all that in mind that the first movie that came to mind to watch wasn't a Night, a Dawn, or a Day, or the brilliant Martin in which he stretched himself even further by playing a role, but in Document of the Dead in which George opens his arms to all, even before his newfound success in Dawn to cement his name, and invites us in to sit on his lap and watch the master's hands work their movie magic.

And who says,"there is no magic." ;)

Erick H., Workshed, buck135 and 2 others like this.
  13. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I'm a huge fan a NOTLD too, but Dawn of the Dead was really my thing. I first saw it at a midnight showing when I was 14 or 15. Obviously the gore was so over the top it left quite an impression on my poor, innocent, young brain. Even more remarkable was how well it conveyed a real feeling that you were seeing the end of the world. I remember walking out of the theater feeling completely empty inside like I never had before.

Rest in peace, Mr. Romero- you were one of the best.

14. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

RIP. Day of the Dead was the first Romero zombie movie I saw theatrically and it is still among my favorite films. Very few have had such an impact in the cinematic world. You will be greatly missed. Thanks for all the wonderful scares and memories.

15. studio1

studio1 Member

Very sad news indeed :( - R.I.P George

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I actually had no idea he lived here. The funeral is in Toronto, I heard on the news. But as to where he'll actually be buried I'm not sure.

~Matt

18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

No? I know people that have seen him in restaurants and stuff. I always thought it was pretty cool that he lived here. Fuck Drake. Romero puts Toronto on the map.

I don't know if it's the funeral, exactly, but a memorial that is open to the public is happening today, and runs till about 8 this evening, I believe. I would have loved to go and pay my respects, but I can't make it down.

Natas likes this.
  19. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Yes. Yes. And yes. Fuck Drake and the set the claims. LOL Toronto is the shit regardless of that mutt.

20. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Erick H. likes this.