Rise of Skywalker (2019) non spoiler review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Dec 19, 2019.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

To discuss this third film in the sequel trilogy one must go back to the last film (The Last Jedi) which was made by someone with disdain for Star Wars and it’s fans. He created a ‘film’ that shat all over the set up of the first part of the trilogy and also did not advance the story or characters with any conceivable direction, essentially killing any momentum and depriving the trilogy of a second act.
    So JJ Abrams had quite the task to undertake with not only this being the final film in the trilogy but the final film in the ‘skywalker saga’ and had no second act to build from.
    Essentially what they have had to do is make two films worth of plot and cram it into one film which makes this an overly fast paced, choppy story that dies not have any quieter moments to balance it out. That said Abrams did what he could and I can happily report that he reversed every decision made in the last Jedi to one extent or another. It is obvious that Abrams hates that film and has gone out of his way to expunge it from having to be viewed at all. Now you can easily skip episode 8 and still get the whole story.
    Despite it’s many problems this film is visually stunning and returns to the characters having charming (although rushed) adventures. Also the one is back to natural junior rather than the bad Saturday Night Live parody type tone the last Jedi took and the film feels like Star Wars again.
    There was much more Leia than I expected and it was handled very well with Carrie Fishers send off being very respectful. I did not love the ending but none of it was insulting and in the end taken in context of where the franchise had been left this was probably as good as we could hope for and I am somewhat satisfied.
    7/10

2. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I have tickets for the first show Saturday morning (US Eastern Time). I love the look of the trailer and this review cements my hope of another great Star Wars film.

I still can’t watch Last Jedi for a second time. I need this to end my pain...

3. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I’ve never watch last Jedi a second time and at the very least this film has made it completely skippable in the story

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm not hearing good things about this new film. After The Last Jedi I lost interest in Star Wars. Then The Mandalorian and Jedi Fallen Order came out and gave me faith in good Star Wars content.
    The trailers for Rise look pretty stunning but nothing really has made me interested to go see this. One major problem being that the characters are underdeveloped and I couldn't give two shits about them.
    I hear there's a cam rip out already so I might watch it that way. I don't want to give my money to this convoluted saga. Fingers crossed whatever they do after this is infinitely better.

5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I though Rise was pretty damn good.
    Much better than Last Jedi, and J.J. pretty much repaired the damage that was done after that one.

Last Jedi felt like a parody, but this one feels like a proper Star Wars film again :)

Sadly the internet have made up it’s mind about this movie, even before they saw it. They all think it must suck, because Last Jedi sucked.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Dobby and russweiss like this.
  6. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of The Last Jedi. I liked that Johnson moved away from the idea of The Force and Jedis as a blood-lineage, and how it connected to the larger idea of evil is not just some oogedy-boogedy, mystical concept but something supported and perpetuated by those that could profit from its effects. It was far from perfect, but still better than The Force Awakens, which often felt too much like a retread of A New Hope.

So, I was disappointed with the return of the Emperor and the implicit "fixing" of the more interesting aspects of TLJ. It all just seems like a regressive call to let a certain contingent of the SW fan base (and this is NOT a dig on any of the posters in this thread) to let them know that their Nostalgia Safe Space has been re-established.

On the other hand, since this is the conclusion of the "Skywalker Saga", some callbacks are inevitable. I get that, and they are forgivable (to a certain extent). Hopefully, a decent movies comes out of all of the "well-intentioned" fixing of Johnson's ideas. I probably won't be able to see it until the 23rd or the 24th, which means less internet for me to avoid spoilers.

7. Dave

Dave Pimp

I loved it. Never a huge star wars nut but no complaints from me. Screw the critics. Complaints of fan boy service? Okay well this is Star wars....wtf is wrong with doing that...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Dobby and Nailwraps like this.
  8. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

There has NEVER been a Star Wars film I didn't like and this will be no different! I'm looking forward to seeing this tomorrow with my dad. :)

Even though there will always be more Star Wars films, let's just remember that this is the final film in the main saga so this is REALLY big. Plus, I'm a stickler for a film series concluding properly and happy. Not just a great movie to the end the year, but the decade too.

Dobby and buck135 like this.
  9. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Critics and youtubers seems to hate it, but I'm seeing and hearing more and more positive reactions from people.
    But we'll have to wait a couple of weeks, until more people have seen it, before we can get a more honest view of what people really thing about the movie.
    Too many angry man-children, review bombing sites like Metacritic. And you can really tell from the reactions who have seen it, and who are just giving it a negative score.
    The hatred is strong with this one :D

Remember the good old days, before the internet, when someone didn't like a movie, it was nothing more than that.
    These days, people react like if the director kicked down their doors, and raped them.
    Don't like the movie? Fine, just keep on watching the ones you like. The world isn't coming to an end, just because a movie sucked for you.
    But some of the shit storms happening on the forums, makes me wonder, how those people handle real life problems, and it's hilarious to watch :D

[​IMG]

Dobby, Myron Breck and gyhorrorfan07 like this.
  10. Dave

Dave Pimp

I think part of it is just people expecting them to recapture the magic of seeing the original trilogy as children. But I'm not a child anymore and this is 2019, not mid 80s.

Dobby and Steel76 like this.
  11. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

So essentially the new film ignores The Last Jedi? Maybe that's why people dislike it?

Regardless I will be seeing the new film. Seen them all, not gonna stop now. And I'm in the minority, I liked The Last Jedi. Probably one of the rare films in a long time that the audience was cheering. It was very satisfying to me as a viewer. Brought me back to actually enjoying the series again after not loving Force Awakens. Force was eyeroll city. Very dull too.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  12. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

I willingly sat in the theater for the remaining prequels even after The Phantom Menace, so seeing Skywalker is pretty much a given. Plus, my son wants to see it. I won't deny that I want to see it, too.

On a side note...The Phantom Menace? How about 'The Thuddingly Obvious Menace That a Whole Room Full of People Supposedly In Tune With the Universe Somehow Can't Sense'

baggio likes this.
  13. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the "final" film. It was better than I was expecting. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan but I do like the series and have seen all the films in the theater. The screen I saw it on was pretty big but there weren't as many people as I thought there would be. Of course the film is playing on six screens so there are a lot of options. Since I've got a Regal Unlimited subscription I may end up seeing it again.

14. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

I'm a huge Star Wars fan and think Rise is the best of the latest trilogy. It's dark, violent, and packed with surprises. What more could a fan want?

This has nothing to do with the movie itself, but did anyone else sit through 30 MINUTES of previews and commercials? Thirty f**king minutes! The 2:45 showing I went to didn't actually start until 3:15. There were trailers, commercials, more trailers, and more commercials. Fifteen to twenty minutes is bad enough, but this was absolutely ridiculous.

15. russweiss

That is becoming typical. I go to the theater quite a bit (mostly Regal) and have started counting trailers. Most of the time there are around 4-5 but with Star Wars there were 9. Then you add in the commercials and the Coke films. Today I saw Bombshell and there were 7 trailers plus the ads.

16. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I thought it was decent, but is my least favorite of the new trilogy. Lots of fan service. And not just Last Jedi backpedaling either, if something has been mentioned online about things people wanted to see in the original trilogy or happen with the new characters, chances are it happens here. Following on the heels of the pandery cameo at the end of Solo it makes me a little less excited about the future of the franchise. I didn't hate the movie, but it is telling that this is the first SW I've heard someone audibly groan at in the theater.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    Dobby and Zombie Dude like this.
  17. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

This was at Regal. It's unreal.

18. Dave

Dave Pimp

Just go to the theater 20 minutes after the start time. Most big theaters these days have assigned seating, right?

19. russweiss

While there is assigned seating I still show up early. That's just the way I am. When I was at school and then work and everything else I get where I'm supposed to be early.

20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I loved it. Easily the best Star Wars since Empire. I’m left wondering what exactly the critics and naysayers expect out of this series at this point because this movie pretty much delivered everything for me. I also enjoyed Last Jedi a lot more than a lot of people did and feel that it has gotten better with repeated viewings. Over all, I feel this current trilogy has been more consistently satisfying than the previous two. And that’s my unpopular opinion for the day. :p

Dobby likes this.