Roan's Blood and Black Lace LD

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by jscott, Feb 6, 2002.

1. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

Just won the Roan Group's Blood & Black Lace LD on Ebay for $6.99 + shipping. I've never seen the film, but I want to increase my Bava collection (love the Mask of Satan, BTW). Is this a good transfer? Or will I be hunting down the DVD?

2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I can't speak of the transfer since I haven't seen it.
    If you do go hunting the dvd (which I have seen, and it looks good) I have advice.
    While Best Buy is usually cheaper than Media Play/Sam Goodie/Suncoast, this disc is an exception. $27.99 at BB, $11.99 at MP.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I haven't seen it either, but all the Roan Group LDs I have are top-notch, and if the DVDs are better, it's not by much.
    Enjoy

4. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    It's not the best transfer...but it came from a 16mm source. The DVD is, however, the superior version - I found the LD to have a sort of foggy look in some shots (that wasn't on the DVD or the Media tape) and the reds tend to bleed a little.
    You still made a good purchase - the film is terrific and the LD is the first successful attempt by a company to get the film noticed. I think it would be wise to have the LD and the DVD (why not?). You got a good deal for $6.99 - the LD was originally $50. Good purchase for a great film.

5. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

Damn. I'm a little disapointed from wago's description. However,
    like I said, I've never seen this film, so if I don't get off on it, then no harm done. I figured it would look good, just because my Roan "Bird with the Crystal Plumage" LD looks great. Who put out the DVD? Image?

6. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

The dvd was put out by VCI

7. wago70

Awww. It doesn't look terrible, just not great and nowhere near the nice laserdisc sheen Roan gave the Argento films (which STILL look great to this day). Roan is/was good, though and they did the best they could with whatever materials they got. The only Roan release that had me scratching my head was called PYRO - kinda looked like one of those classroom "scare" films they showed you in grade school.
    I actually watch the LD of Blood and Black Lace more than I do the DVD.

8. wago70

jscott: post a review when you watch the disc, 'kay?

9. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

Sure thing. I just got notified that it's shipping out tomorrow. Should have it by the weekend. Thanks for all the info guys.

10. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

Finally got it today. But since it's Valentine's Day, my wife doesn't see it being suitible material for tonight's festivities (which are the same as every night, getting loaded & sitting on the couch watching films/and/or TV). But, I was able to pop it in to check for rot, and there is a semi-constant speckle throughout both sides of the disc (extremely noticable in the outdoor-night scenes in the beginning). Wago70, does your LD look the same? I don't know if it's rot or not, just because I haven't seen any speckles in the matte bars on top & bottom. Then again, I haven't watched it from start to finish, so I really won't know untill you chime in, especially since you have the DVD as well. If your Laserdisc is speckle-free, I'll probably give this one to my Dad and hunt down the DVD.
    However, the scenes I did let play out looked f-ing awesome! My wife took one look at the screen and said "Which Argento film is this? Doesn't look familiar." I am hoping the wife goes to bed early, so I can take in some of this before the weekend.

11. wago70

Speckles show up on my LD too, but they are not seen at all in the black bars and have not gotten any worse since I bought the disc some four years ago. Never had a rot problem with Roan discs (knock on plastic).
    I'm glad you liked this disc - I watch mine a lot and I love the picture (I was harsh in my review, but you know...). I think it's a keeper.

12. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

What about the DVD? Speckle free? If so, I'm buying it. If not, I'll be happy.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2002
  13. DavidHess

DavidHess Guest

I believe that the Roan laserdisc was made from film elements that were inferior to the dvd and there were actually a number of shots that were lost and could not be found for the LD but were eventually restored for the dvd.

I don't know, just what I've heard from reading Tim Lucas' posts on various web boards...

14. wago70

DavidHess, you're right - thanks for clearing that up - I watched the LD version again since all this talk spurred me to this giallo classic. What a great film. Thank heaven for these companies that are releasing these films on DVD (and laser) - makes you realize there is life beyond the bland Hollywood thrillers.