Rob Zombie's Halloween remake getting a 3 disc dvd really necessary?

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Jun 26, 2008.

1. boycrieswolf

boycrieswolf Guest

looks good, but I'm confused by: • "Unrated Director’s Cut with 11 additional minutes of footage" I didn't buy the first one, but wasn't that one the directors cut too, or was that just unrated?

2. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

its the same.

3. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Sounds like overkill to me. Walmart was selling the 2 Disc unrated like two weeks ago for $11. I finally decided to grab a copy.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

The specs have come out for this release, as well as a cover:
    [​IMG]

As well as the four and a half hour documentary, features include:
    • Unrated Director's Cut with 11 additional minutes of footage
    • 17 deleted scenes with optional director’s commentary
    • Alternate ending with optional commentary
    • Bloopers
    • Director audio commentary
    • Casting sessions
    • The Many Masks of Michael Myers featurette
    • Re-Imagining Halloween
    • Meet the Cast
    • Scout Taylor-Compton screen test (Laurie Strode)

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=6884

5. 4 and a half hour documentary? They joking?? Damn!! I'd say 2-2 1/2 hours tops, but over 4? Hmmm....Maybe I'll actually pick this one up.

6. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Kind of disappointing that they are doing a three disc set and they can't include the theatrical cut (And commentary) or work print cut, or at least the differences and/ or omissions in the deleted scenes section. Looks identical to the original Director's Cut DVD but with a 4 hour documentary. I held off buying the first DVDs, but I guess they will never release a complete package, so I will still have to buy two copies of the movie to get both cuts.

7. Zombie Dude

I don't know if I'll be able to sit through four and a half hour documentary. I hope it's good.

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

a 4½ hour documentary? :lol: That's just laughable, what do they think this is...Spartacus? Nope, no interest in this one.

9. I'm with you. Even if he doesn't match everyone's tastes, it seems obvious that he has at least an average level of competence as far as horror directors go.

I doubt a 4 1/2 hour documentary is a selling point for me, but it seems so ridiculous I'm sure my curiosity will win out. I'll probably rent it.

10. Zombie Dude

I'll only get this because I never got the 2 disc release of the film.

11. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Yeah, that's what I strive for in White Trash horror, average. :eek2:

12. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Not that anyone here would ever dream of caring, but Fango posted a glowing review of the documentary here and it sounds just fantastic to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2008
  13. boycrieswolf

boycrieswolf Guest

I'm with you onebyone. I purposely held off on buying the initial release because I had a feeling there'd be a double dip. If this doc is anything like the one found on the Devil's Rejects disc, then fans are in for an eye-opening look into the process of making a movie. I say bring it. I'm gonna go broke with all the cool genre titles coming out in the next few months!!!:D

14. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

4 hours and they couldn't even cover post production!? But really, I'll probably pick this up as I love watching documentaries on movie making as well. Full Tilt Boogie on the From Dusk Till Dawn two-discer was awesome! I didn't love the movie, but didn't hate it either, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this, even though 4 hours is a little extreme! Instead, I wish they threw on all the scenes from the theatrical cut and work print cut, and cut the documentary down to two hours. That would have been a better set if you ask me.

15. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

agreed i too wish they would of included workprint/theatrical scenes i am still not sure if i will double dip or not but the 4 hour documentary on the third disc far outweighs the entire 6 disc dvd release of anchor bay's halloween box set that comes out on the same day

16. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Damn it, that does sound very worthy of watching. I'm not sure if it sounds worthy of buying though.
    See I already have a 4 disc set for this (the original unrated 2 disc, the workprint custom burned, and a dub of the theater cut compliments of the library:)) and hate to double dip, esp. when I can't sell off the first release prior to the new one coming out. Since every Gamestop in town has multiple copies of teh first version and it's still in print, I'm kinda stuck.
    But Malcolm talking shit and cracking jokes all through filming sounds like gold...
    Hopefully I can request it at the library and they might order a copy. I'm kinda doubtful since they went with theater cuts the first time, and they don't often double dip (they have, but mostly for classics that had bare-bones version the first time, like Unforgiven, Godzilla, etc.). Unrated isn't out of the question either, as they had Dark Water, 40 Year Old Virgin, and others UR, but recently have been back to the R cuts for everything else (Semi-Pro, SuperBad, Knocked Up, etc.).

Color me torn, as I do want to see at least most of this doc, but very much don't want to buy another dvd set. Too bad they won't release the doc on it's own for those who did pick up the first dvd release. That I would be all over!

17. Good thing I held off on buying the 2 disc. I'll be getting this one.

18. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Do you have a Blu Ray player? Pick it up on Blu Ray and then the double dip doesn't feel so bad! That or try selling it somewhere else that buys used DVDs. There's got to be a bunch of places that buy and sell used DVDs. I know in my city there's at least 10.

19. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Haven't taken the BR plunge yet, I'm letting the moving costs settle in before buying anything else. I do have a fly new HD tv though, so BR is in the plans once I convince myself I can afford to live at the new house. After paying the down payment and buying furniture/tv I'm feeling mad broke though:eek:.
    I'm sure Gamestop or FYE would buy my old disc, but probaby only for a buck or 2 and maybe not at all if they keep track of stock as they all have multiple copies already.

20. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

anyone get this 3 disc set? i seen the dvd at bestbuy and at walmart today the slipcover looks great