Robocop (remake) trailer now online

Discussion in 'General' started by rxfiend, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Of course Alex Murphy is a hero. He is a hero in the same sense as John McClane or Douglas Quaid. Is he a superhero akin to the likes of Batman and Captain America? Fuck no. Absolutely not.

I am still trying to wrap my head around maybrick's assertion of Robocop "donning a "mask" to protect his "face" and identity" as if Murphy has some sort of choice to go out and fight crime every night.

The only reason the topic turned so weird was because maybrick's generalizations were so preposterous that the only way KBG could demonstrate how ludicrous he was sounding was to bring up the Harlem Globetrotters. Maybrick was contradicting himself four times over at that point and wasn't even agreeing with his own archetype of what a superhero was.

[​IMG]

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Contradicting myself how exactly?

The dc character Cyborg doesn't have the ability to take off his suit any more than Robocop does. It doesn't make him any less a superhero. Robocop doesn't technically "don" a mask, but his helmet still serves the same purpose. Duh.

The range of superheroes is wide open. Aside from the A listers you have Moon Knight. You have Hawkeye. You have the goddamned Incredible Hulk which I personally wouldn't call a hero but he gets lumped in with the rest all the same. Even the Frankenstein Monster is a DC Superhero! So why not Robocop? What about him makes him so different? He has powers and he fights crime. By the simplest definition of the word that makes him a superhero.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  3. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Going back through the thread and reading posts about the film not having any satire.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...ake-interview-with-director-Jose-Padilha.html

José Padilha

“The satire element of RoboCop is, I think, needed today,” he tells me. “That kind of social, aggressive satire I haven’t seen done well in movies lately. And it’s almost like the politics and violence in the world is asking for this: 'Someone please make some satire now!' So we’re going to keep that edge.”

So that answers that question. Unless of course he changed his mind since & the final film plays different.

4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Thanks, baggio. I hope that these kinds of scenes didn't end up on the cutting room floor as I agree that this series really needs its element of satire.

5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

My 2 cents on the superhero discussion.

Just for fun I searched for Robocop in the Superhero database. Which harbors all superheros, villians, superpowers, etc...

And it came up empty. Judd Dredd, Punisher, Darkman, etc... were all in there. (now to be clear, this isn't the end all to the answer, but its a reliable go to source)

But interestingly I looked up G.I. Joe & Sgt Rock, and they didn't show up either. Imho, I kinda put Robocop in their category. It's strange because on one hand the original Robocop wasn't really a superhero, but in part 2 & 3 he did sorta lean that way. But there is a small part that bugs me, that he isn't a superhero because he is essentially a cop. He's just doing his job.

6. maybrick

And that is extremely fair, Baggio. Logical, without the need for condescension. Thank you. I will say though that many of the heroes that we're taught to honor in life, soldiers, firemen, doctors, and policemen, are just doing their job. Yes, Robocop is doing his job. But he isn't "just" a cop. He's even referred to in the film as "the Super Cop". Is it really that illogical to connect "Super Cop" with "Super Hero"?

Edit: the super hero database doesn't appear to be infallible. The Tick isn't on there, either.

7. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

He doesnt fit the typical superhero mold, but my buddy who was into comics used to draw Robocop all the time. Eventually I started identifying the character as sa comic book hero. So maybe its semantics or a matter of opinion. Speaking to that point, how would you geniuses define Kick Ass? "Vigilante Hero" "Comic Book Hero". Whatever. Its like when people try to distinguish goth music from post-punk, deathrock, etc. You just want bang their heads together. Blow your "yeah, but" out your asses.

8. AndresG

AndresG Member

I have a feeling it won't even come close to the original...

9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I just checked, The Tick is in there (well Tick is, but it's gotta be the same person). It just doesn't have any info/bio yet. And while Robocop is not in the database he is indeed part of the Marvel Universe. So it's quite confusing.

Here's a question. Would Steve Austin (Six Million Dollar Man) be considered a superhero? Because if he is then Robocop has to be imo. They both have similar stories (in terms of the rebuilding parts) Obviously Steve wasn't that far gone like Murphy. But he too was rebuilt & worked to fight crime.

10. maybrick

I would say that ALL of these characters (Kick Ass, Tick, Steve Austin, judge dredd, even V, or the Harlem Globetrotters when they play superheroes. Sorry, no Rick Grimes) are superheroes in their respective universes. Different universes have different rules.

11. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

oh man, i can't believe i'm getting sucked into this.

but, on a whim I looked up "superhero" on wikipedia and Robocop does fit most of the list of defining characteristics there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superhero

12. maybrick

It's awful, isn't it? It's just as bad as trying to define what makes a horror movie a horror movie. :D

13. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

In all this discussion around what makes a superhero, it's been missed that a mask does not, nor does hiding an identity.

14. maybrick

I'm not sure if it has been missed so much as not needed to be said. Of course you are right. Not all of them are as concerned about hiding their identities as others.

15. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Keep trying to spin, maybrick. It's entertaining to read. :lol:

16. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

BINGO!...That's what I've been trying to explain since this circle jerk began.

17. maybrick

Oh, sorry. I suppose I should have said "most" superheroes. Sheesh, you lot sure do like to split hairs. For fuck's sake. :rolleyes:

18. maybrick

It was? Really? Then why the fuck are you jumping all over my ass for saying that that is what he evolved into in the public eye due to the sequels, tv shows and comics? Baggio simply backed up what I had already said in that statement. The only part he disagrees with me over is the first movie itself.

I still contend that he was a super hero from the getgo, being a by the books origin story and all.

19. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Cause your pasty ass cheeks need to be jumped. :banana:

20. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on