Rodan / War of the Gargantuas 09/09/08

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by X-human, Jun 8, 2008.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

DVD Drive-In, on the scene reporting:
    Sweet, I've wanted to see the Frankenstein sequel for quite some time now.

2. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Awesome set! I can't wait to check this out.

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Thanks! I've been looking for info on future Classic Media releases since buying the Godzilla Collection and couldn't find Jack on their website. I think I'll hold off for a year or so just in case they try to fuck over the fans again like they did with the Godzillas.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  4. Roo

Roo Member

I can’t wait. I was getting a little worried about the Gargantuas release; I hadn't heard anything new in a while. Both movies are great and I'll snatch them up when released. :banana:

5. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Maybrick, I doubt CM has anything else up their sleeves, and considering this set will be sold under $20 at stores, there really isn't a reason to pass this up.

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I've been wanting a legit War of the Gargantuas for a long time. A few years ago I bought a bootleg and it's a poor substitute, plus it's just not right hearing Russ Tamblyn speaking in Japanese. Thanks for passing along the great news! :D

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

They were always upfront about the boxset the entire time though, they haven't mentioned anything about these as part of a future boxset.

8. maybrick

I can. They haven't released Mothra yet, have they?

9. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

And they probably won't be releasing MOTHRA, either.

Classic Media owns the American distribution rights in perpetuity for all the Toho titles they've released. This is because producer Henry G. Saperstein, whose UPA company handled the distribution of these titles in America, had a unique business relationship with Toho that allowed him to hang onto the rights (films like GODZILLA VS. THE SMOG MONSTER, which did not go through Saperstein, have since reverted back to Toho).

MOTHRA was never a Saperstein title and it seems that the North American rights are with Sony at the moment.

10. maybrick

All I meant is that there may be other Toho titles that Classic Media own which they'll sooner rather than later collect together in a boxset. Mothra was just off the top of my head. I'm not really waiting for them to release it.

11. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

The only disappointment with this is the lack of commentaries, but assuming the transfers are as good as the last batch of Godzilla flicks, I'm fine.

I've only seen both flicks on VHS, so I'm really stoked about grabbing these.

12. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I believe that this is the 1st time that the great War of the Gargantuas will be release on DVD in the us.

13. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

CM only has these films and the G films they released. Any other titles which were part of the UPA deal were reverted back to TOHO. I think Media Blasters already released some of those movies. So this release is their last of Toho films unless they pick some up in the future, which is highly unlikely. I get my info from the Monster Zero board and one of the people who post there, has helped CM directly. They make no mention of any other future releases.

And Mothra is owned by Sony, as is Mothra 3 (Heisei film) and other Toho showa era films (can't think of their names off hand). I suspect we'll never see those on DVD though. :(

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  14. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

we may never seen a good release of Destroy all Monsters as well, as the dreaded Adv Films owns that gems and they seem happy to release that nasty less than vhs quality dvd over and over again.

15. maybrick

Yeah it'd be nice to have a better Destroy all Monsters. At the moment though I'm more concerned about Megalon as it's the only film from the original Godzilla series that has yet to surface on DVD (at least in R1).

16. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Actually, Godzilla vs. Megalon's been released a few times over here in a few crappy public domain copies sourced from awful 16mm prints. I think the rights have reverted back to Toho, and I know they've been cracking down on the releases. The recalled MST3K set from a year or so ago is an example of that.

ADV's version of Destroy All Monsters is apparently crappy due to Toho's intervention. Supposedly Toho didn't have their DAM disc ready and so as part of their deal, ADV had to release an awful disc (non-anamorphic, no extras, no menus, not even any CHAPTER STOPS) to avoid Japanese importers grabbing it (especially since Japanese folks pay like $50 for a new DVD, which makes imported discs either cheaper or about the same).

The best thing to do with DAM, the original Mothra, Megalon, etc. is to go the bootleg route. When there's official and quality product (like the CM discs), I'd definitely pick it up. For the stuff that will never be released over here, or the stuff that's out but lackluster, I'd go for bootlegs without hesitation. I've got subbed versions of Mothra and DAM that are just frigging gorgeous (the R2 discs Toho put out are really nice and these are just copies of those transfers).

The only bummer is that for all of us that grew up with the AIP dubs and such, we'll probably never have them outside of older VHS tapes. As it is, the discs that Sony put out have the awful Toho International dubs (compare the version of Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster on the Sony disc versus the old AIP version), so it's not like there's any standard going on here anyway.

17. maybrick

I prefer not to count those as a release, thank you very much. ;)

18. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

wow, I might be old and gray when Godzilla vs. Megalon or Godzilla vs. Biollante or Godzilla 1985 ever gets release.

Perhaps the 3 rarest discs for R1

19. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Godzilla Vs Biollante is available via a great quality R3 dvd, complete with English subs. You can grab that for a few dollars off HK sites or ebay. Return of Godzilla has been released in R3 as well, though that is the Japanese edit, not the Godzilla '85 version. However, G85 had been aired on MonstersHD and I imagine it's been ripped and is floating around on some torrent sites.

As for Vs Megalon, there is an English sub DVD available in R4 that is really great.

20. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Sadly, I haven't been able to find an HD2DVD rip of G85. Hopefully it appears in the future, because that's probably the only copy we'll ever get.

Godzilla stuff has such a tiny niche market and now that the DVD market's slowed down so much, there's pretty much no money to be made. Classic Media put out fantastic stuff and apparently didn't do to well with it. There's no way someone would release a stand-alone, tricked-out copy of Godzilla 1985 or Godzilla vs. Biollante now, because there's no profit in it.

I've got R3 copies of Biollante and The Return of Godzilla (aka. 85) and they're both decent, but I'll be upgrading those to R2 bootlegs at some point most likely. It's really too bad that CM wasn't doing better and could pick up DAM, Megalon, Biollante, Return, and other Toho flicks to put out with the same treatment they've been giving the Godzilla stuff.