Rogue One (2016) non-spoiler Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Dec 14, 2016.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)
    Directed by Gareth Edwards

A few years back when the surprise announcement was made that Disney would be buying Lucasfilm and acquiring the rights to make episodes 7,8,9 as well as spin off every alternate year, people were blown away but a lot of scepticism was present. A lot of that was dulled after The Force Awakens returned to a base practical effects and brought the fun back to the Star Wars Universe. Now however we have the first of the spin-off anthology films which has its share of production problem rumours and will have us following a group of rebels trying to retrieve plans for the Death Star that will take us bumper to bumper with the original Star Wars from 1977.

For a start I will tell you that whilst there is a few old John Williams tracks merged into the score, the Michael Giacchino score takes you out of the universe as it pales in comparison to the scores of all the other films. John Williams music is an important piece of the feeling you get when you watch Star Wars and I would much rather they cobble together music from the previous 7 films than try and imitate it (poorly). The film is also not shot in the classic way all the others were but I guess these anthology films are going to take some risks and stray away from the Saga formula. After getting used to the look and score of the film you can still feel enjoy it somewhat as it still has the costuming, set design and sound effects we are used to.

The films first act introduces the characters and does so a little clumsily, in fact the structure is a little all over the place. The characters are all likeable though and well acted with Felicity Jones and Diego Luna being the stand outs the rebels. The second act has its moments but often stalls but the third act is quite excellent and even though this film is not a patch on The Force Awakens it does have much better aerial battles.

The effects were as strong as you would imagine even with this one being a little too cgi heavy compared to The Force Awakens. Luckily though there was no cringe worthy Snoke cgi moments. However
    the computer generated version of the long dead Peter Cushing once again playing Moff Tarkin from the original film, whilst getting much closer still has that uncanny valley effect that may be off putting.

There are a few easter eggs in the film and a couple of Holy sh!t moments but I never felt as engaged as I wanted to. It did not quite live up to the promise but it is certainly a solid effort and no disgrace to the franchise. I still enjoyed the film and plan to see it again on IMAX.

7/10

Steel76 and othervoice1 like this.
  2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Just got back from the theater, and I had a blast with this one :)

The first half was a bit so-so in parts, but the second half made up for it, and it had some of the best aerial/space combat since Return of the Jedi.

Yes, Cushing looked a bit uncanny at times, but it still was great to see his character make an appearance, and the voice actor sounded exactly like him :)
    Even though it wasn't the real Cushing, it still felt like it was him. Loved it!

It was also great to see Leia at the end, and how well it connects to the beginning of Episode 4.

There was a lot of things in this movie, that gave this old Star Wars fan, a bunch of epic nerdgasms :D

I give it a 8 out of 10!

3. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I think the look of the film also suffers by being shot digitally rather than on film. Gareth Edwards has never shot on film so I'm not surprised but it definitely has a different look

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm seeing this tomorrow and can't wait! :) I haven't read too much into this one so I'm looking forward to the surprises it has in store.

othervoice1 likes this.
  5. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

Darth Vader looks like he might be scary again in this movie. But I still won't see it in theaters.

6. thing

thing Well-Known Member

he has the best scene in the film :)

Steel76 likes this.
  7. thing

thing Well-Known Member

What did you think?

8. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I had fun with Episode VII. It was easily better than the prequels and I really enjoyed the new characters, but the basic plot was very "been there, done that."
    Rogue One blows Episode VII out of the water and makes me more excited than I have been since I was a kid for more Star Wars stories.

9. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I thought it had some slow moments like others have said but all in all I enjoyed it. Plus kudos to the way they ended the Rouge One story, that took me by surprise. I would have loved to know a bit more about what Vader and the Emperor were up to around this time but I get it wasn't really their story either; maybe we'll get more of that in another film down the line.
    The effects were also quite impressive and one of the biggest highlights of the film.

thing likes this.
  10. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Saw it in IMAX 3D tonight, the space battle scenes at the end were pretty amazing.

soxfan666 and Zombie Dude like this.