Romero remaking Argento's 'Deep Red' in 3D

Discussion in 'General' started by X-human, May 16, 2010.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

For the teeming Romero, remake and 3D fans comes:
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118019404.html

Alright, so my intro was a little tongue in cheek, but this is better news than the proposed back-to-back zombie sequels Romero was planning after Survival.

I don't mind the 3D. Romero and Argento are friends so this is more of a "Let's see what I can do with it" competition, kinda like Argento recutting Dawn. May make an interesting double feature with Argento's Dracula 3D...

2. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

F*ck this...
    This is sacrilege.

3. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Absurd! WTF? F*ck Argento! He's obviously possessed by the demon Uwe.

4. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

That is bizarre... I honestly don't know what to expect. The 3-D could potentially cheapen it.

5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Good god. Since all of Romero's films have been remade, he needs to remake other peoples films? And in terrific 3-D no less. Can we close the book on this technology please?

6. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Great. Another Uwe Boll style film made off Canadian taxpayer money. Wish Romero would have stayed out of Canada. Now every has-been director will come to Canada to loot our tax credits.

I have avoided Giallo so I can keep my good memories of watching films with Argento's name attached to it. Now this will be one less film festival movie that I have any interest in seeing. Of course it will sell out, anyway. The mostly Canadian cast and crew will fill up the seats and pollute the room with self congratulatory bullsh!t.

7. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

I think I'm going to be sick.

8. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

It's not April 1st, is it?

9. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Thew news itself isn't bad, but this 3D crap has got to go. It only looks good once in a while, but otherwise it looks dark and choppy. Pretty soon you'll have to drive out of state to find a screening of a movie you want to see in 2D.

10. Mitbox

Mitbox Member

I don't see how this would be profitable besides the 3d gimmick. Unless its a complete rewrite to appeal the masses (I love Deep Red but it's definitely not an easy movie to watch).

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Plus let's not forget that the film will be available for rent first for $15. Then it will be available for free on HDNET movies. Then it will be released in three theaters worldwide the following month. The next year, it will be released on Blu-Ray. Oh sorry, just blowing some Survival of the Dead steam.

12. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm still pissed off about that movie too. Final straw, though. Will not hesitate on avoiding future projects. One's life is too short unless it sucks.

13. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Perhaps it will fall apart before it gets underway as many of Romero's non DEAD projects tend to do.
    I honestly thought this was a joke when I first read about it.Guess not.Maybe this'll spawn a trend,old horror greats remaking each others films.Look for John Carpenter's SCANNERS and David Cronenberg's PRINCE OF DARKNESS next Halloween !

14. Mr. Eddy

Mr. Eddy Member

+ 1:fuck:

15. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Does anyone here feel like they've been put into an alternate universe hell for the past 3-4 years? Like, Hallowen, F13, MBV, ANOES, The Crazies, House on Sorority Row, Deep Red (???)...I mean, I feel like I am actually dreaming part of the time because I just can't grasp the idea that people are taking original films and simply upgrading them (at the same time downgrading, though) for the new cash-in market. I haven't been a huge fan of horror films since them from the late 80s era, but I've never felt sick to my stomach...until recently. It just feels so wrong. Remakes have been around for a long time, and sometimes they're interesting...or used to be. Now it's shameless plagiarism, with the excuse of an 'update for technology'. I'm disgusted. I may sound like a crazy fanboy ranting, but this is so stupid! Rip-off all ya like, but don't give us the same damn thing and tell us that it's sparkly new! Because it isn't. It's a secretive mission to just be lazy with horror themes and concepts. Fuck you Holllywood.

*tries to wake up*

16. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

While I can't imagine Romero re-making "Deep Red' (as intelligent and interesting as he can be, he's not the most polished or stylish of chaps) I do have admit that I kinda like this idea of other horror greats remaking the work of others. I mean, I'd like to Cronenberg's take on "Prince of Darkness" or "The Thing" And I would like to see how Carpenter would tackle an Argento film. It's at least better than handing the remakes over to a bunch of music video directors who just see this as doorway to better things.

Oh, and I'd give Romero one of Polanski's horror films.

17. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Dear Lord. romero is/was an average director at the best of times. This will be just plain bad.

18. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Sounds like I'm one of the only ones who is intrigued by this. If they're going to remake a classic horror film (which they are going to do regardless of our whining), at least it's from a director who works in the genre! And because of the working history Argento and Romero have had, I think this could turn out very interesting, regardless if it sucks or ends up being good.

19. deepred

deepred Member

I can see it now ....

Dario Argento's Phantasm
    Stuart Gordon's Basket Case
    Frank Henenlotter's Sleepaway Camp, etc ...

20. evileye

evileye Member

On the bright side, it will give possible ammo for Blue Underground to do a special edition / bluray release of the original. While I hate the remakes, at least they do up the chances of special editions for the originals!