Romero's SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD Contest

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Aug 25, 2010.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

The Zen master of the Zombie, George A. Romero, returns to his signature series once more with SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD, out now on Blu-ray and DVD from Magnolia Home Entertainment. We've got 3 DVD copies to giveaway, and all you have to do to enter the contest is tell us: What's your favorite Romero DEAD film?
    [​IMG]

The Zen master of the Zombie, George A. Romero, returns to his signature series once more with SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD, out now on Blu-ray and DVD from Magnolia Home Entertainment. We've got 3 DVD copies to giveaway, and all you have to do to enter the contest is tell us: What's your favorite Romero DEAD film?

In the past, Romero has explored humanity, consumerism, militarism, globalization and technology in his previous DEAD films (Night, Dawn, Day, Land, Diary) and his latest takes him to an island where his victims look to medicine and the hope that there is a future for themselves and those that are zombies for a fresh start. Now's your chance for a fresh copy of his latest undead, and all you have to do is tell us what your favorite Romero DEAD film is and why.

[​IMG]

Please post a single response submission in this thread. Contest will close on Monday, August 30th. After the contest ends, three random winners will be selected and notified in this thread.

So without further adieu, tell us: What's your favorite Romero DEAD film, and why?

Attached Files:

2. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Night of The Living Dead, no question. It was the first movie I watched on a VCR (old school!) and that end is burned into my mind for all time. Dawn was great, Dead was gory but there is only one Night!

3. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Dawn of the Dead. I still remember getting it on VHS from Anchor Bay for a job well done raking leaves one fall. One of the first horror films I ever owned!

4. MasterGio

MasterGio Guest

Night of the Living Dead. As far as gore & violence the movie was a break through for the highly important to where the horror film would go. it started the whole modern horror film/ zombie film & is the scariest in the entire series.

5. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Dawn of the Dead. I saw a midnight showing of it when I was 14 or 15 and if really blew my mind. The gore plus the feeling the film imparted that it really was the end of humanity.

6. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Definetly Night Of The Living Dead, because it was such a classic. It defined the zombie genre, really questions about civilization and society, it's one of those films that really makes you appreciate not just the horror, but the art.

7. sumo8675309

sumo8675309 Active Member

gotta go with dawn of the dead too, it's the only one ive bought multiple copies on vhs

8. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Dawn Of The Dead, favorite Horror Film period!

I still remember buying the Anchor Bay VHS from my local mall (of all places!) It was around Halloween time and I was about 13. I took it home and watched it for the first time, and afterward I knew that it would be hard to find a Horror Film that could top it....and I still haven't found one to this day!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  9. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Have to go with Dawn of the Dead. I love Night and Day, but I love Dawn of the Dead more because it was more gory than Night, and the plot was better than Day of the Dead, and because of the Makeup from Tom Savini, and the tagline "When There's No More Room In Hell, The Dead Shall Walk The Earth."

10. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Pretty sure I love Dawn and Day equally.

11. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

The original Night of the Living Dead is my favorite. It is the reason most of the horror movies made since were made. Full of stark, doomed atmosphere and unforgettable images. It is a pure classic that is the perfect bridge between 50's-60's style atomic age horror/sci fi and the modern horror film.

12. deepred

deepred Member

Night of the Living Dead is my favorite - I love Ben and the ironic ending. :) Though Dawn and Day are great too!

13. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

Definitely NIGHT. When I was a kid I would have said DAWN, but the gore and blue faces and bright red blood just don't hold a candle to the atmosphere of the original. I could watch DAWN any old time, but NIGHT I'll only watch in October because it's just that special.

14. chinoev

chinoev New Member

Dawn of the Dead is my favorite. The special effect can be kind of cheesy, but I think it has an interesting story and likable characters.

15. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Dawn of the Dead for me. I still remember watching it for the first time with my older sister. I feel that characters in this movie are the most likable and realistic of any of Romero's dead films. I still wish that the motorcycle gang never showed up and each of them where able to live it out in the mall.

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Dawn of the Dead would be my favorite Romero "Dead" film. I enjoy it more and more every time I see it. I just love the whole "mall" setting, and the film just works so well on many levels.

I actually used to prefer Day of the Dead more, but that's slowly moved to 2nd place over the years.

17. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Dawn of the Dead is my favorite simply because I think it's completely one of a kind and fascinating in terms of plot, style and overall substance.

However, nowadays I kind of feel like watching the entire series (up to and including Land) if I'm going to watch any of them. Which actually means I haven't watched any of them in a long while. Must remedy this soon.

Haven't seen Survival yet, but if I win a copy (*knockonwood*) I might have to do a marathon ... and give Diary another chance (ugh ...)

18. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

Night of the Living Dead. Romero actually pointed out my reason for loving this in a documentary about EC Comics. He pointed out that, when making Night, he took a lot of time to frame the shots in a way that was similar to the EC comics he loved 15 years earlier. It absolutely shows, and it's absolutely one of the reasons that the film has an aesthetic quality that is completely its own.

19. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Dawn of the Dead -I love both the director's cut and the theatrical. This is one of the films that I could probably sit down and watch any time from start to finish and completely enjoy. I love to wait a couple of years to pop it back in again and enjoy. It is just a masterpiece in my opinion. I think Romero's first four films in the series are entirely rewatchable, but this and Day seem to just get better and better with age.

20. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Night of the Living Dead. I remember seeing this a lot on halloween when I was a little kid on TV so it has a special place in my heart. Add to that its a classic and I think holds up pretty well today and I have to give it my vote.