Rondo Hatton

Discussion in 'Classic' started by The Joker, Jan 2, 2018.

1. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

Anyone else like Rondo Hatton? I have an odd fascination with him after recently seeing 1946's The Brute Man. Despite the film being universally panned (and having a 3.8/10 rating on IMDB), I actually liked it a lot.

I'd like to see 1946's House of Horrors next.

Anyone else?

Erick H. likes this.
  2. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Be sure to check out "The Pearl of Death," an enjoyable entry in the Universal Sherlock Holmes series. Hatton is used very effectively.

Erick H. and The Joker like this.
  3. The Joker

On my list as well!

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Of all his films, House of Horrors is probably his tour de force. A role better catered to his acting abilities with a good amount of screen time.

The Pearl of Death is one of the better Sherlock Holmes with a pretty good puzzle to its caper. Hatton's barely in it until the finale but he's given a good chuck of screen time there.

I need to watch The Spider Woman Strikes Back, which plants Hatton right dab in the middle of the poster but that might not mean much. But it stars Gale Sondergaard who's always great so that's reason enough to see any movie. Seems hard to get a hold of. :(

What's interesting about Hatton is that The Creeper was a reprehensible man but he comes off as sympathetic all the same. Hatton wasn't much of an actor so more of his true character showed through and that was of a good man in a bad situation. I'm guessing his stilted delivery was a combination of the condition he had, his lack of training but also something of reluctance to be in front of the camera. I think it was Brute Man which painted him the worst in the script but on film Hatton still made for a pitiable character. Funny how he was hired to look scary but just ends up looking sympathetic instead.

The Joker likes this.
  5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I have a soft spot for Hatton, I think he shares a quality that Lon Chaney Jr. also possessed, namely to bring a certain sympathy to a character who would otherwise seem like a brutish monster. Hatton's career essentially consisted of playing goons and spine -snapping murderers yet I always felt sorta bad for the guy , like if he'd just gotten a better break then maybe he wouldn't have ended up[ the way he did. I could never really hate him.

The Joker and zbinks like this.
  6. The Joker

The full movie is on YouTube. Better than nothing :)

X-human likes this.
  7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I was thinking the same thing, but Chaney Jr. always came off to me as a self absorbed asshole. And his scripts are usually trying to be sympathetic but failing. Just watching Frozen Ghost recently and it was rather bewildering to think three women are vying for this uncaring man who was neither kind nor grateful for the attention. And it doesn't seem like it was just the way leading men were portrayed back then. I think Chaney liked roles like that, probably because the men were like his father. And of course he could play sympathetic very well like in Of Mice and Men or Spider Baby.

Hatton's scripts weren't trying all that hard for sympathy but Hatton himself always garnered it. Because he genuinely was a kind person and no amount of disfigurement could hide that.

8. The Joker