Room 104 (HBO TV Series)

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Jul 29, 2017.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Did anyone watch the premiere of the new HBO genre anthology show Room 104? The show is set in the average American hotel room, with each episode telling the strange stories of the guests who spend a night there.

The pilot episode titled "Ralphie" stars Melonie Diaz as a babysitter called to Room 104 to babysit the guest's strange young son, who warns her not to wake "Ralphie", his imaginary friend who lives in the hotel bathroom. I wasn't a big fan of the pay-off, but the build-up was great fun!

The next episode "Pizza Boy" is directed by Patrick Brice (Creep) and stars James Van Der Beek. Looks like twisted fun!

I have a really good feeling about this show and I'm excited to see what it has in store. Definitely check it out!

baggio likes this.
  2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Never heard of this until now. Thanks for the info will check it out.

3. CPT HOOK

Episode 2 is like the first episode in that the ending doesn't really pay off the way I would have liked, but the build-up is twisted fun that put a huge smile on my face.

Loving this series so far. Highly recommended.

Steel76 likes this.
  4. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

So I got a chance to watch the first four episodes that have aired and I'm quite impressed. I was intrigued by the idea of an anthology show that takes place in one location, but still skeptical because I have a love/hate relationship with the Duplass Brothers (They're very hit or miss for me), but I've liked enough to keep up with the show going forward.
    I just want everyone who has yet to check this show out to know in advance that it is not a straight forward horror anthology in vein of "Tales from the Crypt" but more of a horror/sci-fi/fantasy combo a la "The Twilight Zone" with a dash of the quirky, Indie dramedy you would expect from Mark and Jay.

Here is my breakdown of the season so far...

Ralphie (Ep. 1): A Babysitter shows up to Room 104 to watch a traveling business man's oddball son named Ralph. Ralph is insistent that Meg, the babysitter, does not go into the bathroom because his imaginary friend Ralphie will hurt her. What ultimately unfolds, without spoiling the episode, leas to a revelation that ends in tragedy. It's a very paint by numbers formulaic story for an anthology series but the dialogue and performances from Melonie Diaz, who is always charming, and the twin brothers is what elevates this to something worthwhile. An entertaining way to start out the series. (7/10)

Pizza Boy (Ep. 2): Clark Duke plays a pizza boy who arrives at Room 104 and meets and unusual couple, played by James Van Der Beek and Davie Blue, who occupy the room. Duke finds himself trapped in the room as the couple is hesitant about giving him the money and make unusual accusation about his intentions. I was not a big fan of this one. I like some of the humor peppered into the episode, but I was not crazy about the twist ending. If anything the swerve at the end just cheapened it. Not only that but I couldn't shake the episodes resemblance to a segment from the 90's comedy anthology film "Four Rooms." It could've been worse, but yet it could of been a whole lot better. (5/10)

The Knockadoo (Ep. 3): Sameerah Luqmaan-Harris plays a troubled woman seeking spiritual salvation, whom upon arriving at Room 104 partakes in a transcendent ceremony with a cult priest (Orlando Jones). This one is the real stand out so far in terms of originality and story telling. Tony Todd does a great job as the cult leader and Sameerah Luqmaan-Harris is the real show steelier with a sympathetic, yet subdued, performance. The ambiance of the episode taking place on a dark, stormy night really adds to the atmosphere, giving off a great sense of dread and tension through, that gives you the feeling thatat any moment something sinister is about to occur. The ending here is a the antithesis of the ending to the "Pizza Boy" and succeeds at being both disturbing and darkly humorist. (7.5/10)

I Knew You Weren't Dead (Ep. 4)
    : Jay Duplass plays a Forty-Something-Year-Old man who moves into Room 104 following a voice message from his wife, telling him she intends on leaving him. While there, Duplass seeks advice from a "visiting" old friend and what unfolds is absolutely heartbreaking. This is without a doubt my favorite episode so far. The writing from Mark Duplass really shines in what is a touching story that examines human grief, how we cope with regret, and how we try to find forgiveness. (8/10)

CPT HOOK likes this.
  5. CPT HOOK

Love the reviews, I'm glad someone else is enjoying this series!

Episode 4 was actually my least favorite so far. Very slow.

The ending of episode 3 is HILARIOUS! Brilliant pay-off!

6. CPT HOOK

Episode 5 was another bust. Wasn't a fan.

Episode 6 was a ballet. Very experimental, the only dialogue comes from a brief answering machine message. I loved it though.

I kind of love this show. You never know what you're about to watch, but it's bound to be at least interesting.

HBO renewed it for a second season. Glad that it's doing well enough for them!

Hatchetwarrior likes this.
  7. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I'll take a look at this show probably during October or sooner.

8. ImmortalSlasher

I watched the first two episodes. I put up the spoiler tag just in case.

Room 104 Episode 1

I think this is a fairly good episode. It kind of felt a bit like filmed theater in parts. And not quite as dark or unsettling as an episode of Twilight Zone. One of my favorite episodes of Twilight Zone is the one with the lady at the bus stop. That's unsettling. Room 104 isn't quite there. They try to play the twist but not keep the ending. Which I thought was kind of a cop out even if you explain it on the Room. Still I'll watch more of these episodes probably in October to see what other stories happen in this room.

Room 104 Episode 2

I cheated and watched another. I didn't really like this one as it wasn't like a spooky Twilight Zone type episode. In fact, I was kind of disappointed in the subject matter. I'm sad to admit that I've seen some messed up stuff on the Internet. One of those being those dirty Pizza delivery guy videos. And the way this was setup early on, all I could think was they are making a story out of those crude videos. At one point, it seemed to add a bit of a Tarantino Reservoir Dogs moment. But then back to the pizza nonsense. I wasn't surprised by the twist when it happened. This episode seemed better suited to one of those softcore shows that come on Cinemax.

9. CPT HOOK

I think you may be disappointed as the show goes on. It definitely veers away from horror.

Although I really enjoyed the missionary episode, maybe my favorite so far.

10. ImmortalSlasher

Post reviews of the horror related episodes if you can. Perhaps I'll skip the non horror ones.