Roth Vs. Zombie: Who's the better director?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Jun 26, 2008.

?

vote

1. Eli Roth

48.5%
  2. Rob Zombie

51.5%
  1. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Eli Roth's made movies I found entertaining. Rob Zombie's made movies that I fucking despised. Yeah, easy decision.

All the Roth hatred is really confusing to me, I've always found his stuff to be pretty fun. We're not talking stuff I LOVED, but his stuff was always satisfying.

2. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Voted for Roth because he knows how to edit two shots together.

3. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

Roth is CLEARLY the better director, by a long margin.

4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Wow. 70 votes have been cast and it's still an even split. I had to go with Roth, though I certainly don't consider him very highly. I enjoyed CABIN FEVER, was totally disappointed by HOSTEL, and not surprised when the sequel sucked hard.

Zombie? I listened to everyone and looked forward to CORPSES, which was so shockingly inept that it made REJECTS seem like an improvement. HALLOWEEN was worse than I ever imagined it could have been.

5. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

I thought The Devil's Rejects was an amazing Movie. Zombie all the way. Looking forward to T-Rex.

6. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Love both, went Zombie. I quote 1000 Corpses and Rejects all the time. Hard decision though.

7. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I think Zombie has real talent, he jsut needs a decent script without all the excessive cursing, and some real actors, aka. not his wife!

Eli Roth is a horror fan, and I think that shows on screen with his many homages, but his directing isn't great. It's not bad mind you, but not great. And he needs to stop acting!

So my vote slightly goes towards Zombie. I think they both have lots of time to develop though, and will have a few classics in the resume by the time they're done. They are both just two big of fans to not finally do one or two right.

I think the two to really watch though are Alexandre Aja and Neil Marshall.

8. 19VOORHEES83

19VOORHEES83 New Member

I went with Zombie because overall i like his movies better. I loved Hostel when i first saw it but it doesnt have much replay value. Cabin fever was okay and Hostel 2 was one of the worse horror movies ive seen in 10 years. I think House of a 1000 Corpses is a really fun movie and it really surprised me when i first saw it because i wasnt expecting to get much out of it. Devils Rejects i thought was decent and Halloween is starting to grow on me more now because the hype is gone and i can just sit back and enjoy the movie. I also have to agree with you SPAWNINGBLUE about Alexandre Aja and Neil Marshall.

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I love both of these guys enthusiasm for the genre. To often Hollywood will hire directors to do horror films that don't have the slightest appreciation for it. These guys (especially Roth) are always the first to step up and defend the genre. Whether or not you like their films, you can't deny that they are both %100 true life long horror fans. I also have no doubt they honestly both want to make films fans will appreciate. Even if that doesn't always equate to results. How can you not support that?

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Wow, she's the only reason to revisit any Zombie movie. :D

11. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I went with Rob Zombie. He may not be the best director in the world, but Eli Roth, IMO, is pretty lousy. Cabin Fever is laughable, but perhaps it was the use of the word " faggot " throughout the entire film that was a big turn-off for me. Hostel was OK and Hostel II wasn't much of a change from the first film.

As for Rob Zombie, I enjoyed House of a 1000 Corpses and I really liked the Devils Rejects. As for his remake of Halloween, I am in the minority here. I actually liked his remake. Grant you, it's not nearly as good as Carpenter's classic and I would never hold it in the same light, but I really didn't think it was that bad. There, I said it!! Don't talk about me behind my back, it will kill me :p. All kidding aside, out of the dozens of remakes to make their way to the screen, this was one of the better remakes. I thought the character development of a younger Michael Myers was a nice twist.

12. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Zombie. As abysmal as his "re-imagining" (read: raping) of Halloween was, at least he tries to think outside the box, regardless of how small his box might be. He's incredibly more creative than Roth.

Roth is a talentless douche riding the coattails of Tarantino to get his name out there. He's a smug little prick and I don't think he has a great film in him. Zombie did The Devil's Rejects, which is infintely better than anything Roth could ever hope to conjure up.

13. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

:eek: Wow did he sleep with you wife and send you the video or something. Horror fans really get worked up. It's one thing to dislike his movies but...