ROTLD DVD, Tarman "Brains" Zombie voice is changed!?!

Discussion in 'General' started by Pukenstein, Aug 27, 2002.

1. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

acutally this movie was easy for me to find

the hard one was Last House on the Left, i had to go to a few stores before i found one

2. BFMF_97

BFMF_97 Guest

From what the store clerks tell me, there were about 50 copies in various stores here in Spokane. Within an hour of every store's opening ALL copies were sold. And I fucking woke up too damn late to get one...

3. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

quote:

I dunno if I wanna get this dvd now. I LOOOOOOOOOVE that movie, but those changes mentioned... I dunno. Thank God I still have my vhs copy.

I'd get it if I were you. The changes aren't that big of a deal, they change a couple of words slighty. It dosn't hurt the movie at all.

4. evilbaby

evilbaby New Member

I run the ROTLD DVD site and since O'Bannon (the director) spoke with me about all this, I can speak with authority on the subject.

The version you are all familiar with was the *producer's* version, NOT the director's. The producer's (like Tom Fox) changed O'Bannon's sound *after* he had finished it. The DVD now represents his wishes. I would think you would all support a director finally getting *his* version out.

This is not "Lucas syndrome" where George had control from the very beginning. O'Bannon never got "final cut" and his artistic choices were often over-ruled. Even now the film itself is not his cut as he originally wanted a different ending (f any of you have seen the workprint, you'll know which ending I refer to.) So hopefully if a "director's cut" comes out, we'll get the REAL version of the film.

Now about Frank's suicide, if you listen to the commentary track, O'Bannon explains the reasoning for removing the music. It's so we can hear Frank's death scream VERY clearly. The producers originally felt it was too "disturbing" so they forced him to up the music's volume. As any real horror fan will tell you, changing a film around to be LESS effective is plain BS.

As for Tarman's voice. Have any of you every noticed that in the original version, his voice changed EVERY time you heard him? *That* was the mistake, it's now fixed so it remains constant throughout.

So other than the one song being removed (due to legal problems) the soundtrack/mix is EXACTLY how it was always intended to be.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2002
  5. ive seen it on a few different video versions and now that you mention it im sure ive heard all the variations on these different videos. Good, another excuse to watch em all again hehehe :)

6. jeffschmidt

jeffschmidt Guest

I'm only a casual fan of this movie, but I do think it's great & I will grab the DVD once I can find the damn thing - everyone here is sold out, too :(

Anyways, can someone give a spoiler of what this alternate ending is? Thanks!

7. evilbaby

evilbaby New Member

The original ending was more, subdued. The Army cleaned up the site and loaded all those bodies, contaminated dirt, etc and loaded them up on a train. The last shot you see is a train slowly coming to a stop somewhere out in a desert.

8. The sound is the original VHS version on the commentary track though. ;)

The song is played all throughout the scene after suicide is killed. And the song plays over the FRANK burning scene.

Again, this is just over the commentary version, but it's nice to actually see the version I grew up with.

I'm glad his sound mix is included on the DVD though.

9. DavidHess

DavidHess Guest

The music running over the dialogue is also present on the spanish language track as well as the commentary.

10. evilbaby

evilbaby New Member

You hear the orig. mix because that's what Dan and Bill were watching in that screening room. The commentary track was recorded *before* the new soundmix was created.

11. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I found a copy at Wherehouse since my BB was all sold out. What a great disc. I love the glow in the dark cover. And the disc has some decent features on it that make it even more worth the purchase. Hopefully it sells well so we can see MGM release the DC soon. It fucking rocks to have this on DVD now.