RUBY Details; THE TWILIGHT PEOPLE, THE AFTERMATH, ONE MILLION B.C. (1940) Hit Blu!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bruce h, May 6, 2017.

1. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

From my Cinema Arcana FB page:

Some interesting news regarding VCI Entertainment's Blu-Ray slate for the rest of 2017, courtesy of a newly prepared magazine advertisement.

First up are details for their long-in-the-works HD upgrade of Curtis Harrington's fan favorite RUBY (1977). The film concerns a pregnant gangster moll who turns to the drive-in theater business following the bullet-bath her boyfriend takes right before her eyes. Sixteen years later, a series of gruesome, mysterious murders begins at their outdoor movie compound, and daughter Leslie is starting to act in unusual ways. A solid '70s supernatural thriller, the film always had a rough time gaining the reputation it deserved due to the proliferation of a censored, padded television cut that destroyed its original intentions. Dubbed a "Blood Splattered Special Edition," VCI's disc promises a new 2K transfer of the restored director's theatrical cut, straight from the original 35mm negative, and they've ported over the commentary track with Harrington and lead Piper Laurie, vintage interviews with the director, a new talk with David Del Valle and historian Nate Bell, and more. No date given, but I would expect a proper announcement shortly.

But that's not all -- the company has several other Blu-Ray bumps on the way!

Do you like Filipino insanity? How about Dr. Moreau stories? What do you think of Pam Grier? Well, with Eddie Romero's THE TWILIGHT PEOPLE (1972), you get all of the above, plus an amazing bat-man who flies around the jungle and rips up faces. A crazed little film that presents a gang of animal / human hybrids as they revolt against their creator -- it's a lot of fun if you're in the right mindset. The company's DVD looked great for the time; let's hope this disc follows suit.

If Greydon Clark's SATAN'S CHEERLEADERS (1977) doesn't put a smile on your face, what will? This primo slab of drive-in schlock follows the titular group of pom pom-pushin' protagonists who are kidnapped for demonic rituals by their school's Satan-worshiping janitor. Yes, you read that right. But things aren't always as they initially seem... Another long overdue refurbishing, I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

Not seeing a proper release since its Roan Laserdisc, Steve Barkett's THE AFTERMATH (1982) might just finally get the disc it deserves. This one's a violent, regional post-apocalypse tale that details an astronaut's return to Earth, only to find we've had a nuclear war in the interim and the planet's now populated with roving bands of mutant cannibals -- led by Sid Haig! Plenty of inspired action, surprisingly solid FX work, and one humdinger of an exploding head, THE AFTERMATH deserves to be better known than it is; hopefully this Blu-Ray will help.

Last, but not least, Hal Roach's original caveman basher ONE MILLION B.C. (1940) hits the format. Not as well known as it's '60s Hammer reimagining, because, well, it doesn't have Raquel Welsh in a fur bikini, this earlier edition was actually nominated for a pair of Academy Awards, including Special Effects and Best Score. I haven't seen it, but for those who crave the film, it's coming!

No details on any of these additional titles yet, but stay tuned to Cinema Arcana for any updates we come across!

[​IMG]

chancetx, zbinks and Katatonia like this.
  2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Good to see Satan's Cheerleaders is coming out... as long as they don't DNR it to death like they do on almost all of their Blu-rays it seems like.

VCI released The Aftermath on DVD-R a few years ago and didn't even include any of the Laserdisc extras (which they stated would be included), so maybe they'll get that right this time at least. The film honestly isn't too good however, so the Blu will have to be cheap to buy it again. I think I grabbed the DVD-R on a sale they had for like $5 or something.

chancetx and bruce h like this.
  3. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

I'll end up getting probably all of these whenever they have one of their 50% off sales. VCI is such an odd company - they seem to have maybe a few dozen genre titles that they keep recycling over and over plus a bunch of old public domain TV shows and movies. I'm glad they're still around putting stuff out, just always a bit surprised they've managed to survive.

Katatonia likes this.
  4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

DVD News Flash update on RUBY

Katatonia likes this.
  5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Sounds great! I just really hope they don't DNR it to hell like all of their recent Blu-ray releases have been. o_O

satans-sadists and zbinks like this.
  6. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Remember when the worst case scenario for VCI was an archaic MPEG-2 encode? They've managed to turn "fucking up a Blu-Ray" into an artform, of sorts.

Katatonia likes this.
  7. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for RUBY for a long time. Haven't seen ONE MILLION B.C. since catching it on the morning movie as a child. I actually tried to watch it online last week but the transfer was screwed up. Stock footage from that one turned up in a LOT of cheapies over the decades !

8. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Same here. I even got rid of my DVD copy when the BD was announced, which never arrived when it was supposed to and got me worried. Glad everything's been sorted out and all but I still have a nagging feeling VCI will ruin this somehow. They did a great job on Dark Night of the Scarecrow - their only great transfer - but I think it was because the filmmakers were involved. Looks like a stacked released though.

Erick H. likes this.
  9. zbinks

10. zbinks

11. zbinks

I could be wrong, but I think Ruby may have been authored with PC RGB levels. Either way, there seems to be a significant amount of black crush throughout the film.

12. zbinks

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=14098014&postcount=59

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=14098202&postcount=62

13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    chancetx likes this.
  14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

15. chancetx

chancetx Active Member