salo criterion collection

Discussion in 'General' started by bigmix007, Feb 16, 2008.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Yeah - I'm surprised. They say their test disc isn't - so I guess there's an outside chance.......

2. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I've never seen the film until I just picked up the new Criterion release. I haven't seen a film so obsessed with ass since Butt Sluts 15.

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Shit, I hope this isn't gonna become standard with the BFI. They're releasing Red Desert on blu in about a month and that BETTER not be Region B.

~Matt

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Anytime anyone asks me what Salo is about, I tell them, "Ass. It's all about ass. Things going in to, and coming out of ass."

(yes, I know it's about a lot more than that...)

5. rhett

rhett Administrator

Oh man, I never even knew RED DESERT was coming at all. I've been waiting forever for it to get properly released on DVD to no avail, so this will no doubt seal the deal. If ever there was a movie to watch in high def, that would be it. My LG will play whatever region, so bring it on!

6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

LG blu ray players are region free???

~Matt

7. rhett

rhett Administrator

Not region free, but region switchable. So region free for the non-lazy.

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Is that just a remote change - Rhett? And can you change it as often as you like?

9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Damn I'm jealous, Rhett. :) BUT PLEASE GOD let Red Desert be region free.

But I think the BFI had to make their Salo blu-ray region locked because of competition with Criterion's edition so Criterion won't lose sales. I know nobody will fess up to this but I bet you that's what's happened. The BFI owns the longest version of the film and aficionados will be going after their blu-ray and not Criterion's standard def release. Don't get me wrong, I love Criterion. They really put a lot of work into their DVD releases, but I think this time around it was all about the money. I mean yeah they are running a business and have to make profit, but that really sucks for "Region A" fans of the film. Hopefully there won't be a problem with Red Desert. I don't see why there would be.

~Matt

10. rhett

rhett Administrator

I have the dual format LG BH-200 player that supports Blu-ray and HD-DVD. To change regions you have to have the tray open, enter in a code in the remote and then change a two digit HEX value. You can do it as often as you'd like.

11. rhett

rhett Administrator

Saying Criterion did a lavish two-disc restoration complete with booklet and beautiful artwork just for the money is like saying Shoeless Joe Jackson threw that World Series with .375 batting average. SALO was on their initial Blu-ray announcement, so I'm sure that will be soon coming as well. Not to dog the BFI disc though, the transfer looks great.

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I meant that the reason the BFI disc is region-locked is that it probably had something to do with Criterion. LOL of course they release DVDs for profit (they ARE a business, after all) but I personally think they had something to do with the BFI disc's region "lockage". Hey, I might be wrong. :)

~Matt

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Looks like a good amount of DNR was applied to the BFI Blu-ray and the Criterion disc looks like it's had its flesh tones boosted. At first I thought the edge enhancement was a non-issue but looking at the full size shots I can see it pretty clearly. Very disappointed in both BFI and Criterion.

14. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

not according to that website:

15. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

"the Criterion has, both, the most detail and more information in the frame (side edges) - even more so than the BFI"

This is a comparison of what? The Criterion DVD and... what? The old BFI DVD? or the BFI Blu-Ray?

16. RJ Fielder

RJ Fielder Member

Old BFI. That review was done before the new BFI release.

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

^ Must be the old BFI, they haven't reviewed BFI's SD re-release yet just the Blu-ray (which, obviously, has more detail).

18. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I just bought this flick, although I think Teorema has more potential. I really need to get whatever the hell the Canadian equivalent to Netflix is because these weird foreign films seem to be the most interesting to me at this point (which sucks as I've seen zero of them, my ripe and cultured town doesn't exactly stock stuff like this). Any Canucks here use Zap or whatever the fuck it's called? They good with obscure stuff like Criterion or just random art house?

After reading the thread to be sure it was a good buy, I must say that the scraps were quite entertaining.

19. rhett

rhett Administrator

I was on the zip.ca train for a couple years. Great selection, they basically have everything, and if they don't you can ask them to get it in and they usually will. I canceled the membership after I'd seen virtually all the movies I really wanted to see. It's since gotten even better with a more effective ranking system that is similar to Netflix's.

Teorema is solid, but don't go expecting Salo. It's a lot more subtle and the decadence is more implied than anything. Still, Pasolini knows how to really fuck with the system, and Jesus worship takes on a whole new face after the man is done with it.

20. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Wow, I got the DVD in the mail yesterday and I haven't had time to watch it. What surprised me was the booklet isn't just your average booklet, it's 70 friggin' pages! A little extra reward for those 30 big ones I spent. I might have to pick up White Dog since the exchange rate sucks so bad and amazon.ca pre-orders aren't too pricey if you can lump a few together and are willing to wait. Might have to get Dead of Night to go along with it.