Salo - Uncut in the UK! Whatever next?

Discussion in 'General' started by DVD Connoisseur, Dec 15, 2000.

1. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

They're saying "I reckon" in England now? [​IMG]

A belated welcome, CR.

2. C.R

C.R Guest

Thanks man, i'm actually Scottish though so I'm unsure of what they use in England!!! I'll probably end up dragging my girlfriend to watch Salo as soon as it gets its cinema release over here in early January. I'm curious after all that arguing as to HOW nasty it really is. That aside, and in reference to my last E mail to this site, I just thought I'd alert people to the fact that Last House on the Left has been released on a really impressive anamorphically enhanced French DVD and that I've got a fullr eview of the new two DVD Dawn of the Dead release on my site (which contains Argneto's European cut and a widescreen version of Romero's cut alongside a ton of extras).
    hope this is of some use to someone out there!
    Calum

------------------
    www.lundwood.u-net.com/fl/firelightshocks.html CHECK US OUT!

3. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Yep, they say "I reckon" in little ol' England as well!

Calum, you aren't seriously taking your girlfriend to see Salo? Urgh! That's the least likely "date" movie I can think of! (I just know somebody's going to now suggest an even worse date movie, but you get the drift!)

4. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

Ohh! Ohh! I know! I Spit on Your Grave.

5. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

C.R. - I took your post down in the Euro Horror forum because it was pure garbage. It is one thing to discuss things and it is another to say things for shock value and to entice an arguement. I have no problem with people discussing meaningful topics but when someone resorts to personal attacks then I draw the line. That's why your post was deleted. You are more than welcome to post again there, as you have, and your other posts were not deleted. I just won't put up with people who attack people personally.
    I hope you post as many topics as you like in the Euro horror forum, but please consider the opinions of others. Thanks.

6. C.R

C.R Guest

No problem man. You said on your site you were looking for box art from the new Danw of the DEad DVD set - I'd be happy to E mail this to you, as well as the new Last House DVD. It's up to yourself. I'd also link to you on my site if you want. I don't feel what I said about Ripper was pure garbage at all (the way I said it may have been too strong so sorry aboutt hat one). All I said was that the film, to me, seemed designed to encourage a certain sexual gratification in its scenes of women being cut up. I never knew Fulci so I don't know, but that is what I got from the film. I love Fulci movies (even the Black Cat), but this one just pissed me off. I dunno how other fans of Fulci feel about it.
    As for date movies... I'd vouch for the New York Ripper or anything with the word 'cannibal' as the worst. My better half has sat through Tenebrae, THe Thing and Dawn of the DEad though so she's kinda used to it. I've forewarnded her about Salo anyway but if she doesn't speak to me for weeks I'll know that I should have taken your advice!

------------------
    www.lundwood.u-net.com/fl/firelightshocks.html CHECK US OUT!

7. DVD Connoisseur

The DVD is out in the UK on the 5th March. It's now available for pre-order on Amazon.Co.UK. (I'm still in two minds about purchasing this particular title.)

8. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

A friend of mine succinctly described salo - "It gives new meaning to the saying eat shit and die". [​IMG]

I personally wouldn't bother seeing it, and I basically agree with a lot CR was saying. I am just sick of salo having this legendary status based on no artistic merit, but purely shock value. At least Fulci was unabashed about just trying to shock people, he wasn't trying to pretend he was some artiste...

------------------
    Oh no, mother! Blood!

9. DVD Connoisseur

Quite embarrasingly, after posting the news about the UK Salo release in 2001, I've just got 'round to actually viewing it. It must have sat on my shelf for 12 months or so...

As expected, an unpleasant movie and the first film I've ever seen which made me have a gagging reaction to one of the (eating) scenes (no guesses required).

Overall, though, I found the film drawn out and nowhere near as shocking as the version which has played in my mind since I read about it all those moons ago. I'd genuinely dreaded the experience of viewing Salo but have survived it with most of my faculties intact!

10. adric

adric New Member

i just recently saw this too, and i wasnt as shocked as i was expecting. while it is overhyped, i thought it was still a decent movie.

11. Noto

Noto Guest

I love watching pretentious films whenever I can. I've seen the uncut version of Salo, and the only thing that made it difficult to watch was the horrible pacing. It isn't nearly as much a bad movie as a boring one. Part of this comes from all the "victims" save for two being completely unlikeable. One of those two is the very first to die. The rest just drags.

12. Franco

Franco Weekender

The Gaumont R2 release has an excellent transfer, remastered I suppose, as you can see in the comparison:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/salo.htm

All the other releases look like crap in image detail when compared with this french DVD. Unfortunately, it's missing some seconds plus it doesn't have spanish nor english subtitles. Know some italian but I'd like to read everything of it.

Know of any plans for an uncut R1 remastered release of this jewel ?

13. Two questions if someone could answer for me -

1. Is there a soundtrack ( as the music is beautiful )

2. where can i find a english subtitle file ( as i downloaded this movie a year ago that came with no subtitles )

Cheers and thanks

14. Franco

Franco Weekender

You can try here, firstworlder:
    http://subtitles.images.o2.cz/

I can't assure you that the subtitles will be synchronized with the movie you downloaded, though. Good luck!

15. Cheers and thanks Franco :)

16. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Would I ban the film...........no. Sure Pascollini was a creep but he had his vision.

But would I recommend the film to anyone aside from the curious......no. Its dull, badly paced..........terribly acted, pretentious and most of all.........STUPID. I first saw it cut and nearly fell asleep. I saw it uncut and nearly fell asleep.

I love reading about the so called parable of fascism in the film.........yawn..........if anything its about class not politics........

17. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I feel the same about the tired Cannibal Holocause and Dawn of the Dead excuses :D

18. Lionheart

Lionheart Guest

A few thoughts on "Salo"I want to thank anyone who will take the time to read this -

I want to thank anyone who will take the time to read this - there's a lot of thoughts, some of them conflicting, and I appreciate your patience. Please understand that these are my opinions, exclusively.

To really understand Salo, you have to understand the person behind it. Pier Paolo Pasolini had made many films before Salo, and Salo was his last. At that point in his career, he felt abandoned by any sense of justice or balance in his personal life and artistic efforts. He had lost his faith in God, and his faith in humanity. He felt that the films he made prior to Salo had been nothing more than "fodder for the masses". So what we have here, in my opinion, is a man who has lost faith in anything that could have possibly redeemed his worth in himself, his art *or* others, including God. This is the film he made during this period.

Pasolini was an "out" homosexual (at a time when it wasn't nearly as common as it is today), and a Marxist. Italy had certainly seen it's share of fascism, and the town of Salo represents a very tangible "leftover" from the fascist regime - a town put on the map by Nazis, for Benito Mussolini. That's the history behind the way this movie is "staged". The subject matter is based on Marquis De Sade's "120 days of Sodom". All of it takes place in the last days of the fascist regime in Salo. Marquis De Sade's "120 days of Sodom" are *real writings*, and Salo is a *real place*. He took the story and wrapped it around (loosely) the various circles of Hell, from Dante's "Inferno". I haven't read any work by De Sade, but I have read the entire "Divine Comedy" by Dante.

I won't go into the actual content of the movie, because if anyone is interested in seeing it, I don't want my opinion to color the experience for them. However, it's not a popcorn movie, or a movie to be taken lightly. I am also not going to get into the "morality" (or lack thereof) of the movie. If fascism mixed with De Sade is going to be the subject of a movie, it's not going to be pretty and a number of people will be outraged (and let's not be fooled about what fascists actually did). I am also not going to pass judgement on Pasolini - the truth is art and/or film does not hurt people. It's existence is not because it has an obligation to be "moral" or "immoral". That is up to the "mature and intelligent" viewer to decide, no matter what the medium of the art or idea is. I think that people who are constantly looking for "moral worth" in art/film/music/literature should limit themselves to things that will fulfill that need. As far as Pasolini's personal life, I'm not going to pass judgement on that. If I were to pass judgement on that, then I would have to throw every other director/artist/writer into the same Pandora's Box.

After I watched "Salo", I wondered who would make such a film and why. Now, would I make such a film, if I was feeling the same way? No. Would I use this as a subject matter for a film? No. Is this an important film? Yes. Is it revolting? Yes. But again, fascism and De Sade are the subject matters at hand.

Perhaps it's Pasolini's cruelest indictment on fascism, using the writings of De Sade to get the point across. Perhaps it is a rebellious move from a director that had felt rejected from the world, and rejects the world back. Perhaps it's the most vicious artistic statement that he could think of, reacting to his own frustration. At any rate, this movie is loaded with artistic interpretations that relate back to the central idea of the danger of fascism and the perversity of De Sade's writings. The most chilling idea, is how the victims become tormentors towards the end. Pretty toxic stuff.

Thanks for your time.