Santa Sangre cover art

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Hellbilly, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

It's cool Dan, you really should look into the region free JVC players, they are impressive.

2. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Ok I might check into that. the only ones I've seen around here are Apex and cyberhome.

3. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

The JVC players blow away the Apex and Cyberhome players. I own all three of those plus a few others and I can say that the JVC is top notch. I use the JVC to watch all of my discs regardless of region.

4. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

What's this JVC player you folks are talking about?

And, regarding the multiregion players, they essentially break down into two kinds. They're either ultra-cheap-o things like the Cyberhome that, by all reports, are sub-par players, or pricier things like the Malata, which sounds like a nice player and if I ever upgrade my five-year old Toshiba, I'll look into one of those babies.

5. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

Toshiba 2008, bought in December 1998.

Christ, five years...

6. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I just bought the JVC XV-S500 for a little over $200 shipped. It's supposed to be top of the line aside from the Malata (which gives you the ability to eliminate overscan, but the quality is the same). Hopefully it doesn't suck or I'll be pretty pissed off, but i have a feeling I won't be.

7. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Excellent choice, you'll love it!

8. Rainbowthief

Rainbowthief Guest

There are too many great NTSC R3 and PAL titles to not own a code free player, not to mention the fact that they can now be purchased for around the price of a boxed DVD set. Heck, if you're into Asian cinema, it's practically a necessity.

9. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Man, I want to see this film so bad.

10. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Hey Dan, just to let you know, I just got my region free player from 220-electronics today. Took 3 days from ordering it to receiving it I believe. Anyway, I hooked up FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING, the closest thing to a perfect A/V quality disc I have and it looked even better on this than my last R1 player. The sound was fucking fantastic too, as this has a built in DTS decoder whereas before it didn't. My receiever supports DTS, but I can safely say it sounds much better with this new player. If you're interested the link is here, and they have great customer service.

http://www.220-electronics.com/

I got the JVC XV-SA602SL.

11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

The JVC XV-N44SL looks pretty good also, any reason why you decided to go with the XV-SA602SL and not with the cheaper model?

12. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Hardware progressive scan is supposed to be significantly better than Software, which I believe most of the JVC's aside from the 500 and 600 have. This doesn't matter to me now as I have a shitty TV, but I plan on getting something nicer in the near future. Also, as I said, the DTS decoder is great, but I'm not sure if this is all in my mind. I didn't go with a cheaper model basically because all I had heard was good things about the 500 (which applied to the 600 as well), whereas there wasn't a whole lot of info on the cheaper one. Of course I haven't seen the other to compare, but I'm very happy with my purchase and for $200 it seems to be well worth it. Won't know for sure until I try out some PAL discs, which will be at the beginning of February.

13. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Looks pretty good Andrew. Nice choice.

14. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

When you try it, Let me know how it handles anamorphic PAL discs.

15. Andrew

Andrew Guest

It's guaranteed to play them perfectly, but if there's a problem I'll definitely let you know.

16. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Alright you talked me into it. I just ordered the JVC XV-SA602SL:)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2004
  17. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Damn Andy. Did you pay the $195 for that player? I was just seeing if they had it on Amazon.com and they got it for $99.

18. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Yes indeed, but Amazon's isn't modded to be region free I believe, and there's no simple hack for it that I could find. However if you just want to play PAL R0 discs then it is a good deal.

19. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Oh, I see. I didn't read about the modded part. My mistake.

20. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Ya I almost bought the JVC XV-N44 at Future Shop for $149 CAN until I checked on the web and found out they have to be modified for region free just like the XV-SA602SL. I have checked a few places on the web and $195 is the cheapest altered XV-SA602SL I found except for this one place that was selling it for 169.99 but without all the guarantees and free accessories www.220-electronics.com was offering. So I decided to pay a bit extra and go for the safe bet.