Saw Argento's Dracula. It's worse than you thought.

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by The Chaostar, May 20, 2012.

1. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

You should have seen the long faces in Palais Du Cinema at Cannes (greetings by the way). It was like leaving a funeral.

Dario Argento's Dracula is not just the worst Dracula I have ever seen. It's a heavy, robust gravestone, capable to cover your most beloved hero for ever. It looks horribly cheap, uninspired, boring, bland and at times it's just so bad you have to shake your head to come to your senses. The music? There are keyboard samples in the soundtrack I was using in 1996! These sampled violins sound so cheap! It looks like a bad video game and the CGI is of BIRDEMIC quality. I mean it. It's a film that makes you want to run away from it - even if you're seeing it on a plane.

But I had to stay. I had to suffer until the very end of this bad, humiliating, embarrassing film. I had to. Because now I can say "Addio Dario".

You know what the funny part is? Thomas Kretschmann is really trying. He is a good Dracula. He just thinks he's in a good movie.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I'll still give it a watch. I find even in his later works I usually find something to enjoy, even after they have been torn to shreds by the fans.

3. killit

killit Active Member

oh no, poor Thomas

4. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

That is disappointing- Ill probably have to give it a rent just to see for myself just how awful it truly is - but thanks for the warning <:

5. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I have to watch just to see for myself but I've been disappointed with his last several movies (Giallo was especially bad).

6. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's possible for this film to be worse than what I'm expecting. Every aspect appears to be hopelessly amateurish. But I was hoping for good-bad, not dull-bad. Aren't there at least some unintentional laughs? The CGI and over-emoting look promising. Michael Bolton is more restrained than some of the actors in this film.

Please tell me there are some cheap laughs.

7. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I like Dario and life too much to waste time on this. Hearing too many bad things. Thanks for the heads up, Chaostar.

8. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I have to see it as a completist but I am wary of this one.Wish Argento had stuck with his original screenplay from a few years ago,I think it was titled BLACK SUNGLASSES (or DARK SUNGLASSES,don't recall),that sounded like a vintage Giallo.

9. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I never thought anything so I will gladly pay to see it...

I mean, I consider "Howling IV" a great movie...

10. The Chaostar

You may think I am overreacting as a fan. I tell you this: I have found interesting things and flashes of brilliance in Phantom Of The Opera. In Il Cartaio. In La Terza Madre. I consider Stendhal one of his best movies ever.

This... has NOTHING going for it. There is not even ONE good set-up. Not ONE good shot. There is a scene with a gigantic praying mantis, impaling a poor guy with its feet. Yes, you read that right. They cut from a horrible CGI to a horrible prosthetic sting that would be deemed unusable by Ed Wood. Sometimes it's so bad you are at awe. And it is also BORING. Dull dull dull I tell you. Aesthetically it's a piece of shit too. It is really that bad.

11. The Chaostar

And no, there are not even cheap laughs to be found - minus the CGI.

12. shape22

Damn. That's a bummer.

13. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Man, I don't know if I want to watch this now. I almost watched yesterday, Suspiria, Inferno, and Mother of Tears, but chose to watch something else, a movie that I taped from Sci Fy Saturday, and the May 11th and the Season Finale Episode from May 18th of Supernatural. It's going to be hard having to wait until October to see what happens with Dean and Castiel in Purgatory, and what Sam will do without Dean. Both episodes were AWESOME, and glad that Dean's "Baby" was back with Born To Be Wild in the background.

14. The Chaostar

15. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

If anyone could find a reason to study this film, it would be The Chaostar, given his appreciation for Argento. Since even he has abandoned it, I'm not going to bother.

16. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I don´t state otherwise but maybe this movie suffers from the same proble as Giallo... producer´s interference.

I know Argento is not the same director as before, but descending so low as you describe it, my only thoughts is that he forgot everything.

17. DVDSRFUN

DVDSRFUN New Member

...will still be checking it out; hoping for some redeeming aspect (any remote comparison to anything Birdemic worries me). How's Rutger Hauer's Van Helsing performance, btw?

18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i found lots to enjoy in Birdemic. i'm still really looking forward to "experiencing" this.

19. shape22

I agree. I prefer a truly awful film to a mediocre one. This looks like my kind of trash.

20. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I figured since I saw the leaked promo trailer a year ago. It looks like Argento has truly lost it.