SAW....Horror movie of the YEAR!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by intothevoid2004, Oct 25, 2004.

1. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

Yeah, the audience was laughing when I saw it as well. Also, I have a beef with that one line; (roughly)"Technically he's not a killer, he never killed anyone, he finds ways to make his victims kill themselves"
    Ummm, correct me if I'm wrong....but if you abduct someone against their will, and make an elaborate situation for them to die or live 50/50, you're a killer.

2. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

Correct. Also, if you continually shock someone, that is murder as well. So is putting a vice grip on someone's jaw and setting a 1 minute timer. So is setting a trap so guns go off.

3. evileye

evileye Member

Sadly all the cool torture scenes were pieces of flashbacks (and badly edited ones at that). There is some terrible "MTV" effects (what was up with the Shawnee Smith epilepsy-cam spinning around during the jaw scene).

The movie was not all that bloody and Elwes crawling around in bad pancake make-up googling his eyes like Peter Lorree sent me into fits of laughter. They couldn't even have the balls to come through with his final "solution". The movie does try to pay hommage (aka rip off) may classics, but a lot of it I found boring. I would have lived with this as a DTV flick, but as a pumped up "classic", I was let down.

But the true test was the amount of laughter generating throught the audience. I have not giggled so much since SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE 3 in a theater. I guess there is some entertainment value in that.

4. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

Don't lump Elwes are Lorre together, sir. Lorre is far better than that joke of an actor will ever be. Every other word out of Elwes mouth in Saw was "Fuckshitbastardcockpissmotherfuckingbastardiamgoingtokillyouyoufuckingsonofabitch!".

5. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

Call me crazy but I liked Elwes over-the-top performance in this one... I don't know why, but he came off as incredibly likeable.

6. H0MOSareGAY

H0MOSareGAY Guest

I finally made it in. I'm suprised at the amount of negitive reviews. The movie was extremely tense. Some of the MTV editing was kind of weird, but I really only noticed that on two scenes, the rest seemed to work out pretty well. The acting was also a little cheesy, and probably would have been more effecive with better actors, but Danny Glover more than made up for it (That guy is the greatest). It wasn't the greatest thing ever, but I'm very interested to see what the people who made this do next.

7. betterdan

betterdan Guest

We saw this on Halloween night and I thought it was ok. The Doctor's acting was pretty shitty but I could live with it. The ending is what really brought the movie down for me. Overall I would give it a 6 out of 10.
    The End

8. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I heard laughter when Elwes started spazzing out. Then
    when he does his whole "I'm going to get help" speech, people were chuckling here and there

9. Ash

Ash New Member

I caught a free screening of it a few weeks ago and was greatly disappointed. It was the worst horror movie of their year IMHO.

10. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

Elwes got some chuckles during the "I'm going to get help speech" but the crowd was deadly silent during the "saw" scene.

11. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

12. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

I was reminded of three Italian horror directors while watching SAW. First the drill bits towards the head was similar to CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD by Fulci, The Puppet on the bike was Argento-esque (DEEP RED), and when a character is talking on a green phone, I felt the presence of MARIO BAVA. Anyone else see the Italian Horror influence?

13. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I'm not saying it would be any good, but I'd definitely like to see how they would go about doing that.

I'm really curious if they'd confirm whether both Elwes and Whannel's characters actually survived or not.

14. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

I thought the same thing. Many references to the European Film community, which always scores points with me.

I thought this was a lot of fun. I liked the gore which made up for the acting, which really isn't as bad as some make it out to be.

Overall I was impressed.

15. lethalkrs

lethalkrs Guest

I wasn't extremely impressed with it on first viewing, but had a bunch of immature idiots cracking jokes and yelling in the theater the whole time. That crap just ruins the atmosphere. Will have to check it out again sometime without the distractions.

16. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Any truth to the internet rumor that at one point in the film, the killer
    gets Detective Murtaugh trapped on a toilet fitted with explosives once again
    ?

17. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

I picked up on the Fulci reference, but the Argento one much less so, and the Bava one I was completely oblivious to.

The movie has much more in common (both in style and substance) with the works of David Fincher.

18. STREET TRASH

STREET TRASH Synthicide

I thought it was an excellent movie ~ despite some of the bad acting and the annoying MTV-like editing. Will definitely be picking up the DVD.

19. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Nope.