sAw II Reaction Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by KillerCannabis, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Really? I thought he was the weakest actor of the bunch.

2. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

I didn't think he was really any worse then the others. Either way, I still thought his character was the most fun and his performance worked for me.

3. Jamm

Jamm J'aime les cadavres

I've managed to stay away from this thread until now. We finally rented this last night and now that I've read through everyone's post, I will join in and say that I agree that it's better than the first movie, and a lot better than I was expecting it to be. The gore was good, yes, the house reminded be of "Cube", and I thought the twists were super clever. I picked up on the whole
    taped broadcast thing though, as soon as I noticed that the female cop couldn't see him moving around the house. But not on the fact that his kid was right there safe and sound in the safe

Overall, a good example of a sequel being better than the first film.

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I rented it last night, and finished watching it this morning.

I thought it was one of those rare instances where it actually was a better film than the original. The first one was good, and original, but I'd have to say that this even improves the original concept.

I agree with Jamm, it did very much remind me of Cube when it took place in that house. Even right down to the character profiles and mannerisms, it was quite similar.

I probably won't be buying it for a while though. I'd guess there's a good 99.8% chance that an Unrated disc will appear shortly.

5. shift

shift Hot as shit!

love the surprise ending. lol

6. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I watched this again the other night for the first time since seeing it in theaters and I actually liked it more this time. Maybe now that I've had ample time for it to sink into my head I could immerse myself more fully into the film. Sure, there were still some things that felt out of place or unused ("Over the rainbow" comes to mind since that never came to play), but I have a feeling that some things may be fleshed out once the unrated DVD comes out since you know it will. This disc screams "first edition" in every way. No real extras, just some quick behind the scenes snippets. No deleted footage and no DTS track. Oh well, I can't complain too much since I knew all of this before I bought the disc. And I'm glad I did because I really enjoyed the movie again.

7. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

They actually did use the "over the rainbow" clue. The numbers for the combination to the safe on the back of each player's head were in different colors. The colors of the rainbow tells you the number sequence (red, orange, yellow, green...etc). Otherwise, there's no way the Xavier guy could just guess what the order was. It would mathematically take him forever...

They tried being a little too clever with the clues sometimes and most people don't catch on to this one because they never explicity point it out.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  8. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Thought the first one was boring and poorly acted turned the 2nd one off after about 30 minutes

9. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Like Guyver said, the over the rainbow was there, it just never got to be used. I thought this was a much tighter movie than the first. I only have 2 questions, the timeline and locations.
    After a thrid viewing (first theater, then dl, then detailed-filled dvd) I picked up a few things I didn't before. The vcrs were in a different location. More importantly, for being a detective Donnie should've noticed all the bodies in the real house were at least a day or 2 rotted, and should've felt/seen the trap coming. Of course he was shown to not really be a good cop so that mixed with his freaking out about his son could cause him to miss something so obvilous.

They got me on the double-dip last movie, so this time I rented! I'll buy the next version if done right.

10. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Thanks Guyver. I suppose I would have caught that if I wasn't COLORBLIND.

11. Number Six

Number Six I am not a number...

Shit...I'm not color blind, and I still didn't get it :hum: .

12. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

I guess the only real problem I had with the film were the characters. There were just too many...you never knew exactly why Beverley Mitchell's character was chosen by Jigsaw and at the end of the movie, you realize there's no point in her being there in the first place. She doesn't set off a trap, she doesn't get any gore scenes...she's just there to be hysterical--which could've been assigned to the one of the other female actors. I guess the only reason she was there was to show off the cleavage and I don't think they even took off her coat.

It would've been nice to have only 4 or 5 players and have them go through each of their puzzles. Instead, you get the feeling that Jigsaw wasted his time on 7 puzzles and most of them weren't even used. :hum:

I still thought it was a great film, but it doesn't live up to the first. I like Saw II for different reasons than the first. This one played more like an action movie with gore.

13. gore

gore Guest

I liked the first better, not really sure why. The second one seemed to have a thrown together ending. I guess it wasnt that bad but toward the very end I couldnt help but have a give me a fuckin break sort of feeling.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2006
  14. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

The first one reminded me a lot of SE7VEN, this one reminded me of CUBE. I think I liked the first one better. One thing that bugged me about the ending:
    Did she put the detective in any kind of trap or did she just leave him locked up someplace to die? It seemed like she was just locking him up somewhere,
    in which case she really wasn't carrying on Jigsaw's work since Jigsaw's victims always had a possibility of escape.

15. Surnom

Surnom New Member

Saw it last night. I felt it was ok, on par with the first one even if it's totally not the same kind of movie. I liked the first one "huis-clos" feel. This one felt more mainstream, even though I didn't get the twist or twists before the end...

I don't think a third one would be appropriate
    since Jigsaw would be replaced by Amanda

and just how many twists can they come up with with that plotlines anyway... Any more movie would be, I fear, more of the same, getting more and more unoriginal.

I also liked the way they connected the two movies. And I also thought of Cube, but Cube is so much better than this...

16. My take on the ending:

The whole movie is Amanda's game for the detective. He had his chance to escape when Jigsaw kept telling him to sit and talk and he'd find his son safe and sound. The detective was too hot headed though and that's what caused his demise. His punishment for failing in the game was being locked up and left to die.

And Guyver99, the only reason there were 7 people in the house was for the
    Over the Rainbow clue, there are 7 colors in the rainbow, so Jigsaw and Amanda needed 7 people (6 not counting Amanda) to put the numbers on...there might not have even been 7 traps in the house for all we know

17. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I was really bummed out by the ending, simply because...

If there's a third one, and Amanda is the "mastermind," how is she going to drug up/drag/carry all the victims into one spot? I mean, she's got a tiny body frame. Of course, Jigsaw has cancer and is weak but he got people to help (like the nurse in Saw and then the thug in Saw 2). Is Amanda going to get accomplices? Will this create a "cult" of worshippers?

18. I kinda like that
    cult of worshippers
    idea.

19. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Yeah me too. That would be a great direction to take this in now that DrHerbertWest made me think of it.

20. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Well, that's exactly what I thought when...

Amanda says "he showed me the way." I completely pictured him teaching younger people about death, testing them and if they pass, they join up. That's the only logical thing I can see about a Saw 3, is if they maybe did a whole group kind of story.

That being said, even though I was a bit put off by the ending, I thought the movie as a whole was pretty good.