'SAW' - looks great but diabollically stupid

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by DVDnightmare, Dec 22, 2004.

1. DVDnightmare

DVDnightmare Guest

I can sorta understand how this flick made $50mil @ the US box-office. It looks really good and has an interesting atmopshere, and was released when nothing else was on, so it came out kinda 'fresh'...But sitting down to watch it, it quickly became clear how diabollically stupid the film is. With dialogue that coulda come straight outta a 'rocky and bullwinkle' cartoon - and yes folks this is meant to be a 'draining, visceral horror' movie, it's a film that coulda been a classic, but clearly isn't, and is marred by some seriously groan inducing dialogue and over-acted situations, with the only thing saving it from total camp being it's spiffy Aphex Twin videoclip type visual style. The film is a perfect example of the total dumbing down of the horror genre, and doesn't even have the exagerrated over-the-top stupidity that often makes yr average Italo-giallo-splatter film so enjoyable. It's even passed of as a 'psychological horror' film, probably true if yr 8 years old.

No folks it's dumb-ass popcorn fodder that'll take yr 11 bucks (as it did to millions) and defintely won't give it back.

If you were smart, a Net download might have saved you the 11 bucks. :fuck:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2004
  2. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I agree. I saw it at the Toronto film fest and the audience questions for the directors afterward were just as dumb. So, that indicated to me that they definately had an audience for this.

3. skmastaz

skmastaz New Member

I liked saw. Though it had some of the worst over-acting I've ever seen, I really think the story was pretty good. I think the writer/director tried to combine too many genres though. With the obvious evil dead trap and black christmas rip-offs/tributes it's apparent that he's at least watched lots of horror. He needs to try to stick to one idea instead of jumping around so much though. And the cop side-story should have been ditched for sure. I think that if he doesn't direct his actors to suck in his next film it could turn out to be pretty good.

4. SEANVALEN

SEANVALEN Active Member

Another fan for Saw right here, there's far worser horror films and you know it, this is a good modern horror flick, whats great and best is another debate, but Saw is watchable.

5. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is subjective. Most horror films have bad acting. Although we do tolerate them, they don't get the push that Saw did which is what threw me off when I viewed it. Mind you, after Blair Witch, I am suspicious of such hype anyway.

6. Wermode

Wermode New Member

I wasn't expecting Saw to be the next (*insert favorite classic horror film here*), so I found I could just watch and enjoy it for what it was: a moderately violent popcorn movie with notable suspense, red herrings, and plot holes.

I can't imagine buying the DVD, because it won't stand up as well in repeat viewings (for reasons obvious to those who saw it).

7. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go as far as saying it was stupid, but it was a big letdown. They could've done so many great things with the premise, but instead resorted to MTV-style editing and a dumb final twist.

8. H0MOSareGAY

H0MOSareGAY Guest

I hate to sound like an asshole, but this didn't really tell me anything about the movie other than the fact that you didn't like it. For anyone who hasn't seen this, they'll have a hard time grasping exactly which concepts you didn't like, which makes it ineffective as a review.

9. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

The ending sucks... revelation/unmasking endings only work if the audience at least has some chance of guessing who the killer is. In this case, the identity of the killer was impossible to predict, making the whole thing look like an exercise in wankery. First ten minutes are perfect, and then the movie slowly slides down into mediocrity. The more it goes along, the worse it gets.

10. Adam13

Adam13 Guest

I expected too much out of it. I was looking for a pure pyschological thriller/horror film, I saw the trailer and thought "Now this is going to be like Se7en, but instead of the aftermath of the crimes, we actually will be able to see the crimes." And then I see the film, and we still only catch glimpses of the crimes, no more than what you see in the trailer. Also Danny Glover....WTF? He becomes obsessed, as most cops do on a case like this, but his character was not even compelling enough to take interest in. The ending was pretty cool, the "twist" as they call it, but by the time I got to that point I was already so dissapointed with the film that I didn't care anymore. What could have been a great greqat movie turned out to be a mediocre film, based solely on the overacting, the non-interesting characters and the way too quick editing without showing enough to classify it as "horror." I am looking forward to seeing it again, but ultimately I was let down..as I have been with every horror film the last 10 years.

11. DVDnightmare

DVDnightmare Guest

It's really just another really mediocre Lions Gate film behind all the other over-hyped mediocre films they've released the past few years from 'House of 1000 Corpses', to 'Cabin Fever' to 'Wonderland' - you notice all these films seem to have a similar over-editied MTV style, most never live up to the pre-release hype, and most end up making more money than they should . Lions Gate prove they make shit horror flick but do fantastic marketing, and it wouldnt surprise if they have staff that just milk Bulletins Board as part of their rubiishy hype machine. Kids, download the fucker from the Net and put them outta business, coz like Johnny Rotten said 'ever get the feeling you've been cheated' - and Lions Gate are experts at that!

12. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

As much as I can appreciate your comments, DVDnightmare, and FULLY understand where you're coming from and why you're upset, I CHERISH Lions Gate, because they're pretty much one of the only studios out there with any sort of pull or clout that has bothered with horror product lately. Dimension kind of went away after the whole Scream/Sexy-but-aloof Teen Star cycles fizzled out, and the majority of the other studios always downplay their horror product with few exceptions....

I despise trumped up publicity (a la Blair Witch) and have learned to detect the signs, so I avoid films like Saw in theaters simply because I don't like feeling manipulated by the audience around me, I usually wait for those to hit video and then make up my own mind...

You're totally entitled to your own opinion, and it's an opinion that I feel is pretty damned valid--but for me, I think I'm going to continue to be grateful for Lions Gate, because they're out there waving the horror flag pretty proudly, and they're one of a very small bunch.

13. DVDnightmare

DVDnightmare Guest

Fair enough...So was 'saw really better than 'the machinist'? Coz it must have been to do so well when 'the machinist' sunk without a trace....

14. MrVess

MrVess Guest

Comparing "Saw" to "The Machinist" is like parking a rusty bike next to a Rolls-Royce.

15. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

Did Danny Glover complain about "Only three days to retirement"; "I'm too old for this shit", etc? :D

16. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

He was pretty much in the same old Lethal Weapon-type role in this, except this time Mel Gibson wasn't there to chase the bad guys once he ran out of breath.

17. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Don't forget that Saw is the first feature of the director and the writer. That doesn't make it better than it is, but as a debut of two very inexperienced filmmakers, it at the very least shows promise.

I enjoyed it; thought it was scary and suspenseful. There were some big flaws, but none big enough to destroy the film for me ...

18. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    I agree it was enjoyable, but the victims and cops are just plain stupid at times I was rooting for the bad guy to kill them all in the end.

The editing was pretty good

19. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

I Want This On Dvd