SAW VI updates [EDIT]

Discussion in 'General' started by SEANVALEN, Mar 9, 2009.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

3. rhett

rhett Administrator

Hot from the press, the new SAW poster.

[​IMG]

God bless Lionsgate.

Attached Files:

• saw6.jpg
      saw6.jpg
      File size:
      100.7 KB
      Views:
  4. TheShape

TheShape Member

I see an interesting parallel here. The Saw franchise is to the 2000s what the Friday the 13th franchise was to the 80s: one per year until it stops being lucrative enough. One question remains: will Jigsaw get stuck at 8 for a while like Jason was?

And the ninth entry will be called "Jigsaw goes to hell: The final Saw" ;)...

5. rhett

rhett Administrator

The only difference is that Jigsaw has already been dead for three films already. The way the series is always backward looking, though, they can surely keep going forward without having to turn Tobin into a zombie. Sequels work very well in this case.

6. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

Two other sure signs of the decline of your horror franchise is when the monster goes "In Space" or "In the Hood".

7. AndresG

AndresG Member

What's next? Saw VII vs. Predator?

8. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

The best part is that only the first movie actually dealt with a saw. Unless of course you want to consider "Saw" short for "Jigsaw". Like a nickname or something.

"Hey, 'Saw'! How's it hanging dude?"

9. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

The saw returned with a vengence in parts 3 and 5, at least Saw blades did. For that matter, when I first heard of Saw, I thought of a rotary saw and not a handsaw, so it's been getting closer to what I first expected.

10. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

Or maybe they call it that because once you've seen it, that's what you Saw.

11. AndresG

AndresG Member

haha, yeah, why not :D

12. shockwave

shockwave New Member

I'll say one thing about the Saw series, at least they're entertaining and cohesive, everything connects very well and especially at the end you get that "Ohhh" feeling, unlike most horror franchises that I love it doesn't contradict itself or leave out important plot points. I'll definitely watch this when it comes out.

13. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

The only problem is that by now the plot is so convoluted that I start to forget what half the sequels were even about. I'm having that same issue with the Harry Potter movies.

14. dolemite

dolemite New Member

Saw 6

Caught midnight show of Saw 6 last night at the Alamo Drafthouse hosted by Fango.
    Thought it was a bit weak. Course, not the biggest Saw fan. Nice seeing Betsy Russell's part was bigger this go round.
    Had an odd, pro-Health Care message in between the carnage. At one point, Tobin Bell damn near broke the fourth wall to talk to the audience when he said Insurance Co. run everything.
    Now, I'm not a secret Republican and I like it when Horror movies have a little subtext but this was damn near text.

15. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I think this broke the even numbered curse that was on the franchise (2 and 4 are easily the weekest of the series) and pretty much kept going where 5 left off, with a few surprises thrown in for good measure.
    It was getting a bit preachy for a bit there, but if anyone deserves to play Jigsaw's game, it's insurance CEO's!

It almost felt a bit dumbed down though. I think after the intentionaly impossible to follow timeline of 4, and the not so easy to decipher part 5 they felt it had to spoon-feed the retards in the crowd. So if the series waa confusing you, this will clear it up. At least one or 2 WTF flashbacks. While I enjoy these for making the story deeper, they almost feel like they cheapen the previous films. This seems like super-fucking-important info here, why not share it the first time, or 2nd, or 3rd or 4th at least?

I'm sure if I started looking I could find plot holes, but I won't because I like the series too damn much and this new offering is almost as good as the last, which I thought was the best.

16. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I have seen the first 5 in theatres but every year my interest in it decreases. I guess I will eventually get around to seeing it. Compared to all great Movies that have come out this year I can't help but think it's been played out and enough is enough.

17. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I guess you can call me a fan of the series. i didn't even watch them until V was nearly done with its theatrical run. I think the first film was somewhat admirable, but its structure was not that impressive and the MTV-styled editing brought absolutely nothing to the film, only a distraction. The movie worked best during its quiet moments as the two men were faced with their dilemma. The flashback stuff added background story, but I felt it wasn't necessary to see it.

That being said, the potential of the first film's quiet-to-increasingly-noisy-grand-guignol-waiting-godot was laid to waste with all the unnecessary elements. The unnecessary elements are what drove the sequels, at which the structure and formula had been more polished and the style started to fit. So as a series, it started to work as a whole. Still, part 1 stands out as a sore thumb as a potential experimental hit.

Oh well, thanks to conventions and a cash driven market, we have a series in which the sequels have a better idea of what the material is worth than the first. Of course if the first was done right, there would be no sequels.

Dilemma.

Anyway, will be seeing part VI this weekend. i.e. Top-shelf-middlebrow-more-of-the-same. I'm content with that.

18. rhett

rhett Administrator

Yeah, the first is sort of like FRIDAY THE 13TH in the way that it was uber-derivative (be it HALLOWEEN or SE7EN) but created an interesting locale (secluded, trap ridden rooms or an idyllic campground) and an interesting and untapped villain (Jigsaw or Jason) that could expanded and, as you say, polished, for the sequels.

The second is so trashy, gory and over-the-top you sort of admire how it appeals to the lowest common denominator. The third was bogged way too much in tying up loose ends for me. It was with this latter trilogy, 4, 5 and 6 that for me the series really found its footing (I guess like FRIDAY 2, 3 and 4) by pushing Jigsaw to the forefront and exploring his past. Six looks, feels and plays out just like all the other films, so the director is really irrelevant in this assembly line. I credit the enduring appeal of the series to the 4th film jolt the FEAST guys gave to the film when they took over the writing reins. They're the auteurs of the series, for me.

As for how the sixth film stacks up, it's not as inventive or as enjoyably retrospective and convoluted as 4 & 5, but still delivers the goods of some nasty moral dilemmas, wicked gore and most importantly, Tobin back story. Looking back again opened up a few great revisions to the events of previous films to make everything seem all the more clear. Considering how much 4 & 5 worked to setup elements for further sequels I'm actually quite surprised how self-contained this narrative is. By the end there really aren't many extraneous questions left. There's a few
    (where the fuck is Cary Elwes?)
    but other than a few finishing tweaks this could easily have wrapped the series up, and at the time they were making this that was certainly the intent. I'm glad we're at least getting a seventh, though. There's no other horror tradition I look forward to more these days than seeing SAW every weekend before Halloween.

Hopefully that trend continues, though. The audience, at least in my theater, definitely suffered a major hemorrhage this year compared to the consistency of all the others. My theater is the busiest in the city and it was the 8:00PM show and it wasn't even half full. Before I blame it on dwindling interest though, I'd probably peg it more on a crowded horror market place, especially with the surging word of mouth and expansion of PARANORMAL ACTIVITY. HALLOWEEN 2 got hit pretty hard when it went up against THE FINAL DESTINATION, I'm wondering if that will be the case this weekend. I don't think it will be as severe a gap as those two, but I no doubt expect SAW to take a sizable hit.

Regardless of the box office, this is a series that still amazingly has life in its sixth kick and I'm already waiting for more. If I had to rank them at this point:

4, 5, 2, 6, 3, 1

Tobin's health-care rant was indeed awesome. Hopefully he tackles the stock market for round seven!

19. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

Saw it today. Disgusting, eye-rolling and putrid. I get that the series is about people being ensnared in deadly traps and have to make decisions based on ripping limbs off to save themselves or kill someone else to do it. But it's just more of the same, it tries to be "smart" and complex but it ended up confusing me (especially
    the last bit of flashback scenes coupled with Costas Mandylor trying to get his head out of the headtrap and barely succeeding).

It almost had me rethinking my stance on Halloween 2 as the worst horror film of the year. Almost, but not quite. Fans of the franchise will eat it up, but count me out.

20. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I don't know what to think about this one. Came back a little while ago. It is what it is, a Saw movie. This time add the politics and a bit of back story that makes Jigsaw a lot less complex and more human, which for me is pretty much close to the end for me. I don't see much momentum from here on end, but I did enjoy it nonetheless.