SCALPS-1983 fred olen ray

Discussion in 'General' started by speanroc, May 23, 2006.

1. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

this is the official SCALPS appreciation thread......
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086248/

top 3 of mine all time...................
    i know it's rough around the edges and the editing is choppy , but the premise, plot and cheeeeeeeeese factor is great

any opinions?

2. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I bought the Scalps DVD and got rid of it soon after. Dunno what it was that I didn't like the most but it's low budget seemed to work against it more than help it to me.

3. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I always thought it had one of the nastiest throat cut scenes in horror.

4. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

I dunno...It's low budget, for sure...but, something about it creeps me out. I like it well enough...I think it's definitely one of my favorite Fred Olen Ray movies.

5. killnstalk

killnstalk Guest

this is a fun slasher film.

6. Shokk

Shokk Lord Of The Thighs

Entertaining but inept.I'll pop it in every so often...the neck slice as mentioned earlier was excellent though.

7. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i thought it was kinda cool great to have on dvd with alien dead watch it back to back with it

8. reddye5

reddye5 Member

Every year for my birthday when I was a kid I would make my friends watch the double feature of "Scalps" and "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes".

They hated me for it, especially the third year in a row. I don't know what it was, I really was hooked on that flick. It was on that VHS as a double Feature with The Slayer. The good ol' days!

We used to make so much fun of it, but the scalping scene always brought uneasy silence.

But the cheese outweighs the effective.
    The fact that the arrows in the chicks back were jiggling all over the place and obviously taped on.

The fact that the Indian wears jeans. What's that all about? He should be wearing traditional Indian garb, not Jordache Jeans. We swore he was wearing Tuff Skins

The most unconvincingly painful death scene ever; keywords "Oh, dear God" My penis can act better than that old man. It's awful, but totally hilarious.

I have the dvd. Crap transfer; inconsistant. The VHS was better back in the day. Hard to believe they couldn't find one uncut print. Maybe they will someday. Cheesy movie, but I love it!

Now, that I have both Scalps and Attack of the Killer Tomatoes on dvd, maybe I should initiate my new friends into the longest three and a half hours of their lives. My birthday is coming up:evil:

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  9. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

Indeed one my favorites. I have a couple one sheets for it autographed by Fred,Carroll Borland,Forry and others. Even have a couple lobby cards Fred gave me. He keeps promising to get me a cassette of the soundtrack which he says he has the mastertapes of but I'm still waiting.
    I just love the film. For a film made for around $9,000 to $15,000 it is fun and entertaining. Gory,droning synth soundtrack,16mm filming,gloomy atmosphere. I'll always keep watching this film.

10. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

i thought this movie was painfully boring.

11. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

I LOVE Scalps! I first saw it on video in the mid-80s and was blown away by the scalping scene. I picked it up on DVD last summer and it was even more fun than I remembered. I turned the commentary on during certain scenes and that was very entertaining as well. Great summer flick!

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

This is one movie that's bad for various reasons, yet still enjoyable in a crappy cheesy way. The DVD audio commentary by Fred Olen Ray is an informative gem as always!

13. gore

gore Guest

I have this and was kinda bored with it. For some reason I remember the creepy score going on forever in places that didnt need it at all, and showing a good gore scene that takes place later in the opening minutes. Been a while since I viewed this, maybe I will give it another shot.

14. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I really like this movie despite it's cheapness.

15. FilmFiend

FilmFiend New Member

I first saw Scalps on TV in the 80's. It was played on some Elvira- knockoff show called Moana's Place.

I have loved Scalps ever since it was television. I rented the VHS a few times during the 80's also. I just bought the DVD a few months ago.

16. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

Hey Film Fiend. You remember Moana's Place,too. I also saw it on there. I also at the time had the Slayer/Scalps Continental Video. Hard to believe Kim(Moana)Norris is now Jim Petro's spokeswoman/assistant. I tried to talk to her about an interview about the horror hosts days and she wouldn't even take the call. Funny how some people get full of themselves.

17. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

It was crap.Just like the Oscars.

18. betterdan

betterdan Guest

The Oscars were indeed dookey but Scalps changed my life.

19. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I really enjoyed SCALPS...I saw it for the very first time in 2005...even though I've had the one-sheet poster since 1988. I really love that retro-ish trailer on the DVD...that narrator was my favorite of them all. I love his voice.

20. Xtro_13

Xtro_13 Guest

I too, purchased "Scalps", and it was by far one of the worse purchases I've ever made. I can't even give it away