Scary Stories To Tell in the Dark - Project

Discussion in 'General' started by baggio, Dec 5, 2013.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

2. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Cool! I remember those! Old school :D The art was really great too. It would be a cool animated series in that same style.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Super Bowl TV spots have hit the net:

In theaters August 9th.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  4. CPT HOOK

Teaser trailer:

5. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Those creatures look legitimately frightening. Hope the script does 'em justice.

6. CPT HOOK

I went to see Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark today and thought it was pretty solid! Maybe one of the more gruesome kid-friendly horror films I've seen, in fact I'm a little surprised they got away with the PG-13 rating.

The first half is GREAT! Most likely even the best Halloween-centric horror we'll get this year. August might be premature for a Halloween offering, but I ain't complaining. The plot is similar to the Goosebumps movie, but instead of being condescending kid's fare, this is more filtered through something like Lady In White or Sometimes They Come Back. For the first half in particular, I'd even say Trick 'r Treat. So much fun!

As for the second half, it loses some of the steam and charm, but it's still fairly good. They dive so heavy into the plot that they lose a lot of the fun character stuff that the first half had. It also goes on longer than it needs to, but for the most part I thought they did a really great job with this.

Highly recommended! I wonder if the premature release date is to get it on disc before Halloween? This is definitely one of those midwestern autumn horror films I'll be revisiting for many Octobers to come.

fceurich39 and Myron Breck like this.
  7. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I didn't care for this one. Found it rather boring. The idea was fine and the effects were good but it just seemed like something was missing.

As for the rating I didn't think it was anything beyond it's PG-13 territory. There were some kills but they were basically bloodless. I enjoyed some of the creatures and the spider scene was done well. You could do worse but I found Crawl to be much more horrific.

8. CPT HOOK

Crawl is an R-rated movie, so it should be more horrific.

As a horror movie for kids based on a children's novel (albeit an incredibly macabre children's novel), I definitely thought they took it pretty far. Which was refreshing, because lots of kids horror fare these days are too sheepish to attempt a scare or be grotesque (the Goosebumps movies, House With A Clock In It's Walls, Creeped Out, The Haunting Hour, etc). I appreciated that it didn't dumb itself down for kids, and even by regular standards I thought it got pretty gross. Especially "The Big Toe" segment. It reminded me of the family fare of the '80s and '90s that wasn't afraid to push it's rating a little bit.

chancetx likes this.
  9. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it but I guess because of the title I was expecting an anthology. I liked that they spent time developing the characters and setting up the story although the lack of resolution for some of the characters was frustrating. And the period setting never felt very authentic. If not for the frequent references to 1968 it could have been the 50s, the 70s, or the 80s.

And I had a very hard time believing young teens would be able to quote Night of the Living Dead as if having seen it multiple times when, in the film's timeline, it had only been in release for less than a month.

The ending felt like they were setting up a weekly TV series. Since it's from CBS Films is there a chance they plan to spin it off to a network or CBS All-Access series?

Katatonia likes this.
  10. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I just saw this last night. It was quite enjoyable. The worst thing about it really is that that's all I really have to say. Everything was just pretty well done. Characters were enjoyable and unique enough to be interesting. The creature design was impressive enough. The plot was serviceable. It was just a nice, well-crafted little bit of scary storytelling. Nothing special. But certainly nothing terrible.

The one note I have is that Del Toro definitely remains one of the best directors/producers for working with young actors and creating really good young characters. It's one of the areas where he really excels that just doesn't seem to get enough attention.

chancetx likes this.
  11. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I thought this was fun enough. The first act was definitely the best. Halloween 1968 suburban Pennsylvania.....it was an early Halloween treat for sure. I would recommend checking out while it's still in theaters.

12. CPT HOOK

View attachment 9697

I wish they would bump the disc date up one week so we could have it in time for Halloween. Bummer.

13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Just download the digital for Halloween. Then buy it when it comes out on disc. I definitely plan on watching this in October if I can.

Steel76 likes this.
  14. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I saw it theatrically and found it to be good fun. While I might have preferred a straight anthology I thought it was well acted and produced. The lead girl was especially good.

15. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Saw this one last night. Overall I didn't love it. Like others have said, the first half was decent but it kind of falls apart and becomes boring by the end. I think this could have been way better if they made it an anthology movie. Some of the stuff in here was pretty disturbing for a kid orientated horror and I love most of the monster designs. Shame they tried to make a full movie out of all these stories though.