SchoolGirls in Chains any good?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by CrazyFatEthel, Jan 24, 2009.

1. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

:I'm thinking about picking up a copy of this, but is it at all descent?:confused:

2. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

Well there are three audio commentaries!

3. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

I mean the actual movie. Is it god awful or is it just ok?

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Hell yeah!!!

(oh wait, you're talking about some MOVIE. Never mind....)

5. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

6. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

7. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I just got it 2 days ago because it's CodeRed and it's 70's sleaze :D

Haven't watched it yet though. I'm sure it has some entertainment value.

8. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Well I'm pickin up a copy of it next week, along with Madhouse, is that one any good?

9. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I got Madhouse in the same shipment :)

Yeah, it's pretty good. It's got that old early 80's slasher charm. It's kind of a slightly watered down rendition of Happy Birthday to Me.

10. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Well I love Happy Birthday, so...good!!!!:banana:

11. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Madhouse is a mixed bag, I wanted to like it better, because the tag line is nifty (Julia thinks she lives alone... She doesn't!), and Trish Everly, the lead, is eminently watchable. Also, I like the idea of the grotesquely disfigured twin... The downside is that some of the acting is so bad you'd think the movie was Italian. Oh wait, it is Italian. The uncle in particular got on my nerves.

I have the awful R2 dvd where you can't make out the dialogue, but I'm not sure I like the movie enough to upgrade.

12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I ordered a cheap DVD of this from GoHastings a few days ago, and I'm eagerly awaiting it's arrival. I saw the trailer on one of the Shriek Show releases recently (I want to say Faceless? Can't remember), and it looks like the kind of fun sleaze you'd read about in Nightmare USA. In fact, it's probably in there, as I'm pretty sure there's a chapter on Don Jones (The Forest, The Love Butcher).

Glad to see there's a thread for this, but looks like no one here had seen it yet at the time. But given that was over 5 years ago, I'm hoping that's changed. So, what's the consensus? Good, bad, otherwise?

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I bought the DVD about 4 years ago. The film itself is average at best, sometimes downright boring, but strangely watchable. It's surprising that it received a feature packed edition. But then again, the disc has a commentary by a rapper. :lol:

14. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I bought this a few years ago myself and haven't even bothered watching it yet. The curse of being a collector.

15. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I finally watched this last night and really enjoyed it. I'd say it's easily the best Don Jones film I've seen, which admittedly would only include The Forest and The Love Butcher.

The movie itself is fairly basic, pretty much the same as Junior or Mother's Day. Also gave me a bit of a The Unseen vibe.

I'd even say it reminded me of The Centerfold Girls because it sort of has a three part anthology structure. By that, I mean each third of the movie focuses specifically on one of the victims. The middle segment was a bit sluggish, but the first and final segments were effectively depraved. That game of "leap frog"... you don't know whether to laugh or scream!

I think some of my favorite exploitation films are ones that are maybe just a little bit dark and sleazy, but also have a bizarre quaint wholesomeness to them (Spider Baby and Motel Hell would be strong examples). That's something Girls In Chains does extremely well. The whole concept of women being held captive is disturbing, as is the fairly graphic rape scene, but it's contrasted against this very lite child-like soundtrack, with shots of porcelain dolls and John's childlike behavior. I think a lot of these '70s exploitation films have that strange quaint feeling about them, and that's what makes them so endearing. As opposed to now, where exploitation films are generally people being tortured for 90 minutes in cold cement dungeons set to heavy metal music.

I'm pretty sure the DVD is OOP, even though prices are still fairly low. I'm glad I was able to snatch up a copy now for dirt cheap instead of discovering it further down the line. The odds of a blu-ray seem pretty unlikely, since the DVD mentions that the film elements deteriorated after 2006. So even though it's not a great looking DVD, it's likely the best we're going to get. The interviews are great too, even though Gary Kent is barely audible.