Schrader's Cut Exorcised from DVD

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Dec 9, 2004.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

The specs for the upcoming DVD of the troubled Exorcist: The Beginning have been announced. What is notable about this disc is not what is included, but what isn't being included. Paul Schrader, the director of the great Cat People and Hardcore, had originally created The Beginning as a cerebral and subtle meditation on faith and horror. Morgan Creek disliked the footage, deeming it not commercial enough, and reshot the film with hack-for-hire Renny Harlin. So essentially, two versions of the film exist, and it was much rumored that both would see release once it came time for DVD. Unfortunately, DVD Answers is reporting that the March 1 release of Exorcist: The Beginning will not feature the Schrader cut. Instead, it will be a relatively bare release, with the following features:

• 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen
    • Dolby Digital 5.1
    • Commentary by Renny Harlin
    • Making-of featurette
    • Theatrical trailer

Retail on the disc will be a moderately high $27.95. Those lamenting the exclusion of the Schrader cut may find solace in knowing that there are plans to release the Schrader cut theatrically sometime in 2005, according to Fangoria.

Attached Files:

2. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

That's weak - they're most likely hoping to squeeze as much out of that cow as they can. That, or they're afraid people will prefer the Schrader cut over the one they put their faith in.

3. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

I hope so, but somehow I get the feeling that Warner is going to let this version gather dust in their vaults. :(

4. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Something's up. Why did it take so long to get this a release date? They're flip flopping and it sucks.

5. vette163

vette163 Guest

I'm sure their reasoning is that the general public are less likely to purchase a film that requires thought while viewing it.

6. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

or maybe it's that both versions suck Regan's fetid asshole? :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  7. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

This Movie Needs To Be Terminated

8. I'm confident Schrader's version will hit DVD...or maybe even theatres if they market it right (remember House of 1K's trailer's..."The movie some didn't want U 2 C, isn't being released, its being unleashed!")

9. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

10. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

What the fuck?

1st the idiot studio heads hated teh film so much that they actualy hired som worthless hack to re shoot the whole thing, which I belive was never done before and it of course bombs.

Now they are going to release the version they hated in theaters no less!

Crazy!

11. rhett

rhett Administrator

Two ways to mine the same well.

12. MrVess

MrVess Guest

Fun scenario #37: Schrader's Beginning flops - not because it's bad (it's as far from being bad as possible), but because of the terrible Harlin odium; Warners are angry; Warners bring Renny Harlin, again, to reshoot Schrader's version, again.

To avoid carrying the Harlin stench, the Warners should rename Schrader's film. Preferably, simply restore the title "Exorcist: Dominion", or "The Exorcist 4.1".

But instead they'll probably hire WS Anderson and Uwe Boll to shoot a sequel to the prequel - "The Exorcist versus The Omen".

But so far, here is to the true prequel... :)

http://img115.exs.cx/img115/5337/apaulschraderpicture.png

13. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

I'm glad I'm on the horror dvd forums. I can say what I feel. Fuck those stupid greedy, evil-hosting-fucksticks

Oh, and their mother's might not suck cocks in hell, but the daughters of the warner execs probably do right now... :p

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2004
  14. MrKateB

Hee HEEEEEEEEE Napalm!

15. hatetank

hatetank Guest

After all I might just add that probably both version are shite...

16. MartinD1

MartinD1 Guest

These days it's better to live pretending, pretending these kind of movies were never made. Stick to the original and forget the rest.

17. patmcgahern

patmcgahern Guest

Since when was Renny Harlin a hack for hire?
    Had he not taken the job, who knows it may of been Uwe Boll or Paul WS Anderson who replaced Schrader, although some of you would love that prospect I'm sure, but luckily an accomplished director stepped in.

18. MrVess

MrVess Guest

Since when was Renny Harlin a hack

Yes, I too agree that calling Harlin a hack is paying him too much of an undeserved compliment.

19. This is total bullshit. Why not just release both and let the public decide which they like better? Oh no, Warner couldn't do that, could they?..............

20. MrKateB

Of COURSE they'll release both. Eventually...after they've sold enough copies of the one to make them happy, they'll put out a super duper nice deluxe disc, with both versions on it, and it will come packaged in a Ouija board shaped box with a little Regan McNeil beanie baby.