Scorpion Releasing Goes Blu-Ray!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Shawn Francis, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Swampthing82

Swampthing82 Active Member

Ah, it is Code Red. That’s cool. I’ll probably snag it sometime here.

2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

What I'm saying is why was Diabolik sitting on the product for months and months in the first place? It was oop, and people were getting gouged on the second market trying to find a copy. Meanwhile Diabolik had copies. How many copies do they even have? The print run was 1000. The title is not necessarily a "hot ticket". So even if they just have 50 copies, that's 50 people that didn't have to pay crazy prices on ebay or wherever. And Diabolik doesn't have the product up for sale yet. So when they do, we will see how much they charge.

Also its' confusing on what Walt is saying. First he's saying it's illegal to sell his product. Then he says it's ok, but only if you sell it for a reasonable price. And worrying about his reputation. has he called all the ebay sellers and told them it's illegal to sell his product for double/triple the price? It's on Amazon right now , buy a third party seller. Selling for triple the price. Is he going to sue them?

FYE, I have a copy, bought when it first released. So I'm not talking about me getting gouged.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Katatonia likes this.
  3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I don't know why they waited, but yeah... Diabolik really doesn't gouge customers with outrageous prices on rare/OOP items. They hooked me up with a couple of copies of two OOP titles a few months ago, and sold them to me for a fraction of the ebay/amazon marketplace going prices.

baggio likes this.
  4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Yeah, for the most part their stuff is reasonable. But what's interesting is that most of their older Scorpion/Kino titles are higher than what you can get everywhere else. Heck if you wait for sale you can pick titles up for half the price of what Diabolik is selling them for. Is Walt going to sue them too? ;)

Katatonia likes this.
  5. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

The remaining stock already came and went, having sold out in 10 minutes from what I've read. The price was $26, I believe.

6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Oh. Didn't see the listing. Very odd. They always keep listings even if it's sold out. Somebody on facebook said $27.99. Glad I picked up my copy when I did.

7. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

It appears to have been a "blink and you'll miss it" opportunity. For the record, I blinked.

Walt mentioned, at the request for a repressing, that someone else has gotten the rights. Another release will likely be forthcoming, and I'm curious to see where the eventual announcement comes from.

8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I'm surprised it has a following. Enough for someone else to want the rights. None the less, I'm glad it made it Blu.

9. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Even being a kid of the era loved them at the time (low-brow humor and boobs), I just don't care all that much for 80's sex comedies. I almost pulled the trigger a few times on Joysticks at the tail end of its availability, but that was just the collector in me and I clamped down pretty hard on the urge every time.

10. Katatonia

I received it earlier today from Ronin, and the new transfer looks a lot better than the old release as far as black levels and visible detail. The different framing and color grading are also more pleasant viewing IMO.

Has anyone listed to the over audio commentary that's ported over from the UK Blu-ray release yet?

gobad2003 and satans-sadists like this.
  11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

My package has been stuck in customs all week. It made it to Canada in literally 2 days and for the past 5 it's sat in customs about 25 mins away from my house.

Talk about infuriating. I was supposed to get it Monday and now it looks like I won't even get it in time for this weekend.

EDIT: So I called Canada Border Services Agency and they said the package hasn't been sent to them (my tracking just says "sent for further processing" which usually means customs) but the woman on the phone said that Canada Post is actually backlogged by 8-12 days so that's why packages are getting delayed.

After going on strike over Christmas and causing a massive backlog where nobody got their Christmas gifts in time, I'm really getting sick of Canada Post's bullshit. Delayed by 8-12 days? What the fuck kind of a service is that?

~Matt

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  12. Scorpion

Scorpion Active Member

I never said it's illegal for eBay people to sell it . it's a second hand market so if they bought it they have the right to sell it I just said it's not right for a store or vendor that I never gave them the authority to sell the item nor have I ever even sold the item to them to begin with, especially after my sell off period has ended. diabolik bought these before the sell off period ended which is why it's okay for them to do what they want with it and I'm glad that they listen to my request to not to sell it for more than the retail price. Hope this makes sense

baggio, russweiss and othervoice1 like this.
  13. Swampthing82

I watched Grizzly last night. I really enjoyed it and thought it looked great (although this is the first time I’ve seen the film). I watched all the special features as well. This was a very well done release by Scorpion. Recommended!

Mutilated Prey likes this.
  14. Scorpion

Scorpion Active Member

Thank you, I do hope you bought the remastered Edition and not the old one cuz I really wasn't happy with how the old hdmaster was

15. Swampthing82

I absolutely did. It looks really great in my opinion too. Thanks again for a outstanding release!

16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I also watched Grizzly over the weekend. It’s been on my to-watch list for a while.

Entertaining little film. And they really did a great job with this blu-ray. Great-looking transfer.

~Matt

17. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

William Girdler seemed to be an interesting and relatable guy from the quotes I’ve read of his on his imdb page. It’s truly a shame that he died so young because I really do think that his best work was ahead of him. I bet he would have made a big name for himself by the 90s.

Erick H. likes this.
  18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

19. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Worth mentioning, this release has been pulled due to audio sync issues. Hopefully Scorpion will issue a replacement this time, as they have refused to do so in the past. I just got mine the other day with Murder Rock. :(

You've really got to be careful ordering these Code Red / Scorpion titles right away.

hots4, russweiss, Kim Bruun and 2 others like this.
  20. Katatonia

...and there is going to be a replacement disc issued for Tower of Evil Blu-ray:

chancetx, f.ramses, gobad2003 and 5 others like this.