Scorpion Releasing Goes Blu-Ray!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Shawn Francis, Jul 20, 2012.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

gobad2003, chancetx and Katatonia like this.
  2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

4. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

5. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Wrote this up the other day at my Cinema Arcana FB page:

Eclectic label Scorpion Releasing have recently begun issuing a line of Blu-Ray exclusives hand-picked from the MGM vaults, running the gamut from low-budget monster movies to overlooked actioners, from drive-in favorites to VHS obscurities. With a few titles already released and several more already announced—new millennium slasher fave SHREDDER (2003), Fred Olen Ray’s gory alien epic DEEP SPACE (1988) and Alfonso Brescia’s sword and sorcery Eurotrasher IRON WARRIOR (1987) amongst them—Scorpion still have quite a few more films currently being prepped from the deal.

One such title is Bob Kelljan’s notorious ACT OF VENGEANCE (aka Rape Squad, 1974), an American International Pictures release whose non-PC plotline ensured its place in the exploitation history books. A group of women, all violated by a hockey-masked psycho who forces them to sing Jingle Bells during his assaults, band together to wipe sexist scum off the street and eventually track down their attacker for some well-deserved revenge. It’s the kind of movie that mixes feminist politicking with hot tub scenes, but any picture where a gang of girls learn kung fu to beat the hell out of sleazy dudes is a-okay by me.

Other acquisitions include Bill Brame’s biker flick THE CYCLE SAVAGES (1969), where Bruce Dern goes over-the-edge after finding out an artist sketched his girlfriend in the buff; John D. Hancock’s beach bum drama CALIFORNIA DREAMING (1979) with Dennis Christopher; Gideon Amir’s ‘Namsploitation stuntfest P.O.W.: THE ESCAPE (aka Behind Enemy Lines, 1986), featuring David Carradine fighting the ‘Cong with roundhouse kicks as he attempts to save prisoners of war; and Eric Karson’s OPPOSING FORCE (aka Hell Camp, 1986), which details the travails of a military training group who find their supposedly-staged scenario is much more real than they thought.

As with the existing Scorpion Blus from this deal, the titles will be coming exclusively to Ronin Flix and DiabolikDVD.com when they’re available. Watch this space for more news!

© Bruce Holecheck, 2019

[​IMG]

russweiss likes this.
  6. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

[​IMG]
    https://www.facebook.com/scorpionreleasinginfo/photos/a.126168180875975/1159666637526119

https://www.facebook.com/theroninflix/photos/a.1460259150653707/2411013485578264/?type=3&permPage=1

7. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I am so in!

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

For a second I thought Too Scared To Scream was Appointment With Fear... then I looked at the cast!

Never seen it, looking forward to it!

9. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Is Tower of Evil any good? The images I've seen look quite visceral and creepy but this is coming from someone who recently watched Asylum and Horror Express and didn't really care for either.

10. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

If you didn't dig either of those, I doubt Tower of Evil will do much for you. It gets off to a great start, and there are some very atmospheric sequences. But it's as talky as most British horror films from that period--with an extremely unintimidating villain. Have you seen Pete Walker's Flesh and Blood Show? They're totally divergent in plot, but similar in mood, pace, and execution.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

To me Tower of Evil is quite a good film. I feel the same is true of Horror Express so I don't know if you'll like it or not. I enjoy British/European films from the 60's and 70's and for me Tower of Evil is among the better.

12. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I like all three but they’re each very different movies from each other. The only one out of the three that I deemed worthy enough to upgrade to blu ray (twice now) is Horror Express. Tower of Evil is an interesting novelty for being a proto slasher. It has the sex and the body count but it’s very obviously stage bound like most horror films from the 60s were.

13. Zombie Dude

Thanks for the replies guys. I ended seeing it was on YouTube and skimmed through it there. Not sure it's my cup of tea like a lot of these types from the 70's. They do feel very stage bound which I think is a big part of why I don't care for them much.

14. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Shame I blind purchased the UK edition and was pleasantly surprised from the wonderfully atmospheric smoke film title sequence to the surprisingly gore filed set pieces I had a lot of fun with this.

15. Zombie Dude

Did you enjoy those other 70's horror I mentioned? I can't seem to get into these Hammer Horror type films. I do enjoy a good 70's horror film but those just aren't for me. I may still sit down and watch Tower of Evil on YouTube at some point.

16. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Horror express I couldn't get into, watched about 40 mins before turning off.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  17. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

There's a minor debate on another forum about whether or not Too Scared To Scream is slasher film. Is it?

18. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Absolutely it is.

19. Zombie Dude

I'd say I watched close to the same amount before doing the same :p

20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Coming soon, the Blu-Ray releases of “MOM” from 1991, and “MOON IN SCORPIO” from 1987. Both Blu’s will feature brand new closed-captions, and “MOM” will feature an audio commentary with the director Patrick Rand. Here are our tentative front covers (waiting for approval), so please keep an eye on this Facebook page and Ronin's Facebook page for more information.

[​IMG][​IMG]

baggio and Katatonia like this.