Scream 4, Anyone? [Bluray Details Update]

Discussion in 'General' started by It's me Billy, Oct 2, 2007.

1. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I have mixed feelings about this one. I'd say it's on par with the first two sequels but not any better. They all mix good moments liberally with bad.

I did get some nostalgic pleasure from seeing this group on-screen again. And Craven is definitely on his game. The staging of most of the murders is clever if not original. And he manages to build palpable tension around some of them.

But I was really underwhelmed with the new cast. For me, the main appeal of the original lies in the lovingly drawn and endearingly played characters (although I'm also allergic to Lillard). This new bunch is dull on paper and undistinguished on the screen. None of them have enough personality to rise above the types they're meant to represent. That hurt the movie for me since I never cared who lived or died.

I also think the screenplay was seriously lacking. It spews nonstop self-aware commentary--but it lacked the snappy dialogue that elevated it beyond a gimmick in the original. By the end reveal I was pretty tired of the relentless self-consciousness. The fact that most of the jokes fall completely flat doesn't help either (especially the opening, which I found completely uninspired).

I'd only recommend this to existing fans of the series. If you didn't like the first 3 stay far, far away.

And here's one final random thought. Is anyone else really struck by how well the Scream franchise documents Courtney Cox's decline? I thought she looked bad in 3. But in 4 she's almost as scary-looking as Barbara Hershey.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Ouch, a few of you guys are really harsh on Courtney. Heaven forbid somebody on camera actually makes the mistake of looking their age.

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Saw this today. Started off kind of annoying with it's "i'm so clever" unnatural "Gilmore girls" type dialog but picked up in the second half. Not bad overall probably the second best in the series.

4. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I strongly prefer people choosing to look their ages. There's no shame in looking old. It beats the hell out of looking unnatural. I'm 100% sure Cox would look better if she didn't visit the plastic surgeon.

5. nightmare5fan

nightmare5fan Member

Loved it! Yes, Cox looks like she had too many surgeries but her character is lovable and I felt she was a tad underused. Great sequel and a nice twist on the killer identity. If they do more sequels like these they'll eventually make part 3 the equivalent of Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare in overall awfulness, hehe. If you plan to see it avoid the internet since a lot of a**holes are giving away the killer's identity already.

6. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

I went in with really low expectations but was surprised to find I enjoyed the heck out of it. My only quibble is minor (two jokes that fell really flat. I normally wouldn't mind but they were during otherwise cool scenes that didn't need it).

Craven is really hit and miss but he scored with this one IMO. Hopefully the box office will be kind this weekend.

7. maybrick

I already know that my estimate in the other thread was high. 8 Million on Friday? It would've had to do twice that to have any chance of making 45 million over the weekend. It no doubt would have if they decided to make it 3-D (because of higher ticket prices).

8. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Looks like it's on a pace for low $20-something million this weekend. According to Box Office Mojo, Scream 3 made $34 million its first weekend and that was with ticket prices of ten years ago. I don't know what this one would have to make during its run to greenlight a sequel but Friday's take isn't a good sign.

9. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Member

This is my review from my website:

"Murders reemerge in Woodsboro upon the return of Sidney Prescott, and once again everyone’s a suspect. Does nothing original to the genre or this series, but pretends it’s clever by using the remake craze as an excuse to rip off its own franchise. There’s plenty of violence, but the characters and outcome are hollow."

As you can see, I wasn't too crazy about it.

And I really hope this doesn't seem like spam (it's not), but here's the link to the review and my site: http://splattercritic.com/2011/04/scream-4/

10. Sam

Sam Member

I've been hesitant to see it but just might give it a go now after the comments. Plus, it's always nice to see horror movies on the big screen with a crowd.

11. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

People were buzzing excitedly about the film as they were walking out, so I think Scream 4 will have a solid multiple. It's imperative that the word of mouth is good, if TWC/Dimension hopes to make a fifth film.

I can understand the criticism hurled at the film -- like the ending or the younger actors' work. Some of it (like regurgitating certain aspects of the first film) is the exact point of the film -- it's a psuedo remake/sequel. Poking fun at remakes/reboots is the point.

12. DanceEnergy24

DanceEnergy24 New Member

Hey guys. I haven't seen this yet but I'm really looking forward to it. Does anyone know how the MPAA treated this one? Did Craven have to cut anything for the R rating? I know Scream 2 (and I believe 3) got an R rating the first time out. Craven had a huge battle with the MPAA over part 1. I have the Japanese DVD for that one as I hate Scream 1 in its R-rated version!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  13. DanceEnergy24

DanceEnergy24 New Member

Sorry. This was a double post.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  14. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Liked the opening and liked the ending. It was a bit uneven through the middle...but it retains the look and feel of the original and I was happy to see DP Peter Deming back on board to allow for that kind of visual continuity.

No problem with Cox's looks in this one. It was Hayden Panettiere who was looking far from her best with that awful hair and conservative clothing. Emma Roberts is pretty damn stunning and I loved her performance in this.

All in all, I do think it's the best sequel...but it's not as entertaining as I'd hoped.

15. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

I haven't heard any MPAA woes with Scream 4. There was nothing in the film that veered in NC-17 territory for them.

16. maybrick

Theater attendance is down across the board so that factor alone is no longer the driving force behind whether or not a movie gets a sequel. It's more important today for a film to do well on dvd/blu-ray. If worse comes to worse the next one will go straight to video, which when you think about it would only give them something else to play off: how DTV sequels are always inferior.

17. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I'm kind of surprised it didn't do better over the weekend. I saw it with a packed house in NYC and the crowd LOVED it. Applauded for every 'old' cast member, applauded at the end, laughed and screamed at all the right places. It was a great experience.

In my opinion, the film was awesome! Like Scream 3, it's more comedy than an actual 'scary movie', but the dialogue is great, the twists were fun, and the ending totally worked for me. I see a lot of people criticizing the film for being too much of a comedy, but that's obviously the film they wanted to make. I had a great time with it. Loved seeing the old cast back. Got a very nostalgic feeling out of the whole thing.

Cox's face is a wonder to behold, though. I'd go see the film if only to admire her new lips.

18. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Well, that latest Pixar wannabe is out and the 3D suckered...I mean lured the kids and families in. I hope Scream 4 has legs. I didn't see it yet.

19. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

Eh, it was serviceable. Much, much better than My Soul to Take and a fair bit better than Scream 3. Some hot girls, mildly amusing jokes, reasonably suspenseful sequences, surprisingly vicious gore... but in the end all it warrants is a big shrug. I can't say it was a disappointment because my expectations were virtually non-existent.

And, fuck me, Craven's new blurry, chlorine-o-vision aesthetic is the worst thing ever.

20. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

It's not the camera that makes her look like the devil, it's Bad Plastic Surgery.