Scream 4 Trailer is unleased

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by snowbeast323, Oct 18, 2010.

1. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

I guess I'm in the minority, anticipating this movie's release....? Oh well, the Scream movies are special to me. In 1996 it made a BIG impression on my 3 year old mine. Lmao

2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I love the SCREAM movies (especially the first one). I remember getting Cinefastique in the Autumn of 1996 and reading about this film called SCREAM that I remember actually filming north of San Francisco (months earlier but it was called something else but Wes Craven's name held my attention since I'm a huge fan). The article(s) sold me. A week before Christmas I went on opening Friday here in S.F. and watched the film with about 3 or 4 other people in this enormous THX sound theater. I left on a complete buzz/high. The whole slasher acknowledgement warmed my heart. I remember going to see it the following week in a smaller theater. The following week, the box office started to catch fire and the film expanded back to the largest house...sold out on a Sunday night. Good times.
    Anyway, I was hoping this new film wouldn't look so much like a CW production. I do hope they have hired some interesting non cookie cutter actors. I love seeing the few remaining original cast members back in the saddles again.

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I used to think this was a masterpiece, right up there with the first one. I don't think its aging well. The novelty is gone, and now its 90's is showing. I wouldn't say I dislike it, but I'd watch sequels 2 through 4 again before watching this one.

not 100% sure, but didn't he have issues with Legend, too? Was the tangerine dream score his idea, or was it forced on him?

4. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

You know what, I'm pretty pumped for this!
    I really like the series and I think that this one looks pretty good!

5. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I'd have to check. It had a more traditional score that was rejected, right? Why do I want to say he made that change?

Very few directors have final cut and even then, producers coerce and impose their will. Some just flat-out take the movie away from directors. I've even seen instances where it was in the contract and it was still was taken away...

6. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I personally can't wait for Scream 4. It will be the major cinematic event of 2011 as far as I'm concerned. It may not be cool to love the Scream movies, but those films (the first two especially) were my drug of choice back in the day. They made me fall in love with horror.

If it weren't for Scream and the fact that somebody compared the image of Drew Barrymore hanging from a tree to the opening scene of Suspiria, I probably never even would have heard of Dario Argento until much later on in my life. I literally obsessed over every reference in the first movie and made it my mission to see everything that film mentioned or was inspired by (in my defense, I was 13 at the time ...) So the Scream series is definitely close to my heart.

As for Craven, I have complete faith in him. Last time he worked with Kevin Williamson was on Cursed, which was a complete mess but a hot mess and I love it. I love the mixture of campiness and style Craven brought to that film. Plus it was simply a whole lot of fun. Like the Scream movies. And judging from this first teaser, Scream 4 will be more of the same. I wouldn't have it any other way.

(Plus, any movie that puts Sookie Stackhouse and Veronica Mars in the same movie/scene/frame is a masterpiece by default).

7. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Jerry Goldsmith wrote the original score for Legend, which was rejected and replaced with Tangerine Dream music for the US. In Europe, we got the Goldsmith score and a longer cut of the movie. In my opinion, Goldsmith's Legend score is one of his finest works and perfectly matches Ridley Scott's images.

Scott talks about this in the commentary on the Legend Ultimate Edition, and if I remember it correctly, his producers or the studio thought the film needed something more contemporary and Scott was 'fooled' into siding with them, but later regretted replacing the score. I think he said he was happy with what Tangerine Dream came up with, but that Goldsmith's music was really what the film should have featured.