Scream 4 Weekend Box Office Predictions

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Apr 11, 2011.

?

vote

1. $0 - $15m

9.4%
  2. $15m - $25m

37.5%
  3. $25m - $35m

37.5%
  4. $35m +

15.6%
  1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Release: 04/15/2011

This is how the other Scream movies did opening weekend:

Scream (1996)
    $6,354,586

Scream 2 (1997)
    $32,926,342

Scream 3 (2000)
    $34,713,342

How much will part 4 pull in?

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Probably about $45-$50 million, possibly higher.

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

based on the performance of the others, and the rising cost of tickets, i'd say it'll top part 3's take. people love a safe bet, and with scream they know exactly what they're gonna get. im guessing that it'll draw in a lot of kids. i'll probably go see it too, at a half price tuesday show.

4. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I think it will just break 40 mill

5. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

6. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I'm going with twenty-seven million dollars.

7. Bluenoser

Bluenoser New Member

$32 million

8. DanceEnergy24

DanceEnergy24 New Member

Been wanting to see this for a while now. Add ten more dollars to the opening weekend total. I'm going opening night!

9. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

I don't think Scream 4 will set an opening weekend record for the series but it'll do respectable business nonetheless. The audience for the Scream movies has probably declined, there just doesn't seem to be the same sense of hype and urgency that 2 and 3 had, but rising ticket prices will probably mitigate that somewhat.

$30-$35 is my guess. I'll be genuinely shocked if it does much more than that.

10. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

For Scream 4 to set a record for the series, it'd have to make nearly 50 million opening weekend, right? I never liked how some films got "highest gross ever", when nobody counts for inflation. :(

11. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Weekend gross: $19,279,000

12. maybrick

It's disappointing to be sure (I'm surprised the tickets sales went down on Saturday. They usually go up a little or stay about the same.) but it's funny how the numbers can be skewed. Reading the article at box office mojo they make it sound like nobody went to see Scream 4 and everybody flocked to see Rio, but when you notice that Rio had the advantage of higher ticket prices (for being in 3D), and being on 2000 more screens in 500 more locations... Rio's 40 million take over Scream's 20 million seems far less impressive. Plus, Rio didn't recoup half of it's production costs this weekend, but Scream 4 did. So who really came out of top? Depends upon your point of view, I'd wager, but one things for sure: NOBODY goes to the movies like they did 10-20 years ago.

13. rhett

rhett Administrator

A low gross and it had to have been expected. Hardly any horror film, even the big remakes or sequels, pulls in over $20m these days opening weekend. The original Scream came in when the genre was in similarly meek times to save it, now it appears we need something else to revitalize the genre with Scream 4 floundering. With 11 years between sequels, the series is too recent to be deemed classic and too far removed to even register on the radar of the teenagers that typically drive up the opening weekends of horror flicks. It's really tough to imagine the situation with horror films getting any better these days with the appeal of the cinema continuing to diminish in light of the cheap, instantaneous convenience of Netflix, torrenting and iTunes. :(

14. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i am perfectly happy if they dont make scream 5 and 6 i loved how part 4 was alot better than most people thought it would be

15. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

Ouch!

We can rationalize the weekend result all we want but on a per-screen basis, Scream 4 didn't even do as well as the poorly received Halloween II or Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning. For a formerly AAA, genre re-defining franchise, that's gotta sting. It's not a poor enough result that anybody's going to lose their shirt but I think it pretty much puts the kibosh on any further theatrical sequels.

16. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

According to IMDB this movie's budget was only around $40 million which means it will make money. When you add in video sales the film should make all involved a nice profit. Since money is what makes Hollywood go round I'd be surprised if there wasn't another sequel.

17. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Don't be so sure about that. The budget might have been $40 million, but they probably spent around $15-20 mil to promote it. That's just a normal-to-low figure. And in Hollywood, opening night is sometimes everything.

Unless Scream 4 does relatively strong business next week (like another $20 mil), it will not be considered a success. It might recoup eventually - I'm sure it will do okay business in foreign territories - but just because it makes money back is not a guarantee it will get a sequel.

The truth of today's business is that most films actually doesn't make a dime until after it's made AT LEAST twice its budget. By that time, it will have covered the ad/promotional-costs plus all the fees that theaters take, points (if any) for the cast/crew involved, etc.

And as much as I've personally enjoyed Craven's films this decade, Scream 4 looks like it will be his third big bomb in a row. Very sad :(

18. maybrick

That still seems like an exaggeration to me. Yeah, it didn't live up to the expectations of the studio, but coming in at number two for the week isn't too shabby. Bomb, yes. BIG bomb? Hardly. Not breaking into the top 5 would be a "big" bomb. It just isn't a good time for the studios. This was actually the first "up" weekend they've had in months.

19. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

From Rotten Tomatoes:

With most major holdovers dropping by less than 30%, horror fourquel Scream 4 collapsed in its second weekend tumbling by a steep 62% to an estimated $7.2M. With $31.2M in ten days, a final gross of roughly $40M seems likely for The Weinstein Co. release putting it below the much-loved fright pic Insidious which has been winning over genre fans all month

Too bad - it was a pretty solid movie and deserved a little better then this- I am curious to see Insidious at some point though

20. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Good movies are often ignored by the public. What's popular isn't always necessarily good.