Scream Factory announces The Thing

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Dave, Jun 1, 2016.

By Dave on Jun 1, 2016 at 6:38 AM
  1. Dave

Dave Pimp

Scream announced on their Facebook page that they will be releasing John Carpenter's the Thing onto a Collectors Edition Blu-ray this Fall. No details on supplements just yet but we will post them once available.

Sub-Categories: This article has no sub-categories
?

Will you be buying this bluray?

1. Undecided.

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  2. Will wait for more info/reviews.

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Yes.

22 vote(s)
    55.0%
  4. No.

5 vote(s)
    12.5%

Comments

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Dave, Jun 1, 2016.

1. ImmortalSlasher
      ImmortalSlasher
      They usually put together good packages for horror movies. I can't wait to see what they do for The Thing.
    2. othervoice1
      othervoice1
      Sorry not sure if someone else mentioned this already - but they have 1500 that are the deluxe collectors edition:

EXCLUSIVE WEBSITE-ONLY DELUXE OFFER! (Limited to 1,500 orders only)

• Receive the Collector’s Edition Blu-ray with slipcover.
      • Receive a limited-edition 18” x 24” poster of the newly designed art from Paul Shipper.
      • Receive a second slipcover -- made exclusively for this promotion and newly designed from artist Nat Marsh.
      • Receive a second 18” x 24” poster of the newly designed art from Nat Marsh.
      • Product will be shipped three weeks earlier than the national street date of September 20th.
      Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    3. russweiss
      russweiss
      $44.00 for the pre-order. A bit expensive but I collect posters and this is one of my favorite films.
    4. TheWZA
      TheWZA
      I don't really understand the "exclusive bonus slipcover" premium that Scream has started offering with both this and ROTLD. What are you supposed to do with an extraneous empty slipcover? It's almost like they're acknowledging the double dip by saying "Here you go, slap this on your old Universal Blu-ray!"

I realize you also get 2 posters and early shipping, but still an extra slipcover is weird. Seems to be working because this and ROTLD sold out lightning fast.
    5. burieddeep
      burieddeep
      I agree...makes no sense. No rush for me in picking this one up.
    6. Workshed
      Workshed
      But what if the bonus slipcover were a puzzle that also had bare breasts?
    7. MorallySound
      MorallySound
      Well, the Pieces puzzle fit inside the case... Where do you store an extra slipcover? Unless one is slightly bigger and fits over the other slipcover ala The Willies VHS dual slipcase.
    8. russweiss
      russweiss
      Just flatten the slip cover and put it next to the disc. Doesn't even really take up any extra space.
    9. zbinks
      zbinks
      https://www.facebook.com/ScreamFact...24939.103961936407493/807523376051342/?type=3
    10. Steel76
      Steel76
      I wonder how "new" that scan really is, since basically all scans are done in 4K these days.
      Zombie Dude likes this.
    11. Zombie Dude
      Zombie Dude
      Yeah it seems really odd a movie as popular as The Thing not getting a 4k scan.
      Steel76 likes this.
    12. X-human
      X-human
      4k is becoming routine. And for a film to garner enough cache for a recent prequel/sequel/reboot/re-imaging you'd think they'd do 4k, at the very least in expectation of packaging it with said p/s/r/r on the shelves when the "brand new 4k transfer" sticker was all the rage like Superbit once was; had the p/s/r/r been a hit.

In fact a lot of these perennial titles like Carrie or Army of Darkness once kept close to Universal's chest, while licensing everything else out just to make a buck, are now with Shout.

There is lurking in the back of mind the fact that Universal is preparing for UHD. Are they flooding the 2k market in anticipation of the 4k market? Is that also why their Hammer and Universal Classic titles are unceremoniously getting dumped on Blu-ray here and overseas? The upcoming Frankenstein and Wolfman boxsets will be very telling I think. They've been touting working on their 4k remasterings for a couple of years now. If it's the same old 2k transfers we'll known. And I'll admit even if it's the 4k transfers I'll still be suspicious.
      Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
    13. Myron Breck
      Myron Breck
      Whatever. I'm buying it anyway, and most of you are too. I may have to hold onto my old blu if they royally fuck up the transfer, but I'll definitely get this for the extra content.
    14. Workshed
      Workshed
      Interesting behind-the-scenes tidbit from the new Scream commentary:

Interesting detail to look for in that final scene. Here it is, BTW.

via io9