Scream Queens - discussion thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Paff, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

New horror comedy TV show from the creators of American Horror Story, starring Emma Roberts and Jamie Lee Curtis. Discuss here.

2. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Nothing about this show looks appealing to me. Sure, the target demographic for this show seems to be young, teen girls so I'm not going to get angry over the hokey nature of the it, but I don't care to watch this at all.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

It's two hours tonight, so I'm gonna see if they can pull me in with that. Hell, it can't be any worse than the dreadfully dull Fear The Walking Dead

Mok likes this.
  4. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

To be clear: this has nothing to do with the "Scream" TV show? This is its own thing and only happens to also have "Scream" in its title?

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yes, totally different animal.

They were promoting the hell out of it at Comic-Con this past July, with San Diego Trolleys covered in ads:
    [​IMG]

and even a Scream Queens RIDE:
    [​IMG]

So, slave to the Hollywood Hype Machine that I am (not really), they'll get two hours of my time from their efforts. Actually an hour and a half. I'll DVR it and skip through the commercials.

6. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Nice, thanks, Paff. Since SCREAM is on MTV (I think) and this is VH1 (I think), I thought there might be some sort of tie.

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Hoping for the best, but expecting a hot mess like the last few seasons of American Horror Story have been.

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, I gave it two hours, and....no. Won't be watching this one. I admit, there were some creative murders and Jamie Lee Curtis was fantastic, but the sorority girls (and even the pledges) have no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Pass.

9. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Was so bummed this wasn't a reality show to cast for Saw 8 (or some other new horror movie in the works)! It stole the fucking title of the show that did that for other Saw flicks! Once I found out it was scripted and caught a TV spot, I knew there was no need to see it.

10. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Wow, that was a mess. I really thought I'd like it - I actually liked the first couple seasons of GLEE before it went off the rails and this show is the same creators - but this was just bad. The tone was all over the place, the characters had no consistency and the suspensions of disbelief were just too much to ask, even for a horror slasher spoof. Sadly, it was much more along the lines of the disastrous, nonsensical final seasons of GLEE. Not a good way to start a new series, especially one they expect to continue for multiple seasons a la AMERICAN HORROR STORY.

There were some cool murder scenes (the riding mower) but also some dumb ones (face to face texting with the killer.) Jamie Lee Curtis was much better than the material. Emma Roberts can play the bitchy, self-obsessed snob in her sleep but they made a huge mistake in showing her bumbling, goofball side in some scenes. She didn't play those scenes nearly as well and it undermined the one strong youth character the writers managed to produce. No one else made much of an impression to bother mentioning.

The ratings weren't very good and there was a severe decline in viewership over the 2-hour premiere. Since it's Ryan Murphy and company, Fox will probably stick with it the full season even if the ratings are weak - though I could imagine them moving it to a less demanding time slot or even burning off the episodes late night Saturdays as they have with several previous flop series. I'll probably give it another episode or two to see if maybe the elements come together better but I don't have much confidence.

11. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Meh fuck the haters I enjoyed the hell out of the first two episodes.

maybrick likes this.
  12. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

From the creators of Glee?......:eek:

That's all I needed to know.

13. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

14. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Count me in for the camp of people who like and will continue to watch. After the negative reviews here I went in not expecting much, but was quite pleasantly surprised. The Glee factor also made me skeptical but I see that those guys are also behind AHS. I like the dialogue and the lack of political correctness. The kills are decent. More than anything though, you are watching for Jamie Lee Curtis and Emma Roberts (nearly the same character as Madison from AHS) who put on great, entertaining performances. Contrary to what some have criticized, I find the tone to be pretty consistently comedic and satirical.

15. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I enjoyed the heck out of it!! Jamie Lee is great!!

16. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I liked it. Will continue to watch, it's only a 15 episode season. I was surprised by the language for a 8:00pm show... Dean box munch and calling the girls gashes made me laugh.

17. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Last night's episode was just alright. Not as good as the first two. If they fine tuned the dialogue just a tad it would work so much better. Not every character needs to have quick-fire quirky lines. It's like they all have the same sense of humour or something. Still liking it, but that's something that could certainly be improved.

18. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I didn't know that Scream Queens was going to be a horror comedy. I thought it was hilarious. I've never seen Glee. Maybe I need to check that out if this sort of characterization is normal for the people in charge. The choice of music at times was awesome. Emma is great playing an even more outrageous version of the character she played in American Horror Story Coven. Jamie Lee is great too. Every single role I've seen her in she always brings something different and surprising. And her character is crazy in this show. In fact just about everyone is nuts. The last episode had some insane stuff going on. The kills are really out there.

I thought it was going to be multiple killers from the beginning like that other popular horror comedy movie. Now I'm thinking it will be like those old murder mysteries where everyone is killing or taking a stab at some one.

19. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Fuck baseball. :mad:

This song rules. Can't believe its not a somg of its own. It was written just for the show:

20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I like the show quite a bit, actually. It's like Scream combined with Heathers and Wet Hot American Summer. It's fun.